Quitting Facebook

Comments

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    I say ...say no to facebook and all that shit twitter and them, and spend more time communiicating with people on the train, in the cab, on the street, the vendor, the chick with the fat ass,little kids, the old confused woman..
    AMELIE POULAIN that shit if you know what I mean, and save the world from being a total digitally focusses staring at screens wherever they are , in so much need of so called socialzing, while in fact being anti social where it counts..

fuck that shit. its plastic

and

BRING IT BACK!!!!

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Jamal said:
    I say ...say no to facebook and all that shit twitter and them, and spend more time communiicating with people on the train, in the cab, on the street, the vendor, the chick with the fat ass,little kids, the old confused woman..
    AMELIE POULAIN that shit if you know what I mean, and save the world from being a total digitally focusses staring at screens wherever they are , in so much need of so called socialzing, while in fact being anti social where it counts..

fuck that shit. its plastic

You can do both (Facebook and talking to old confused women on the street). The social media stuff is a great way to communicate, and brings us new opportunities on several levels. Twitter has high impact on what we call news and who brings it. Be glad you live in the exiting age where all these new ways of connecting (information age) happen!

b/w

You sound old

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    leon said:

You sound old

I'm beginning to wonder if the human specie is built for this avalanche of information. I for one am getting completely burnt out on it. Quitting Facebook is a step in the right direction. Hopefully now that people can't find me on there, they will pick up a phone and call me.

• Jamal said:
    I say ...say no to facebook and all that shit twitter and them, and spend more time communiicating with people on the train, in the cab, on the street, the vendor, the chick with the fat ass,little kids, the old confused woman.. save the world from being a total digitally focusses staring at screens wherever they are , in so much need of so called socialzing, while in fact being anti social where it counts..fuck that shit. its plastic

Man Who Temporarily Disables Facebook Account Deems Self 'Off The Grid'

February 24, 2011 | ISSUE 47???08
    Article Tools

ATLANTA???After deciding to disable his Facebook account in an effort to increase productivity, Chad Allen announced in a Facebook update Thursday that he was now "off the grid." "I'm dropping off the radar for a while," wrote Allen, 36, who lives in a two-story house with running water, electricity, regular garbage pickup, wireless Internet access, and high-definition satellite television service. "If you need something, text me." Allen has not been heard from since earlier this afternoon, when he confirmed via Twitter that he was "maintaining radio silence" and then checked in to his local coffee shop on Foursquare.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Dudes are talking about quitting this or that site but it's really about quitting the computer. There's so much better stuff you (and I) could be doing with our time.

I know. It's a process...

but I'm saying. Shit isn't about Facebook. All these sites are basically either being used as blunt communication or brand promotion devices (yes, even people who aren't set up as a business per se are hawking themselves in 2011). Use it for what you need. And then, command+Q.

Speaking of which...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The day Jonny lets me come hang in shop in my underwear is the day I quit the net.

The net is a liberating experience!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Hopefully now that people can't find me on there, they will pick up a phone and call me.

I hope you're right. Setting aside its usefulness for event promotion, an unfortunate % of my social plans seem to come together on facebook. I always try to remember to include the (sadly, very few) friends who don't maintain accounts, but I wonder if people are generally conscientious about this, or if there's an out-of-site, out-of-mind mentality at work.

onetet said:
    Setting aside its usefulness for event promotion, an unfortunate % of my social plans seem to come together on facebook. .

This is reason #5678 I was driven away. Way to many push notifications on my phone from DJs inviting me to their DJ night 700 miles away.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    RAJ said:
    onetet said:
    Setting aside its usefulness for event promotion, an unfortunate % of my social plans seem to come together on facebook. .

This is reason #5678 I was driven away. Way to many push notifications on my phone from DJs inviting me to their DJ night 700 miles away.

I hear that. I turned off the push notifications the day they implemented them.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    The main thing I've gotten from Facebook is that most of my "friends" are terribly unfunny and annoying.

DOR said:
    I'd love to drop fb right now and stick to google+

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i deleted that shit last year. best thing i ever did. everything about it wreaks.

jammy said:
    i deleted that shit last year. best thing i ever did. everything about it wreaks.

Another gripe: 20 years later, same high school cliques.

• Aren't facebook groups the same as circles?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I log into FB when I check my email accounts, which is once or twice a day. I spend very little time on it compared to when I was younger. I temporarily disabled my account once but just found other ways to procrastinate instead.

It's a great networking tool, I'm glad it's around. As for it's obsolescence, which is what I think some might be getting at, I don't think we're there yet. Too much money in FB for it to be trumped by G+ just yet. If it's taken ppl 5 years to jump on the FB bandwagon, I'm sure FB has a while to go before it becomes irrelevant in lieu of G+ growing popularity.

Is G+ getting HS kids yet? They drive this stuff, and have the most time to kill.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    RAJ said:
    onetet said:

That "invite me to a party that's happening on the other side of the country" shit drives me up the wall. I do the event-invite thing on Facebook, but I only invite people who are local to where I'm playing and who might like the kind of music being played.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Almond said:
    I log into FB when I check my email accounts, which is once or twice a day. I spend very little time on it compared to when I was younger.

When you were younger?
    How old are you, and how long has Facebook been around??? The invention still seems recent to me!

As for me...

to paraphrase the Otis Rush song, I can't quit it, but sometimes I feel I gotta put it down for awhile.

Myspace seemed fairly static, so it was easy to forget about it. But FB is continually active, addictive, and yes, it's a good way to keep up with people you don't see often, like ex-girlfriends or boyfriends you're still on good terms with. But it does mess with your productivity.

Day 1.... Feel Liberated... Miss it a little bit... check Soul Strut more often

pickwick33 said:
    Almond said:
    I log into FB when I check my email accounts, which is once or twice a day. I spend very little time on it compared to when I was younger.

When you were younger?
    How old are you, and how long has Facebook been around??? The invention still seems recent to me!

As for me...

to paraphrase the Otis Rush song, I can't quit it, but sometimes I feel I gotta put it down for awhile.

Myspace seemed fairly static, so it was easy to forget about it. But FB is continually active, addictive, and yes, it's a good way to keep up with people you don't see often, like ex-girlfriends or boyfriends you're still on good terms with. But it does mess with your productivity.

I joined FB in 2005, the summer I turned 18. 6 years is a long time, and it's helped me keep track of all the folks I've met in school, as well as distant relatives. It used to be open to only college students and you needed a .edu address to access it. I remember the day they added the option to upload photos. They used to have a tool that allowed you to fill in your classes, which then allowed you to see who you classmates were (which was excellent). I miss old FB and have def seen it evolve.

I used to spend a lot of time on it, but that was just procrastination. If you're spending that much time writing statuses about what your kid spilled this morn, that's your own mismanagement of time.

My teenage cousins document every moment of their lives via FB, so it's not going to lose popularity just yet. And Google seems "official" to me so I think it's going to be hard to get the kids to jump on G+ when they have FB, Twitter, YT, Tumblr, 4Chan, Stickam, etc. which are "fun n young." As for G+, I'm excited to try it, but for every person who's open to it, there will be another who will make a point to resist giving in to Big G's web monopoly. You'll prob get seated next to this person at Thanksgiving this year.

/theorizing

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You are SOOOooooo OLD!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Facebook has always been funny to me in that it's got such a high number of people who make sure to sign up for it, but then act as if they are too cool for it. Yes, just delete yourselves already...mainly so that we won't have to hear you whine about it anymore.

Batmon would not be my friend on Facebook

:cry:

batmon said:
    You are SOOOooooo OLD!

People are starting to ask me if I have kids.

RAJ said:
    Batmon would not be my friend on Facebook

:cry:

RAJ sends you an invite to Pillowfight!

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    leon said:

You can do both (Facebook and talking to old confused women on the street). The social media stuff is a great way to communicate, and brings us new opportunities on several levels. Twitter has high impact on what we call news and who brings it. Be glad you live in the exiting age where all these new ways of connecting (information age) happen!

b/w

You sound old

true
    What has it done for you?
    exciting age? non digital aka life is much more exciting. digital only replicates what is non digital..whaaaat?

b/w

im not. old soul so they say..

to each his own.

one

Jamal said:
    leon said:

b/w

You sound old

true
    exciting age? non digital aka life is much more exciting. digital only replicates what is non digital..whaaaat?

b/w

to each his own.

one

I can flirt with ex-girlfriends.
    Cant do that on the phone or in their face when they live overseas, on some island, or on the west coast.
    Its not Satan.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    batmon said:
    Jamal said:
    leon said:

b/w

You sound old

true

b/w

to each his own.

one

I can flirt with ex-girlfriends.
    Cant do that on the phone or in their face when they live overseas, on some island, or on the west coast.
    Its not Satan.

was directed towards leon..

flirt? isnt flirting only beneficial when there is chance of physical contact..even if its tiny chance..thats what your mind does..so overseas flirting is kinda meeeh..
    also why cant you do it on the phone? flirting on the phone is standard procedure ..first call to picked up girl

no its not, being opposed to something or not wanting to be a part of it, doesnt equal a scared person..

but flirt on batmone

I'm logged into Google +

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm so off the grid I don't even have internet at home.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    RAJ said:
    leon said:

You sound old

I'm beginning to wonder if the human specie is built for this avalanche of information. I for one am getting completely burnt out on it. Quitting Facebook is a step in the right direction. Hopefully now that people can't find me on there, they will pick up a phone and call me.

post phone number or you're soft.

peace, stein. . .:)