I heard Osama is Dead!

Comments

• Options
    Duderonomy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    the US saved countless muslims through its aid to bosnian forces, its negotiation of the dayton accords, and then thru NATO's bombing the shit out of the serb forces in kosovo. bin laden on some BS as usual.

The US had to be dragged into that conflict. It was only when Tony Blair said that the UK would go it alone if Clinton wasn't interested (and I guess the idea of being out 'world-policed' by some Euromang) that the US got involved.

Damned if you intervene too soon, damned if you intervene too late, damned if you intervene, damned if you don't intervene.

Damn.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    Damned if you intervene too soon, damned if you intervene too late, damned if you intervene, damned if you don't intervene.

Damn.

^^^Truth^^^

One thing that can always be counted on is whatever actions the U.S. government takes or doesn't take there will always be critics.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Euroman obviously can't even take of their own business, they need us to do it

so they can Monday morning quarterback later

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Soulhawk said:

so they can Monday morning quarterback later

Except they probably call it Monday morning midfielder or some such.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Soulhawk said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt

Taking care of business alright.

• Options
    hertzhog said:
    Soulhawk said:

It's funny to see someone who won't even disclose what country he's from be all righteous about another country.

NomoreGarciaparra said:
    hertzhog said:
    Soulhawk said:

It's funny to see someone who won't even disclose what country he's from be all righteous about another country.

What's funnier to me is people being righteous about their own country when they have no reason to be. I'm from Finland. Happy now?

ah, Finland, the country that tries to be as quiet as possible so Russia doesn't notice them

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    My country's d*ck is bigger than your country's d*ck!

bassie said:

it's well known that your country doesn't have a dick

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    (saw that coming lol)

Which is why we don't f*ck anyone?

Our PM is feeling the envy, trust me!

bassie said:

Well, yeah. Have you seen Florida?

• Options
    hertzhog said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    hertzhog said:
    Soulhawk said:

What's funnier to me is people being righteous about their own country when they have no reason to be. I'm from Finland. Happy now?

Finland? Well, Finland never did anything wrong. Oh, wait.

"During the Continuation War (1941???1944) Finland was co-belligerent with Nazi Germany, and dependent on food, fuel and armament shipments from Germany. The country did, however, retain a democratic form of government. During the war Germany and Finland were united by a common enemy, the Soviet Union, yet Finland kept its army outside the German command structure despite numerous attempts to tie them more tightly together.

About 19,000 Soviet prisoners of war died in Finnish prison camps during the Continuation War, which means that about 30% of Soviet POWs taken by the Finns did not survive. The high number of fatalities was mainly due to malnutrition and diseases. However, about 1000 POWs are believed to have been executed.

Finnish Jews were not persecuted, and even among extremists of the Finnish Right they were highly tolerated, as many leaders of the movement came from the clergy. Of approximately 500 Jewish refugees, eight were handed over to the Germans, a fact for which Finnish prime minister Paavo Lipponen issued an official apology in 2000. The field synagogue operated by the Finnish army was probably a unique phenomenon in the Eastern Front of the war.

Approximately 2600 to 2800 Soviet prisoners of war were exchanged for 2100 Fennic prisoners of war from Germany. In November 2003, the Simon Wiesenthal Center submitted an official request to Finnish President Tarja Halonen for a full-scale investigation by the Finnish authorities of the prisoner exchange[5] In the subsequent study by Professor Heikki Ylikangas it turned out that about 2000 of the exchanged prisoners joined the Wehrmacht, but among the rest there were about 500 political officers or politically dangerous persons, who most likely perished in concentration camps. Based on a list of names, there were about seventy Jews among the extradited, although they were apparently not extradited based on ethnic grouping.

When the Finnish Army occupied Russian East Karelia between 1941 and 1944, several concentration camps were set up for Russian civilians. The first camp was set up on 24 October 1941, in Petrozavodsk. About 4000 of the prisoners perished due to malnourishment, 90% of them during the spring and summer of 1942."

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Nothing brings the Yanks together like a perceived threat from outside. Even Bobdesperado is one of the gang now.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    hertzhog said:

I opened this link, saw "US," "number 1," yawned.

SportCasual said:
    Nothing brings the Yanks together like a perceived threat from outside. Even Bobdesperado is one of the gang now.

What country do you live in??....I thought so.....must really suck for you.

I had a friend back in the day who beat the crap out of a guy for insulting his Mother.

When it was over I said "Dude, I've heard you say worse about her".

He said "She's my Mother, I can insult her if I want but if YOU do it I'm gonna kick your ass".

Somehow I don't think that concept is uniquely American.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Thanks for philosophy Rock. Let me buy you a root beer

SportCasual said:
    Thanks for philosophy Rock. Let me buy you a root beer

Can I get some Freedom Fries served on a Royal Wedding Commemorative Plate too?

NomoreGarciaparra said:
    hertzhog said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    hertzhog said:
    Soulhawk said:

"During the Continuation War (1941???1944) Finland was co-belligerent with Nazi Germany, and dependent on food, fuel and armament shipments from Germany. The country did, however, retain a democratic form of government. During the war Germany and Finland were united by a common enemy, the Soviet Union, yet Finland kept its army outside the German command structure despite numerous attempts to tie them more tightly together.
    etc.
    "

The dirty secret is out! The least you could've done was bring up some current dirt. This is like an equally idiotic version of "you can't criticize a piece of art, unless you can make a better one yourself."

• Options
    hertzhog said:
    The dirty secret is out! The least you could've done was bring up some current dirt. This is like an equally idiotic version of "you can't criticize a piece of art, unless you can make a better one yourself."

Okay. Current dirt is that Finland has universal male conscription. I guess you boys like playing with boom-booms, you just don't like to use them to help anyone else out, ever.

As much as I might despise US military activity at times - and I do - there's something to be said for a country that is often willing to shed money, blood and effort to help other countries on occasion. Piss on that all you want, but wonder if your insular little country would even exist anymore without outside help.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    hertzhog said:
    Soulhawk said:

what difference does it make where dude is from? does that make his points any less valid?
    judging by what he's said here so far, i'm guessing he probably doesn't support whatever atrocities happened in his country during wwII. btw, major US companies helped fund the Nazi's. ITT, union bank, ibm, etc.
    check this out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust

buncha kindergarten Noam Chomsky's up in here

I'm kind of amazed that a thread about Osama bin Laden morphed into the "Let's Shit on Finland Hour".

DB_Cooper said:
    I'm kind of amazed that a thread about Osama bin Laden morphed into the "Let's Shit on Finland Hour".

FUCK YO SAUNA

• Options
    DB_Cooper said:

Nah, that wasn't the point. I just thought it was funny he wouldn't say where he was from earlier when asked. Finland's okay with me.

Helsinki? More like Hell-sinki! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH???oh, wait.

DB_Cooper said:
    Helsinki? More like Hell-sinki! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH???oh, wait.

Until today I have never seen anyone here(or anywhere else) insult Finland, it's government or it's people.

• Rockadelic said:
    Until today I have never seen anyone here(or anywhere else) insult Finland, it's government or it's people.

MI jokes about the Finns:

"Teemu and Eino were driving their pickup truck to Michigammee. When they got to the traffic light in Negaunee, Teemu drove right through the red light. Eino cried, "Holywha, Teemu, what are you doing?" Teemu kept driving and replied, "Don't worry, my brother taught me to drive". When they got to the light in Ishpeming, Teemu drove through another red light. Eino asked, "Why do you keep running red lights?". Teemu said, "Don't worry, my brother taught me to drive". When they got to the light in West Ishpeming, Teemu slammed on the brakes and screeched to a halt at a green light. Eino asked, "Teemu, why do you drive through red lights but stop at green lights?". Teemu replied, "My brother might be coming the other way".

" A down-stater was sitting at the bar in Republic and asked the bartender if he would like to hear a Finnlander joke. The bartender leaned over and said, "Do you see that guy in the corner? He is the local sheriff, and he is a Finn. The man at end of the bar works for the DNR and he is a Finn. And buddy, I myself am of Finnish descent. Now, are you sure you still want to tell a Finnlander joke?" The down-stater replied, "No, not if I have to explain it three times!"

"An Italian, a Chippewa Indian and Toivo were hunting together in the Porkies and got lost. After many hours of wandering around trying to find their way back to camp, a genie appeared and said he would grant them each a wish. The Italian answered, "I wish I was back in Kingsford with my family". Poof! He was gone. The Chippewa said,"I wish I was back in Baraga with my tribe". Poof! He was gone. The genie turned to Toivo and asked him what his wish was. Toivo thought about it for a minute and said, "Boy, I really miss those guys, I wish they were back here with me".

It is a little weird to realize that there are more people within a ten mile radius of me right now than in that entire country.