Music in the office

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Who thinks this is a good idea? My co-workers, apparently.

We just hooked up a spare laptop to the office PA system, and it was then that I knew I was doomed. They asked me what I wanted to hear, but I just told them that my music would offend everyone. So they play shitty 80s all day. I'm currently typing this while The Romantics "Talkin' In Your Sleep" plays. I don't know how I can find such inoffensive music so offensive, but this shit is killing me.

Perma-headphone mode for me. Time to bring the over-ears into work.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shitty music vs ignant azz local talk radio?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    The ironic thing is that people whose musical interest is beyond the radio futter usually never force their specific taste upon their co-workers. So the tasteless stuff is always played at the workplace.
    My guess is it actually irritates more people than you'd know, also because it's bad for concentration.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I forgot to add that I get pegged as the hater, which is what i get for having taste.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    hairy asshole related.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    jdeez said:
    hairy asshole related.

Hahahaha.

Update: now someone put it on the Jurassic 5 Pandora station. I don't know what's worse.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i got NPR and Pandora geeks at work.
    i have a box and a gang of cds to blast them out.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    We used to have a rota system when I worked under such conditions. Everyone got to put a CD on in turn. I actually found I liked some stuff that I would have finger-crucifixed on reputation alone. The imaginary worse-case scenario of folls deliberately clowning with blipcore 200bpm house or noise metal never transpired.

In return, I never troubled them with "Stellar Regions".

• Idiots in my office play reggae through their laptops, internal speakers only.. Drives me crazy..

Bass music with no bass...great..

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    jdeez said:
    hairy asshole related.

Hahahaha.

Update: now someone put it on the Jurassic 5 Pandora station. I don't know what's worse.

My fear that no matter what I type into Pandora that it's going to select Jurassic 5 songs for me is the very reason why I've never visited Pandora.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    One of my coworker's Pandora features a heavy rotation of songs used in current national television advertising campaigns.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    I'm in a small office with 2 other people, who will listen to same 20 shitty lesbian-folk songs on ipod rotation all day unless I take control of the soundsystem. Apparently they are quite oblivious to the fact that they hear the same song every hour or so, day in day out..

I feel bad that I control the sound system more often that I feel entirely comfortable with, but being a DJ for all my grown life has made me super sensitive to what music is playing in the background..

"She" seems to appreciate my selection of oldschool samba: "Oh I like the music today", whilst "he" would be quite content to listen to the same portishead album for the rest of his natural life..

could be worse I guess..

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Who thinks this is a good idea?

Get an office with a door and stick a turntable in there, Ross. Then it is a very good idea.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    In other words, private music in the office is always a good idea. Public music is generally NAGL.

• arvidarvid 50 Posts
    frenzie said:
    shitty lesbian-folk

Please post an example, this must be a great genre.