May finds

leonleon 883 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Too keep things organised, a brand spanking new May Finds thread for all diggers. I'll start with the results of last weeks' field work:

A blogger had the Walter Carlos album in his top 5 psych-all-time list so i was happy to pick that one up a few days later.
Francis Bebey is great but i was hoping for another 'new track' LP, which it's not.
The Rolf Kuhn LP is allright.

The Ravi Shankar is great,
and yet another LP by Freddy Cole nobody knows.

Escalade is decent library stuff,
Music for Lovers LP is real Euro funk :shh:

KH carnival music has a really good island funk tune on it,
Pierre Henry is a 1968 compilation of his electronic work and really blew my mind,

Find of the month for me, an OG Dr. Strangely Strange on Vertigo, inhouse white label test pressing with double sided press sheet and band picture included. Couldn't find this one on the internet! Sleeve has some damage, notably the band's name is ripped off the sleeve. The stamp on the label is from the studio where the album was recorded. The vinyl has machine stamped matrix numbers.

If anyone needs this rare psych folk piece (cash/trade): PM!

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    jesus.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts

LP in bottom right has some nice moves and the folkways are mint with insert status

12" is wreckin crew "chance to dance/stay"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    that johnny griffin lp 2nd from the bottom right in the top pic is a really good later lp by him.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    holmes said:

Love that Esquires 45. One of the best B sides ever.

yep, one of the best cheap chicago soul 45s full stop.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

I was pretty happy to find this for a buck this morning, and since my mum's name is Judy it was a cool little synchronicity given that we're having mothers day dinner tonight!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    double post

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Gotta love HPB

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    leon said:

Find of the month for me, an OG Dr. Strangely Strange on Vertigo, inhouse white label test pressing with double sided press sheet and band picture included. Couldn't find this one on the internet!

That's a great find, but let's not get carried away:

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Default.aspx?ctl00$SearchKey=heavy+petting&SortKey=0&x=0&y=0

unless you mean the test pressing version? Still, excelsior sucka!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Gotta love HPB

That Willie Hightower lp is great Rock, are you holding on to that?

peace,xavier

• leonleon 883 Posts
    The_Non said:
    leon said:

Couldn't find this one on the internet!

unless you mean the test pressing version? Still, excelsior sucka!
    Yes, i mean this particular pressing. There are some extensive sites on the Vertigo discography where this pressing is not included.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    More store credit used by me yesterday as well as a 45 charity shop haul.

Not had a chance to listen to any of these yet could well be hopeless, great covers though!!

The rest are all trade credit:

One nice 45, not seen this before??

The Billy Wright is stunning! Chocolate Milk is a long time want, Time Machine is sublime!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    a bunch of mostly beatles 45s from yesterday flea, as long as the wax are not beat to death, usually grab these when i see em in the field for cheap, had to give them a scrub though!

• MiddleDeanMiddleDean 68 Posts
    This weeks finds.

Grateful
    Attached files

• MiddleDeanMiddleDean 68 Posts
    Part II

Thank you LazerWolf for the Main Ingredient
    Attached files

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Assagai and Carolyn Peyton field finds!?! :oh_my:

• Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
    Found this small spot in NYC over the weekend.

And found this for $1.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Plus some reggae 45s (AltonEllis,MaxRomeo,LeroySmart,BobAndy)

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    Photobucket

Eddie Foster is actually Frank Wilson pitched up a couple :lol:
    Love the look of the white M-Pac label
    New Rickey Calloway is tight.
    Strong Hank Ballard double sider.
    Lee Dorsey is essentially "Ride Your Pony" again but with different vocal.
    Record Kicks 45s are good new uptempo funk soul things. They sent me the CD which comped my Mission 45 & threw those 2 in as well.
    Check the comp details here: http://www.recordkicks.com/releases/VA-Smoove-presents-MO-RECORD-KICKS-Act-II

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    Recent finds:

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    cti grippage today

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    real ax band is a long-time want a strutter told me about that features the amazing vocalist maria archer. have had this track on repeat:

Real Ax band - "Pick Your Feet Off the Ground"

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    real ax band is a long-time want a strutter told me about that features the amazing vocalist maria archer. have had this track on repeat:

Real Ax band - "Pick Your Feet Off the Ground"

Man that track is great, i heard that on a mix (Madlib?) her voice reminds me of Googie from Air, i will be on the lookout for the record now that i know what it is. Thx.

• subsub 311 Posts
    yesterdays flea market.

1 chair find:

records:

love is blue is pretty trashed unfortunatly but loved finding the zacar orchestra which is an incredible early italian disco record. also like some of the merry clayton. free and years after are original first pressings. all were 1 euro each.

zacar orchestra:

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    fckvwls said:
    Recent finds:

I love Bollywood LP's, The covers are always artwork to me and the music is dope.
    There are so fucking many of them, I wonder whats the total of just one year in the 60/70 or 80's.
    Also what the rarest are , just outta curiousity.

ps
    diggin the zacar orchestra

Jamal,

There are lots of issues wrt bolly records. The covers and music are awesome for sure and are def eye candy if you get the right osts. Some covers can fool you w great mod art, and then have dull derivative music.

India is a country w weather conditions that are not conducive for vinyl preservation. Most sellers on ebay slang tattered copies of records that sound like theyve been skated on asphalt. Lots of soundtracks get comped for the one instrumental 'title music' track, but the rest of the album may contain nothing but traditional music.

As for whats the rarest, a lot of osts would be destroyed if the movie was a flop, so any rare scores from the 60-70s can go for loot. Some examples: doctor x, bhoot bhangla, saas Bhi kabhi bahu thi, jaise ko taise, mr romeo, naya nasha ep,

These are just osts im talking about. There are a lot other rare indian records (jazz raga style, simla beat, the savages, other garage band ish from 70s, as well as the infamous charanjit singh record if you believe it exists...)

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    fckvwls said:
    Jamal,

There are lots of issues wrt bolly records. The covers and music are awesome for sure and are def eye candy if you get the right osts. Some covers can fool you w great mod art, and then have dull derivative music.

India is a country w weather conditions that are not conducive for vinyl preservation. Most sellers on ebay slang tattered copies of records that sound like theyve been skated on asphalt. Lots of soundtracks get comped for the one instrumental 'title music' track, but the rest of the album may contain nothing but traditional music.

As for whats the rarest, a lot of osts would be destroyed if the movie was a flop, so any rare scores from the 60-70s can go for loot. Some examples: doctor x, bhoot bhangla, saas Bhi kabhi bahu thi, jaise ko taise, mr romeo, naya nasha ep,

Thanks for the info!

Yeah I certainly've been fooled by their covers a couple of times.. cover yells out banger ..music not..

didnt know about the flops e.g ost records, but now you mentioned it, it seems logical.

there are so many ost Bolly LP's cause those dudes make a movie every other hour haha.