Media in the UK - Sh*t hitting the fan?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I'm all for putting Giggsy off his stroke.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Again, I'm not convinced it's as big a grey area as some are suggesting. When a paper can present a legitimate public interest defence, I think most reasonable people will wear a journalist doing something ethically questionable. But when hacks start acting all Woodward and Bernstein when what they're most interested in is who Robbie Williams is shagging...well, fuck that noise.

This.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Being the Mirror it might be bs. But 6 billion! In a week :freeway:

• So now that Rupert Murdoch has withdrawn the bid for BSkyB I think it's only right that the public and parliament move on to fucking up the Daily Mail's business.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I think there's the small matter of several dozen bent coppers to deal with first...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The best thing about this thread is that not one Yank has come in here to dogpile on about how fucked up your Government, Media, Country is.

Can we send Jamie Oliver back now?

Rockadelic said:
    The best thing about this thread is that not one Yank has come in here to dogpile on about how fucked up your Government, Media, Country is.

I thought you already had...? ;)

To be honest, I'm a little surprised none of you have chimed in at all until now. I know the story's beginning to build (cover of Time this week), but I guess it hasn't really caught fire over there yet, although it's not as if it doesn't have any kind of US angle at all. .

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Rockadelic said:

I thought you already had...? ;)

To be honest, I'm a little surprised none of you have chimed in at all until now. I know the story's beginning to build (cover of Time this week), but I guess it hasn't really caught fire over there yet, although it's not as if it doesn't have any kind of US angle at all. .

Well there is all that left wing bias ya know...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Point taken, and not wanting to defend lazy criticism (as I'm a prime culprit), but in case it makes you feel any better, I hold a US birth certificate* and used to live there...

But I have tried to limit my poasting to football talk, gifs of stupid accidents, and even the odd bit of musical discussion.

Rockadelic said:

Yes. Nobody deserves that. Not even America.

Brooks has finally fallen on her sword.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You have to wonder, why now?

Maybe this is just the next step in their P.R. campaign to try rectify all their image. They're apparently going to put out a full page ad apologising to everyone at some point. Maybe they hope that in 6 months we will have forgotten about it all, or forgiven them, so he can try and take over Sky again.

Or was it that major shareholder and Saudi Prince dude said yesterday on Newsnight that Brooks has to go, so maybe that's why she finally gone.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14163988 (LOL at a Saudi billionaire claiming he's big on ethics.)

Okem said:
    You have to wonder, why now?

Because there's a BBC strike today, and, given NI's antipathy towards the Beeb, denying them the chance to gloat and/or splash it all over the news broadcasts is a final fuck-you?

Apparently, Murdoch's daughter Elisabeth has told friends that Brooks has fucked the family business.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Would that also be the business that daddy bought back off his daughter for ??200M+ a while back? It's not made her happy has it? (although, she is a woman).

I think she means the Genco Pura Olive Oil type business, as opposed to her own particular side-hustle.

• On a side note, where are all the satirical TV & radio programmes mining what is surely a massive source of material?

I read a comment somewhere that they should bring Spitting Image back. It can't be worse than the likes of Mock The Week which, quite weirdly for a topical show, didn't mention this hacking business even once during the past two shows.

Murdoch also said that Sky News could be more popular if it emulated his US channel Fox News.

The committee's minutes said: "He believed that Sky News would be more popular if it were more like the Fox News channel.

"Then it would be 'a proper alternative to the BBC'. One of the reasons that it is not a proper alternative to the BBC is that no broadcaster or journalist in the UK knows any different.

"Mr Murdoch stated that Sky News could become more like Fox without a change to the impartiality rules in the UK.

For example, Sky had not yet made the presentational progress that Fox News had."

FFS, I hope the-powers-that-be have taken note. If they needed a better reason to throw Murdoch and his businesses out of the country, this is it.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    neil_something said:
    On a side note, where are all the satirical TV & radio programmes mining what is surely a massive source of material?

I thought this was pretty good, hopefully you guys can see it.

Colbert also opened his show last night with faux dramatic lead: "WILL the phone hacking scandal be the end of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp????.......No.."

Good thread btw, lot of interesting insight from Doc and others. Will be interesting to see how much fallout there is in the US, and though I can't really bring myself to watch, I'd be interested to know how Fox News has been covering everything. Wonder if they're disclaiming coverage of NI by mentioning they share a parent company.

crabmongerfunk said:

Words cannot describe...

What a bunch of fuckheads. PR is right...
    Makes me think of when someone kills somebody and there mom is shown on tv saying that they really are a good person.

They completely dismiss everything to do with what this is totally about.

• Just read that Les Hinton (CEO of Wall Street Journal) has resigned... There can't be more revelations about to come out, surely?

Too. Much. News.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I don't know much about computers and electronics.

Were the Wiki-Leaks obtained through the same type of "hacking" as what's being discussed here.

I'm not speaking morally, but mechanically.

Which wikileaks? You mean all the cables that were released? No, that was someone who worked for the military and had access and made copies and released them.

But this whole thing happening right now is not just really abut hacking. There are much bigger things at play.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Unherd said:

I'd be interested to know how Fox News has been covering everything. Wonder if they're disclaiming coverage of NI by mentioning they share a parent company.

This online article:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/15/uk-newspaper-exec-rebekah-brooks-resigns-amid-phone-hacking-scandal/?test=latestnews

Does mention shared ownership toward the end.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DOR said:
    Which wikileaks? You mean all the cables that were released? No, that was someone who worked for the military and had access and made copies and released them.

But this whole thing happening right now is not just really abut hacking. There are much bigger things at play.

NOTW reporters weaseled their way into people's voice mail using deception.
    Bradley Manning and others, allegedly, shared classified info they had legit access to.

But I think the point is fair.
    If thegoal was abuse of power, instead of gossip, I might say that the 'reporters might have broken laws but should be protected under the public's right to know'.

Lets free Bradley Manning and put Murdach in an isolation cell with no clothing and minimal nutrition.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    WhoIsStanPapi said:

Please, please, please let this move to Fox News soon.

I'd like to withdraw my earlier remarks about Milliband as well. He's really taken it to both the government and Murdoch over this last week. Certainly looked a lot more statesmanlike that Cameron, who's gone missing like a common Steven Gerrard this last few days. Can't think why that is...

neil_something said:
    I'd be interested to know how Fox News has been covering everything.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    I don't know much about computers and electronics.

Were the Wiki-Leaks obtained through the same type of "hacking" as what's being discussed here.

I'm not speaking morally, but mechanically.

Its completely different - hacking into other computers or computer networks to alter websites or obtain information contained within the network or the code is whats commonly known as computer hacking, mostly perpetrated by 'hackers' or groups of hackers such as anonymous.

Wikileaks publish information that has been leaked to them - ie someone has classified information (be it files, documents, video, whatever) they pass this on to wikileaks, who then study it and decide on when and how to release it - wikileaks have never engaged in computer hacking as far as I know - this would seriously discredit their neutrality or integrity as a whistle blowing organisation.

What has happened in the Uk was that private phones, which reporters/paps used to be able to listen to fairly easily using relatively ordinary transmittting / receiving gear, became more sophisticated - so you would need more sophisticated and illegal equipment to listen in on private conversations - but mostly it involves reporters hacking voice mail codes.

If you have a mobile number i can use any phone to acces the voicemail messages of that number- if I have the voicemail message acces code. Hardly anyone bothers to change this acces code from the standard 0000 code and even if they have it is very easy to hack a four digit code. After which you have complete acces to someones recorded messages. This is mainly what the phone hacking scandal in the UK is about - it was standard practice among news corp reporters.

The first fox clip above is especially moronic as they are talking about 'hacking in general is a threat' , when these different forms of hacking involve completely different issues. Its deliberately confusing and clouding the issue to skirt the actual issue. standard fox m.o.

Hope that clears it up.

It really is important for reporters, lawyers and politicians to go after Murdoch in the US - its quite likely more and more shit will fly - lawsuits are already happening, and I'm sure nothing would please the obama administration more given their hostile relationship with Fox - Murdoch clearly is an evil, racist, cynical, corrupting force within journalism, business, politics and society.

Anyway - I liked this dickensian parody of the rupert murdoch scandal.

DocMcCoy said:
    Certainly looked a lot more statesmanlike that Cameron, who's gone missing

The Prime Minister isn't missing. He's in Rupert Murdoch's pocket, where he's always been.

Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Certainly looked a lot more statesmanlike that Cameron, who's gone missing

The Prime Minister isn't missing. He's in Rupert Murdoch's pocket, where he's always been.

Not such a good place to be right now. The members of Murdoch's inner circle are dropping like flies at a rate to rival that final round of whackings in The Sopranos. Certainly, Cameron's inadequacies as a politician are writ pretty large at the moment, and you have to wonder how he managed to make a success of a career in public relations after the way he's conducted himself during this shitshow.