Obama Sucks

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
I posted a photo of this last year as it's right down the street I live on.

Do you think they should make him take it down?

Trophy Club homeowner's Obama flag sparks debate
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 18:20:10 CDT

TROPHY CLUB - What one woman's child saw under an American flag has now set off a city debate.

Flying underneath the American flag in front of the home of one Trophy Club home is another flag that reads "OBAMA SUCKS."
Kay Humbert first saw the flag as she walked the neighborhood with her 6-year-old daughter. ???We've chosen to live here and I don't choose that as a part of my child's reading," Humbert said. The mother said she felt offended by the flag, and said she politely confronted the homeowners. "I think we're teaching the kids up front that foul language is just fine, especially to display it," she said.
Chuck Swartz said he felt compelled to fly the flag out of frustration with the President Barack Obama administration. He's worried about the national debt that has hit $14.5 trillion. ???It's become a mainstream word," he said. "As soon as that child goes to school, she's going to hear that word virtually every day." Swartz said he travels for a living and doesn't have time to attend anti-Obama protests. ???So, I felt that this was an appropriate method to get my message across," he said.
While Trophy Club city leaders also felt the flag is inappropriate, the city attorney told them it is protected by free speech. "Are we gong to just keep spewing anger all the time so I can put a banner up?" Humbert said. "My neighbors can put a banner up. We're just going to have a freedom of speech thing going like a volley, but where does it stop?" Swartz said he won't take the flag down until Obama is out of office. ???I don't want to come across as some kind of raving lunatic out here on the corner with my flag," he said. "I'm just expressing opinion" Swartz said only two people complained compared to hundreds who voiced their support.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Let him fly it.

• Trophy Clubs are for Suckas

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I don't have kids, but I have a really hard time understanding people that try and overprotect them to this absurd degree.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    batmon said:
    Let him fly it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Let'em fly.

But aren't you at war? Support and respect the office? Surely this is treason no?

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Put up a competing "Obama's awesome" flag and call it a day.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DOR said:
    Let'em fly.

But aren't you at war? Support and respect the office? Surely this is treason no?

There are three people on Texas Death Row just for having "Bush Sucks" bumper stickers.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

There are three people on Texas Death Row just for having "Bush Sucks" bumper stickers.
    is this for real?

• holmes said:
    Rockadelic said:

is this for real?

Um, no, and the mother should teach her little darling another new word, "asshole" as in " our neighbor in the Trophy Club (whatever in the fuck that is) is an asshole."

Whole lotta stupid going around in that story.

is a trophy club like a hunting club?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    trophy club is a town in Texas...north of Dallas

Ha ha, I need to read closer, I thought they were flying the flag outside something like a Club House/Rooms or whatever for the local hunting fraternity to come & party about their kills amongst stuffed trophys of dead animals or whatever. Worst misunderstanding ever!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    holmes said:
    Worst misunderstanding ever!

Not so much.

"Trophy Club" is a really weird name for a town.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Do you think they should make him take it down?

Who is this they of which you speak?

How would they make them take it down?

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Rock, I will buy a "Chuck Swartz Sucks" flag if you fly it...and I'll still defend Chuckys right to fly his flag at the same time.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    "As soon as that child goes to school, she's going to hear that word virtually every day"

She'll hear a lot of words, that doesn't mean she should learn them from him.

Having said that, unless this in some kind of private community that has its own set of bylaws, gots to let it fly. 1st Amendment, and that.

Also, this has the makings of becoming a real-life "Butter-battle Book" situation.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Yeah,nothing really to be done there. What's he's doing could be considered rude (i.e. I have plenty of opinions, but I don't subject people to them every time they come anywhere near me), but at worst, that just makes him an annoying neighbor.

Rerog said:
    Rock, I will buy a "Chuck Swartz Sucks" flag if you fly it...and I'll still defend Chuckys right to fly his flag at the same time.

If I had a flagpole I'd do this.

Trophy Club is indeed a weird name for a town....it was literally built around a golf course designed by Byron Nelson.....I don't play golf.

Some of my neighbors are Martina Navratilova, Dobbs from "F Troop" and a few local pro athletes.....as pretentious as that sounds we don't have one of those Home Owners Associations which would almost certainly make Mr. Swartz take down his flag.

Personally I believe that we should show respect to our President, whomever he/she is, and I find the flag tasteless and ignorant.....but I support his right to be tasteless and ignorant.

And to LW....almost every town/city/municipality have laws that they can enforce regarding the appearance of the exteriror of your home and what they determine is "unsightly". This can range from the length of your grass, how many cars you park on your property to what color you paint your home. Recently in a nearby town a homeowner was forced to remove an American flag because it was too large and the flagpole was too tall.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Obama does indeed suck so incredibly much.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    holmes said:
    Worst misunderstanding ever!

Not so much.

"Trophy Club" is a really weird name for a town.

That's what I thought until I drove through White Settlement.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Obama does indeed suck so incredibly much.

That's MY kind of hope and change.

Top 3 Texas Town Names

Gun Barrel City
    Point Blank
    Cut And Shoot

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Top 3 Texas Town Names

Gun Barrel City
    Point Blank
    Cut And Shoot

New Thread!

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

And to LW....almost every town/city/municipality have laws that they can enforce regarding the appearance of the exteriror of your home and what they determine is "unsightly". This can range from the length of your grass, how many cars you park on your property to what color you paint your home. Recently in a nearby town a homeowner was forced to remove an American flag because it was too large and the flagpole was too tall.

That's a good point. Wasn't there a story/movie about a similar sort of thing, where a guy doesn't want to put up the elaborate Xmas display that his whole neighborhood does, and his neighbors harass and pressure him into doing it?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Rerog said:

If I had a flagpole I'd do this.

Trophy Club is indeed a weird name for a town....it was literally built around a golf course designed by Byron Nelson.....I don't play golf.

Some of my neighbors are Martina Navratilova, Dobbs from "F Troop" and a few local pro athletes.....as pretentious as that sounds we don't have one of those Home Owners Associations which would almost certainly make Mr. Swartz take down his flag.

Personally I believe that we should show respect to our President, whomever he/she is, and I find the flag tasteless and ignorant.....but I support his right to be tasteless and ignorant.

True that.
    If the pole or flag placement or size violates city codes, then a complaint about the size or placement can be made. If it is clear that the reason the code is being enforced is to stifle free political speech then it is time for the aclu to step in. In some cases the aclu might want to argue that free political speech trumps city codes.

I'm thinking of what a kid might read on a bumper sticker.
    Stuff a lot more obscene and hateful than that ugly flag.

Does overprotective mom have any allies in her fight against her neighbor, or is she the lone voice of outrage?

• im gonna put up a flag that says 'FLAGS SUCK'.

that'll learn 'em.

• where does the american legal system stand on images of Calvin peeing on political party logo's?

• Personally, I find these posters WAY more offensive

I was walking around Old Town Monrovia and there were two (I'm assuming) college-aged kids who had set up an information/propaganda table for this guy Lyndon LaRouche
    http://www.larouchepac.com/
    They had three of these posters up (this picture is on his website too)
    Usually when I see people pushing politics or politicians out on the street I just keep walking, but this was just too putrid to let slide. I don't care what your feelings are about Obama as a president, there is no realistic parallel between any of his actions and the organized genocide helmed by Adolf Hitler

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Martin said:
    TheKindCromang said:

Usually when I see people pushing politics or politicians out on the street I just keep walking, but this was just too putrid to let slide.

so what did you do?

I took the pamphlet they handed me and threw it in the garbage when I got around the corner.