A Proposal...

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
as a fan of music, i've always wondered about sonic experiments...like shipping babies into mars leaving them nothing but food, shelter and instruments and then recording them in 30 years. But that's not very ethical.One of my more feasible experiments or soemthing I've always wondered about was what if you gave the same 4 records to 50 different djs and FORCED them to use each track and no more...what would it sound like?so my proposal to you guys is if you got some spare time (don't tell me you dont, i see you making those graemlins for every conceivable comment http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3066/rawming1hd.gif ) and are in possession of Serato, Final Scratch or CDJ's, what if we all agreed on 4 mp3s to upload, and have people fuck with them? it aint no competition, just something to kind of open your eyes in terms of the potential variances of the human brain when keeping some variables (the tracks used) uniform in music. what y'all think? no deadline, just keep adding them to a thread...doesnt have to be properly mixed, just spend 5 minutes on it if need be. I think in addition to the 4 tracks selected, perhaps there could also be an acapella track...you know just for the vox or whatever. regretably i can't contribute at the moment (still deciding on my cdj), but just throwing the idea out there if anyone thinks it would be an interesting pursuit.

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I'm shokesyed

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    as a fan of music, i've always wondered about sonic experiments...
    One of my more feasible experiments or soemthing I've always wondered about was what if you gave instruments to 50 different djs and FORCED them to use them...what would it sound like?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The Blackberry label did a couple of these where they took 2MC's and 2Dj's paired them and gave them the same record to work with. Could be cool.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I'm shokesyed

stone[/b]d is the way of the walk

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The Blackberry label did a couple of these where they took 2MC's and 2Dj's paired them and gave them the same record to work with. Could be cool.

I thought it was the same beat with two dif emcees and dj's.

I heard about a dj shadow board that did a similar thing a few years ago (same samples, different people). still have the record somewhere. "influx" I think.

anyways I'm down.

anyways I'm down.

Yea, i think it was the same "beat" but then then had another record to filp the sample part.

I knew the 2mc 2dj thing wasn't going to sound right. Tomato tomaato.

1mc and 1dj on one side and 1mc and 1dj on the other side......

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

I heard about a dj shadow board that did a similar thing a few years ago (same samples, different people). still have the record somewhere. "influx" I think.

anyways I'm down.

Yeah InFlux used to do mixoffs... where everyone invloved would upload like three samples - one break/drums, and two more - and everyone would make a track using only the uploaded sounds. Acapellas were allowed overtop. I participated in two of them, and I've still got a lot of the tracks people finished. Johnbolaya was a part of those as well I think...

anyways I'm down.

Yeah InFlux used to do mixoffs... where everyone invloved would upload like three samples - one break/drums, and two more - and everyone would make a track using only the uploaded sounds. Acapellas were allowed overtop. I participated in two of them, and I've still got a lot of the tracks people finished. Johnbolaya was a part of those as well I think...

Excuse the little dude......but is InFlux a magazine?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Mailing list

• count me in. I think Wired magazine did something like this recently.

Oh, here it is:

http://ccmixter.org/contests/magnatune/

the last one they did was a Chuck D remix.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

There was a 45" on Bully with Sixtoo & my buddy Similak where they performed this experiment. It was cool to see how the 2 flipped the beats they were given.

h

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    we did this a while back with:

and one time before that we did it with records by this dude:

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    for those of us who don't use Serato/final scratch etc--

why not open this up to a 2nd tier of battling?

the same 4 mp3s could be used as fodder for remixing - only audio content from the 4 mp3s allowed, no extraneous effects/proccessing besides standard compression/limiting - so its a cut n paste/remixing/make some ill shit battle, alongside the turntable-serato thing.

eh?

• we did this a while back with:

and one time before that we did it with records by this dude:

those threads were the best ideas the Soulstrut massive has ever offered.

Now that I dont have a MPC anymore..whats a good sequencer for a PC? I do use Cubase for recording,tracking,etc. any suggestions? FL perhaps?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    man, I guess there really are a lot of new people around....

this was sorta done already, twice on the board, albeit not to the extent of influx. First we had the leo sayer beatoff (ok you can ayo this), then day and sketch put out a 45 with both using the same sample.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    man, I guess there really are a lot of new people around....

this was sorta done already, twice on the board, albeit not to the extent of influx. First we had the leo sayer beatoff (ok you can ayo this), then day and sketch put out a 45 with both using the same sample.

that was how I first heard of this place.