Media in the UK - Sh*t hitting the fan?

Comments

• i think i just heard the sound of shit starting to hit a fan:

3:39pm UK, Sunday July 17, 2011
    Brooks Arrested In Phone Hacking Probe

Rebekah Brooks has been arrested by officers investigating allegations of corruption and phone hacking.

The 43-year-old went to a London police station by appointment at midday today and is being held on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications and corruption allegations.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201009116032015

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i think i just heard the sound of shit starting to hit a fan:

Rebekah Brooks has been arrested by officers investigating allegations of corruption and phone hacking.

The 43-year-old went to a London police station by appointment at midday today and is being held on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications and corruption allegations.

Gotta admit that she's a spin master.

If I ever get arrested I'm going to say that I'm "assisting with a police investigation".

(Of a crime I committed)

• Horseleech said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i think i just heard the sound of shit starting to hit a fan:

Gotta admit that she's a spin master.

If I ever get arrested I'm going to say that I'm "assisting with a police investigation".

(Of a crime I committed)

or the equally brilliant, "Arrested by appointment"- sounds like she's attending a garden party

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    i saw Murdoch's filthy 'apology' in a broadsheet yesterday. what a total, vile disgrace that is and the most offensive thing i've seen in some time. they must be having a great laugh about that. i was so fucking steaming i punched a hardwood cabinet. just fuck off and die murdoch you piece of shite

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Britain's most senior police officer, the London Chief of police, has resigned over ties to the hacking - Cameron is going down.

Police Chief Out

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    The whole thing goes well beyond pure phone hacking and Murdoch hating. It exposes insidious top level collusion between government, law and order and the press. In that repsect it's worse than Watergate which was at least confined to the first two groups.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    No shots, Rishan, but this default tendency to paint Rupert Murdoch as a kind of evil puppetmaster, pulling all the strings and destroying lives on the daily is, imho, utter bollocks. It's not as black and white as that. Sure, it's his political, journalistic and economic values that have historically shaped News International and, by extension, NewsCorp. There can be no doubt about that. But, despite the plethora of Citizen Kane moments over the last couple of weeks, he isn't really a hands-on proprietor and hasn't been for a very long time (his idiot son, on the other hand...). No, his trick is to appoint people he knows and trusts - people who share his values and with whom he's had long relationships - to positions of power, so he doesn't have to worry about things like his papers suddenly turning pinko overnight without any kind of decree from him. He's an 80-y-o man. Just because he looks like Montgomery Burns...

The problem he now has is that he's successfully dictated the journalistic agenda (at least in the UK) for such a long time that he believes his kingmaker status has rendered him and his empire bulletproof, so he's probably had a few shocks recently. While the phonehacking scandal only affected celebrities and footballers, he could have rode it out. The moment it involved a dead kid, it was only ever going to end in tears. And now that it clearly involves endemic corruption and law-breaking, it's beginning to unravel at such a pace that it's hard to keep track of it. Just this evening, the chief of the Met has had to resign after it was revealed he'd accepted ??12000-worth of largesse from a client of the PR company run by the ex-NOTW editor arrested earlier in the week in connection with the phone-hacking investigations. Now I've just read that the Serious Fraud Office wants to take a look at NI's books.

This could go anywhere now.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    staxwax said:

If you have a mobile number i can use any phone to acces the voicemail messages of that number- if I have the voicemail message acces code. Hardly anyone bothers to change this acces code from the standard 0000 code and even if they have it is very easy to hack a four digit code.

Easier still, I heard that some reporters called the phone company claiming to be whomever, said I can't remember my voicemail code, and the operators provided the code. That easy.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "I'll take responsibility: what about you?"

• nutriciousnutricious 118 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    staxwax said:

If you have a mobile number i can use any phone to acces the voicemail messages of that number- if I have the voicemail message acces code. Hardly anyone bothers to change this acces code from the standard 0000 code and even if they have it is very easy to hack a four digit code.

Easier still, I heard that some reporters called the phone company claiming to be whomever, said I can't remember my voicemail code, and the operators provided the code. That easy.

what i read is that sometimes it's enough to just call with the caller id/phone number belonging to that voicemail, which can be done pretty easily thru certain voice ip redirection services... hopefully not much longer though!

"You're sure they can't see me, right?"

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The Sun needs to start a campaign to 'Find our missing PM' or 'Bring Cam home!'. Pathetic little weasel thinks he can hide abroad and avoid all this ish.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Sunday evening between programs on BBC1, and up popped a quick reminder of the events that were going to be covered on the News At Ten. Lady at the desk said the main headline was that Rebekah Brooks had been arrested in connection w/ the hacking scandal, more to follow in the main program at ten, and then, impartiality be damned, she smiled like a Cheshire cat til the shot changed.

I fucking LOL'ed.

"Give me the blue pill"

Special dedication to man like John Yates.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    No shots, Rishan, but this default tendency to paint Rupert Murdoch as a kind of evil puppetmaster, pulling all the strings and destroying lives on the daily is, imho, utter bollocks. It's not as black and white as that..

i was just letting it out to calm myself down a bit! honestly, i had just read that 'apology' and was seething with rage about the whole villainous thing.

This movie needs to be made.

David Cameron's meetings with News International executives in one year exceed those with all other news organizations put together. Not one meeting with anyone from the BBC was given.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/david-cameron-paul-stephenson-hacking

"Thirdly, the record of meetings between Cameron and News International executives released on Friday does not reveal a modernising prime minister governing in the national interest, but a victim of a vested interest. His meetings with News International executives in a year exceed those with all other news organisations put together. Not a single figure from the BBC was granted an audience. It is one of those assemblages of small facts that change the way a public figure is viewed."

• check out the wsj's attempt at whitewashing this scandal and misdirecting its readers:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303661904576451812776293184.html?mod=djkeyword

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Been having problems logging in but had to keep trying in order to post this shining example of the story behind the story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015563/Elisabeth-Murdoch-threw-party-Camerons-cronies-hours-beofre-Milly-Dowler-scandal.html

That article has boiled my blood more than any other coverage.And i'm not sure why, but something about that smug womble Clarkson being present seems to elevate the hatred.

nzshadow said:

Yesterday, Jeremy Clarkson defended Mrs Brooks in his column in The Sun: 'Rebekah is one of my closest friends and I'm sorry but I cannot accept that she sanctioned the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone, knowing that it would cause the girl's poor parents to believe their beloved daughter was still alive??? I'd sooner believe that my mother spends her evenings working as a rent boy.'

Revelation after revelation after revelation :oh_my:

Meanwhile, whistleblower found dead... Police say death 'not suspcious'.

I'm surprised by Clarkson sticking up for her so much. I would be backing away big time

Let the conspiracy's begin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Wow.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    DOR said:
    I'm surprised by Clarkson sticking up for her so much. I would be backing away big time

Let the conspiracy's begin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare

Clarkson allegedly took out a super-injunction recently to prevent a personal scandal making the news. I am betting she could throw more dirt on him than a gravedigger and he's covering his back in the vain hope she'll not sling shit his way if/when she walks the plank.

J i m s t e r said:
    Clarkson allegedly took out a super-injunction recently to prevent a personal scandal making the news.

That him and Hammond are really having an affair?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Louise Boat, neither funny or clever.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The Murdochs (Burns & Smithers) are about to give evidence to the select committee, if anyone is interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10318089

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/2011/jul/19/phone-hacking-rupert-murdoch-rebekah-brooks-mps

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Rupert Murdoch - "This is the most humbling day of my life."

Not buying it.