Media in the UK - Sh*t hitting the fan?

123457»

Comments

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    the worst thing is how everyone seems to be learning nothing - bskyb's rousing support of james murdoch, their attempts to appease shareholders today with a 1 billion rebate on shares - cameron rebutting all attempts to make him take responsibility for hiring coulson, or make him admit that there was chorus of disapproval surrounding that choice - i the good doc is correct, you can't keep this one down.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Cover up? Hush money?
    Cameron will surely come down on these rotten folk with the full force of the law. 5 years for a bottle of water, 50 for bribing police?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Was just reading this. It was hard watching the frustratingly toothless enquiry / committee review. Murdoch Sr. playing dumb whilst Jr. filibustered and bullshitted. We all knew they were lying, but that didn't seem to matter.

I'm sure all the rioting was a very welcome distraction for them. Hopefully this letter, and the repercussions it should cause, will make sure these scumbags aren't forgotten about.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I find it all extremely messed up.

Cameron is dealing with all this, while at the same time talking about monitoring people's online activities.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/26/glenn-mulcaire-news-world-phone-hacking

I love that Steve F*cking Coogan is getting the names. They should just make him PM, no?

You know he said "Ah-haaa" when he saw them:

James Murdoch [strike]lying[/strike], testifying to a Select Committee again. Here's a peach:

Tom Watson : "Mr Murdoch, I think you must be the first mafia boss in history who didn't know he was running a criminal enterprise"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15673551#TWEET25704

• Also, Paul Farrelly saying, "So in July 2009 you were the only person in London who thought there was one rogue reporter."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Utterly expected behaviour. So when he wasn't literally in bed with Wendy Deng, he was metaphorically in bed with Rebekah Brookes and all the while teaching Murdoch how to more effectively fuck people over. Still, I feel like he's far more qualified to give legal advice to super villains than he is for any of the other positions he's held since leaving the gov, should probably just make it official.

DocMcCoy said:

He said the inquiry would be "Hutton style" ??? a reference to Lord Hutton's inquiry into the death of David Kelly ??? and would "clear" her,

So is it just me, or reading between-the-lines it sounds like he's suggesting a whitewash, which would then imply that the Hutton inquiry was also a whitewash.

Tony Blair is such a shit-stained cunt-bucket.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    On a slightly different media note, am I to undewrstand you guys have 4 TV channels now? I thought it was only the 3. I am???kinda serious about that.

DB_Cooper said:
    On a slightly different media note, am I to undewrstand you guys have 4 TV channels now? I thought it was only the 3. I am???kinda serious about that.

It was 4 domestic analogue channels since the early '80s, then a 5th started in 1997. Now we've gone digital (you can't get tv via an arial any more as I think they wanted the bandwidth for more mobile phone coverage or something), most people have some kind of 'box' similar to American cable, lots of channels you don't want (similar to American cable), and lots of good stuff that you have to pay extra for (sports, movie channels etc).

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    DB_Cooper said:

It was 4 domestic analogue channels since the early '80s, then a 5th started in 1997. Now we've gone digital (you can't get tv via an arial any more as I think they wanted the bandwidth for more mobile phone coverage or something), most people have some kind of 'box' similar to American cable, lots of channels you don't want (similar to American cable), and lots of good stuff that you have to pay extra for (sports, movie channels etc).

That sounds more like it. The extra hundreds of channels of unwatchable crap are comforting for some reason. You know, not that would watch it, but if I had too for some reason, it would be there.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    DB_Cooper said:

YOU DISS BABESTATION, YOU DISS YOURSELF.

J i m s t e r said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DB_Cooper said:

YOU DISS BABESTATION, YOU DISS YOURSELF.

There is something strangely fascinating with watching these obviously bored girls trying to look constantly sexy and turned-on. The space-hoppers are too much though, never know whether to laugh, or uhm, just stare.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Ladies, gentlemen, others - let's hear it for British Justice.

Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

He said the inquiry would be "Hutton style" ??? a reference to Lord Hutton's inquiry into the death of David Kelly ??? and would "clear" her,

So is it just me, or reading between-the-lines it sounds like he's suggesting a whitewash, which would then imply that the Hutton inquiry was also a whitewash.

Tony Blair is such a shit-stained cunt-bucket.