usernames revealed!

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
after all these years, i still wonder about the origin of some people's usernames and where they came from. i know some of them are actual names, other dj names and whatnot, but others leave a few questions unanswered.

what is the inspiration, origin, reason or explanation behind your soulstrut username?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Laser Wolfe the Butcher, from Fiddler on the Roof

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    you start!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm named after this place. A crystal clear swimming pond just a few minutes walk through the woods to an awesome ocean beach w/ 100 foot plus dunes:

The ocean is right over the ridge on the other side of the pond.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DB_Cooper is my DJ name, taken from this dude. I chose it because in the climate of hip hop at the time, a lot of rappers had adopted the names of famous real and fictional criminals (Capone and Noreaga, Scarface, etc.), but they always seemed to pick ones that eventually got caught. I thought I'd rather take the name of one who got away with it.

My previous name, Great_Blue_Hills, came from the place I was working when I first posted on Soulstrut, WGBH in Boston. I was posting in response to a question about James Brown's famous 1968 concert in Boston following the King assassination, so I took the first thing that came to mind. The GBH in WGBH stand for Great Blue Hills, which is where their first broadcast transmitter was located.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    My name is my name!

• My name was inspired by a friend of mine when her and I were working with Americorps together. We were lesson planning together and we were talking about something and she said, "You know you're a jigsaw with missing pieces." And that stuck with me. I wanted to call myself Progress Hornsby Number 2 out of my fandom for Sid Caesar, but I thought I'd pay a tribute to my friend instead.

Herm said:
    My name is my name!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Herm said:
    My name is my name!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Means nothing, I decided to use it when I joined my first internet forum.
    I usually DJ under the name of Grandpa Jesus

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'm actually more of a coffee guy lately

Grandfather said:

Huh. I always just figured you had named yourself after some old dude.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Grandfather said:

your logic isn't welcome here bro.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    "musica_del_alma" was shortened to just "musica " automatically after the board re-design. Originally named after the best Latin Soul song evar!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    DB_Cooper is my DJ name, taken from this dude.

I used to be a huge Unsolved Mysteries fan and their segment on the D.B. Cooper story was one of the best. That and when ghosts were haunting some suburban split level and the garage appeared to be ablaze in blue flames -- that was pretty cool, too.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Grandfather said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Grandfather said:

your logic isn't welcome here bro.

Next thing you're going to be telling me your parents didn't name you after Jesus Jones. Don't lie to me bro. Own it. Love it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

spelled the indian way to confuse people.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    musica said:
    "musica_del_alma" was shortened to just "musica " automatically after the board re-design. Originally named after the best Latin Soul song evar!

So by my powers of deduction, you're also a big fan of "Tighten Up" and "Soulful Strut"?
    My username is an astute shortening of my long rapz name.

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    I used to play drums in a band that was just me and my buddy.
    He called me "Cromag" because I played drums like a caveman.
    When I started DJing and making beats I changed it to "Kid Cromag"
    and when I met my wife she said I should change it to "Kind Cromang"!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    The_Non said:
    musica said:

So by my powers of deduction, you're also a big fan of "Tighten Up" and "Soulful Strut"?
    My username is an astute shortening of my long rapz name.

Claro que si! And for the record, this is THE best Latin Soul song:

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    mine is actually pretty dumb. in my previous life as a jock, i would only wear number 6, superstition n' that. my first dj gig, i went by the roman numeral.... VI, which got little to no attention, so it got lengthened to 'vintageinfants' to show my love of juxtaposition (ha!).

in the sparse dj gigs since then, ive never used the same name twice, for no other reason that i liked coming up with dj names.

other monikers included phallic baldwin, girth brooks, flirt reynolds, keffah sutherland, dj tanner, etc. etc. etc....

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i was searching for something online and stumbled on soulstrut through a google or yahoo search. i created a username to ask a question, not thinking i would post again.

kvh was a former sixer who i couldn't stand. no real reason behind the name at all except to humor myself at the time.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    My real name is Lee.

Its a combo of Mr Lee by The Bobbettes and Dr Lee PHD by The Beasties.

C'est tout.

Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    My real name is Lee.

Its a combo of Mr Lee by The Bobbettes and Dr Lee PHD by The Beasties.

C'est tout.

Huh. Given his Bruce Lee fandom and academic experience, I always just assumed you were an ODub alias.

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Mr_Zimms = Erwin Zimmerman, co-founder of Demonfuzz Records (est.1998)

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    That is my name.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I had to change my name each time the board crashed.
    I think I was Jump Jump and Dan in previous incarnations.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    When I introduce myself, people occasionally ask, "Did you say Almond?" I guess it sounds like my first real name.

I also like almonds and almond- or amaretto-flavored things such as almond croissants, marzipan and the base of Cherry Garcia ice cream. Is it just me or does almond extract smell like cherries?

My mom is always bugging me to eat more almonds. She says they make your brain grow, but if you eat too many, you'll get a nut allergy.

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    Sven Libaek soundtrack

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    It's my last name, but also a reference to one of my heroes when I was growing up. Christian Hosoi.