REP A BEACH!

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
1. LOCAL
Ram Island Drive, Shelter Island, NY. You can put your bike on the LIRR, jump out at the last stop and walk across to the ferry, then cycle 15mins to get here. It's not an official beach so pretty empty. (skinny dip R)

2. FAR OFF
Play Manzanilla, Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico. here We seriously changed our travel plans to stay here longer because it was so relaxing. Not too crowded, lots of cheap beer and good food, but still has a pair of spotted rays that do a slow lap twice a day, making everyone jump out the water.

GO! I need some blue skies, at least on screen.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Gilgo

b/w

Katy Couric

• SportCasual said:

2. FAR OFF
    Play Manzanilla, Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico. here We seriously changed our travel plans to stay here longer because it was so relaxing. Not too crowded, lots of cheap beer and good food, but still has a pair of spotted rays that do a slow lap twice a day, making everyone jump out the water.

i got deathly ill on this beach eating fish tacos from some lady...the bus ride to Mazunte was horrid...cool beach though, i remember the sand having some luminescent qualities that made your footprints glow....

no pics, but Tulum by El Castillo was quite memorable

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    don_gigante said:
    fish tacos

BOLD.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    Gilgo

b/w

Katy Couric

I went to an open house down in Oak Beach last fall, two weeks before all this shit started. When they posted the aerial photo in Newsday with the "person of interest" house circled, there was one house separating his and the one we looked at.

Went to another one in West Gilgo this past sunday, and was parked on the side of Ocean Pkwy on the phone for a few minutes before I pulled into the community. Every car that drove by, people were practically jumping out of their seats trying to get a better look at me as though they suddenly caught the guy dumping all the bodies.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Local:

My favorite East Coast beach is Sandbridge Beach, VA.

It's basically, the Outer Banks without all the pretentious douche bags, more accessible, and lower rent. Very low key... not crowded... driving distance to great record digging and Virginia Beach fun.

• Options
    i remember the sand having some luminescent qualities that made your footprints glow....

It's luminous algae, it can be found anywhere. We were bugging out late one night on a private beach in Cutchogue on Long Island, located in the same bay as the Shelter Island beach SportC posted, the sand was loaded with it and when you waved your hand in the water the light trail followed your hand.

• J i m s t e r said:
    don_gigante said:
    fish tacos

BOLD.

i know, it seemed like such a good idea at the time...kickin it under the palapa, sippin tecates...never make that mistake again.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Playa Jobos, Puerto Rico

I'll be in PR a week from today, can't wait, its been a long winter.

• 4 days from now i will be back here. CAN NOT WAIT.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Local-ish:

Port Aransas, TX

Scene of former Spring Break insanity for me back in the late 80's. More a fishing spot than a surfing spot, Port Aransas is kinda quaint as it's separated from Corpus Christi as a part of Mustang Island. The Gulf of Mexico waters are often brown, teeming with seaweeds and jellyfish and sometimes tar...but on good days, the 4 hour drive from Austin is a snap.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Great Rock Beach on Martha's Vineyard. You have to park and walk about a mile to get to the beach. Your walk is through this great patch of woods with old dogwoods bending everywhere, it seriously looks like something out of the lord of the rings. Then when you come out of the woods you are at the top of a cliff looking out at the ocean. You walk down a massive flight of stairs and are on one of the quietest beaches on the island. Great swimming and there is a giant rock in the middle of the sound you can climb and dive from. I spent about 5 summers on the island and I really miss being close to the ocean, there is nothing better than jumping in the ocean after a long shitty day of work.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Hey 'Struttueurs,

Eagle beach in Aruba is by far the best beach I've chilled at. I was there this past November. Smooth white sand for days, and blood warm water. Locals are real nice folk, too.

Kindly,
    parallax

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    4 days from now i will be back here. CAN NOT WAIT.

haha! the homies jamaan and alex! ed showed me this video before and told me about this trip ya'll took... looks dope to me...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    For many years my family vacationed at the Loopden Estate in Destin.....also known as The Redneck Riviera.

• djkingotto said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    4 days from now i will be back here. CAN NOT WAIT.

haha! the homies jamaan and alex! ed showed me this video before and told me about this trip ya'll took... looks dope to me...

werrrd. Had plans to be first person to ever do rapp hands while driving an outboard motor. dream fulfilled.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    REP A BEACH!

How you not gonna post up las playas de Parque Tairona, Colombia??? I will then:

Gili Meno, Lombok, Indonesia:

LOCAL:

The small coves on the western side of Tomales Bay (Point Reyes National Seashore). You can only access them by sea kayak:

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Where I learned to surf!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    musica said:

How you not gonna post up las playas de Parque Tairona, Colombia??? I will then:

Ha, yes, some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Deserted, white sand... but stumbling out of the jungle with a backpack and jumping into bathwater is not refreshing at all! I know you roll with a helicopter so maybe it's different ;) For me Tairona was about this shit (I would have gone crazy without it. Bonus: you can drink it):

Garcia_Vega said:
    its been a long winter.

• dropping in at chopes

my private lagoon in the cook islands

ghettin cozy with a baracuda @ 50ft in Egypt

b-boy stance @ 70ft in Hawaii

gettin punked by a shark in morea, outer reef

my local break. dirtball right at Cabrillo

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    musica said:

Ha, yes, some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Deserted, white sand... but stumbling out of the jungle with a backpack and jumping into bathwater is not refreshing at all! I know you roll with a helicopter so maybe it's different ;) For me Tairona was about this shit (I would have gone crazy without it. Bonus: you can drink it):

Garcia_Vega said:
    its been a long winter.

Straight the fuck up it's been too long, dudes. I need some 100+ degree temps back in my life! Can't wait to get back here next month:

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    Great Rock Beach on Martha's Vineyard.

Love Cape Cod and Vineyard beaches, but my girl (SoCal born) thinks it is all BOR-RING. I dunno, perhaps it's all the deck shoes and sweaters tied around the shoulders. I would go back.

Who has been to Bermuda? It must be pretty nice if Bloomberg is there every weekend.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    In no particular order:

1. Tunnels beach, Kauai and Kalihiwai beach Kauai, Hawaii

2. Madequecham/Nobadeer beach Nantucket Mass

3. Great Bay, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica, Alligator head, Port Antonio, Jamaica

4. Tankah Bay, Tulum, Mexico

5. the freezing unswimmable but mindblowingly beautiful Manzanita, Oregon, a lot like Big Sur, CA which is also amazing but more pines and colder, more wizards

6. Plankaht, Cyclades islands, Sifnos, Greece

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I have a few I'd rep.

The Baths, Virgin Gorda:

(These aren't my photos)

Trunk Bay on St John:

Pretty much any beach on Kauai:

And several in the Wellfleet/Truro area, I'll try and post some photos when I have my camera.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    Greece
    [understatement]has some quite nice beaches[/understatement]

Also: paging JoeMojo, how is the coconut and papaya harvest looking this year? :coolmad:

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Going for Maunalua Bay because it's my current home:

For Kaua`i I think either Polihale:

Or Miloli`i:

Had a memorable evening at Hale O Lono on Moloka`i a few months ago:

Non-Hawai`i, maybe Porto de Galinhas in Pernambuco?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Who has been to Bermuda? It must be pretty nice if Bloomberg is there every weekend.

I went when I was, I think, 9. So, hardly an enlightened view of the place--I was stoked just to get to be on an airplane!--but it was freakin' nice.

Also, I cosine Great Rock Beach as well as pretty much any beach on Kauai.

Dubrovnik (Croatia) was mind-bogglingly great--I was seriously on some, "Wow, I can't believe I'm actually doing this right now...so amazing!" while I was swimming there. I would love to get back there someday.

The beach on Ocracoke is nice if you go during the off season.

Bethany Beach in Delaware was a summer tradition for my family back in the day...haven't been in forever, and I hear it's changed quite a bit since then, but man, did I love that place. I was on the beach every day, in the water at least twice a day, and in between, I'd go with my uncle to some of the tidal flats and trotline for blue crab. Can't beat that.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    SportCasual said:

Also: paging JoeMojo, how is the coconut and papaya harvest looking this year? :coolmad:

You know, it's funny, I'm in grad school in Honolulu now and living pretty much the opposite of the beach lifestyle. But this is the first time I've actually had a personal coconut palm. We have Tahitian coconuts in the yard and cut some down every now and again. I gotta build new boat racks because my canoe is currently within rebound distance.

No papaya though! I should probably start some trees on the side of the house and save a few bucks at the market.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Some of the best beaches I've ever been on were in Thailand.

A hidden chill spot I've always hit up when in Cayman is Smiths cove.

Also, personal fav was in Brazil. You can have miles of beaches all to yourself...

top of my list for spots to hit up before I die.

Bora Bora

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    DOR said:

came to post Bora Bora. i NEED to be there

• on the backside of Bora Bora there is a break in the reef where the juxtaposed temperatures of water make for a crazy current pulling through the reef. You can start on the outer side of the reef and lay down to snorkel and let the current literally pull you through the break in the reef while you float and look down at the reef in about 3-5 feet of water. Most amazing ride of my life, seriously.