Where can I check record prices and availability?

soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Is there anywhere other than popsike and discogs (and of course ebay) to see what people are charging for their vinyl and also what kinds of prices people are actually paying? A lot of the rarer stuff I'm coming across isn't being sold on discogs and sometimes the most recent price that popsike has will be a year or more ago on these kinds of items, I assume because they aren't changing hands too often but maybe it's because I just don't know where to look

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    http://collectorsfrenzy.com/

peace, stein. . .

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Poopsike

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    soundsreal said:
    Is there anywhere other than popsike and discogs

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    These sites are all crazy. It's all relative. You have to use them properly. You gotta take into condition the year it was sold. The condition of your copy, and also the realistic value of it all. I don't really fuck with people that pull out the popsike price. Discogs is ok, because that's a indication of what's actually available for purchase...

But yeah, as soon as someone is like "It's worth $90" and I hop on popsike and see one copy on there that sold for $90 in 2005. I'm like... ehhhh ok.

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    djsheep said:
    These sites are all crazy. It's all relative. You have to use them properly. You gotta take into condition the year it was sold. The condition of your copy, and also the realistic value of it all. I don't really fuck with people that pull out the popsike price. Discogs is ok, because that's a indication of what's actually available for purchase...

But yeah, as soon as someone is like "It's worth $90" and I hop on popsike and see one copy on there that sold for $90 in 2005. I'm like... ehhhh ok.

I agree, its totally corny. Sheep, like you I'm somebody who actually plays the records and collects for the music itself not the value, but unfortunately there are others who take advantage of people like us. I met and bought off this one cat not too long ago who got into buying and selling records strictly for the profit margin and it kinda peeved me since its due to that kind of dude that a lot of prices have gone up etc. On the other hand though its kind of a necessary evil and its also cats like him who are bringing down the prices on other stuff and increasing the availability by making people with unplayed collections dig into them and bring them into places where they can get a few bucks for them. That's kinda besides the point, but either way we look at it whether we like it or not records are a commodity, and like you said taking into consideration the condition etc. they have a certain value that they can be bought and sold for. I was lucky enough to come across a potential goldmine lately, and as much as I hate the fact of going through it and putting a dollar value on each one (albeit a flexible one) I think the fact is that if I don't accurately figure stuff out I run the risk of seriously selling myself short or even possibly cheating others if I don't have at least a pretty good idea of what I'm sittin on, which in the end translates to ending up with less music I can enjoy if I don't go about it the right way. Dig?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Jesus dude

• leonleon 883 Posts
    post pics of your 'goldmine'. I'm sure all the good folks at Soulstrut will help you figuring out the $$ questions.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    soundsreal said:
    they have a certain value that they can be bought and sold for.

The market is subjective and imprecise.

Good luck,
    JRoot

• www.gemm.com (my personal favorite)

BobDesperado said:

dude i've bid on your stuff before, never won one though haha

• dopeshitdopeshit 134 Posts
    i found that musicstack has a lot of obscure private press stuff listed thats not listed anywhere else...
    but the musicstack search function is not great you should just add the word musicstack on google

• Options
    soundsreal said:
    BobDesperado said:

Being mistaken for shuga is a new low in my life.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    soundsreal said:
    BobDesperado said:

Being mistaken for shuga is a new low in my life.

haha!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Man I remember the days were you figured out prices by just being in the game. Then again I am old and bitter.

BobDesperado said:

didn't mean to dis but trying to figure out why you would've put up that link in this thread if it isn't you. thought you were tryin to plug your store

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    the nose knows

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    Maan I remember the days where you figured out prices by just bein in DA GAME???. Then again I am old and bitter.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Jesus dude

lol how did I miss this thread?