golf strut

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
considering it's basically never mentioned on this board, im a little gunshy posting this.... ['you sound white'-related]

does anyone up in this bitch ever bomb the links?

what are the best courses in your region? where are you a member? what clubs do you use? do you spend time thinking of ways to make golf "fashion" less lame? what's yo handicap?

am i one step away from bribing kids with werther's originals to listen to my 'good ol days' stories or doest thou ride?

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    There have been golf threads here in the past. I'm not a member anyplace at the moment. I started playing when I was 10 & played at least once a fortnight at the least until I left High School. I used to enter contests around the area & it was pretty fun for the most part. When I quit my handicap was floating around 15 or 16. Best round I ever shot was 80. I just picked up clubs again a year or 2 back after not playing for 10+ years. I play probably 5 times a year now, best round recently is 90. I like golf, but I don't like being not as good as I used to be :-S

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I play - just not well. I'm decent off the tee, but my short game is atrocious, unfortunately. Been "playing" since I was 12 or so, but living in the city, I never make it out to the driving range, so things go stale quick, and I never really kept at it. Did play on the golf team in High School, though.

I'm not a member anywhere, but growing up my dad belonged to a spot out in Calabassas which was a pretty nice course. I did play Pebble and Spyglass when I was 13 or 14 (friends birthday present was a round at each, he took me along), which kind of ruled. Can't say much tops that.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I'll golf when i can no longer play real sports

cove said:

You sound like you wear No Fear shirts.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    cove said:

And you'll suck so bad that you'll soon quit.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I think i hit a nerve. Or did i slice it?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    I play - just not well.

This.

I used to play a lot as a teenager, borrowed uncle's "Garage" set, sneaking onto the local course about 4AM in the Summer with my mates and getting 9 holes in before it opened. Iron Maiden on the walkman.

Never stuck at it, but it seems everyone on the close where I live now plays regularly, so we have an annual tournament and street party afterwards. I won last year because they gave me a generous handicap. Never been around less than 100, though, so rest easy.

I can spank one off the tee, though :pasue:

• i just picked it up in the last two years. after a hip flexor injury put me on the shelf for 'real sports', I sat around for a year or so do basically nothing sports related like a mopey bitch. after being invited two a best ball scramble with some friends, my dormant sports gene was quickly reactivated. the weirdest thing about the sport is that all it takes is literally ONE shot, a single swing of the club, where the ball flies and sticks exactly where do wanted to, and you're hooked for life. second round of my career, i jarred a 110yd pitching wedge (no bounce) and from that point on no amount of clubs thrown into water hazards or 20 lost ball rounds can get me to hang it up for good.

two weeks ago i copped the new Nike slingshot irons and I've fallen in love with the game all over again. this past weekend I shot the best round of my life at 81, so if you ask me next weekend when I shoot a 99 I may be whistling another tune.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    My very first job at age 12 (i was tall so I could start a year ealy) was caddy at Winged Foot. Each day started with riding my bicycle at crack of dawn to the uplands of Mamaroneck, the final assault being the quarter mile 45 degree angled incline of the clubs entrance. When I got there I was rewarded with a whopping 20 for a full loop, 18 holes. And I will always remember the back nine of hte east course, relentlessly long, flat and zero shade. As a result I have always hated the game and probably always will.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    ^ I used to be a caddy (Hamilton G&CC;) and a caterer (Heron Point) at golf courses...and let's just say that I appreciated the company of people who work at courses a lot more than some of the people who play there (Caddyshack-r).

Actually, I used to golf regularly for a few years as a teen but I was never really good and some of my friends were AMAZING (one of them was close to a scratch golfer)...so it was kind of a buzzkill.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na.....

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    My Grandad lived in St Andrews, was unsurprisingly a keen golfer, and was a member of one of the more reasonably priced courses that ran alongside the Old Course. He used to take us there to play as kids and we'd wait till no one was around then hit out balls over to the Old Course and play down the fairway before whacking them back across when we saw the tell tale bright colours of members/rich visitors.

Beyond that I mainly stuck to trying to hit balls as far as I could and the pitch and putt greens. Recently went along to one of the virtual golf course things as part of a works event and was pleased to discover that my ability to sky a ball with no coordination or direction remained intact. A mean putter though.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    whenever possible (as in this thread) I have to talk about the hole-in-one I got about 6 years ago. Charity golf tournament in Tyler Texas of all places and during a practice round I weaseled my way into getting a rather ugly golf shot to find its way into the cup. my boss was so annoyed, only because he had been playing religiously for like 10-15 years more than me and still was looking for his first hole-in-one. Funny thing is, had i done it in the actual tournament (as opposed to the practice round) i would have got a new golf set and a trip to Vegas out of the deal.

I played a lot back when i was living in TX and pretty much was at the driving range a few nights each week. But when i moved up to NYC i decided against bringing up my clubs, and for the most part i have only hit balls at the driving range like 3 times in the past 5 years. I do look forward to playing again whenever i finally move away from the city.

• Options
    ketan said:
    Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na.....

It's damn near impossible to play a round without someone at some point dropping a line from Caddyshack.

When I was young my grandparents lived on one of the fairways (actually a house alongside the fairway, you get the idea) at Bay Hill in Orlando. Gramps had four golf carts in his garage and a few thousand balls in egg cartons from all of the wayward shots that would hit the house. He'd give them out to anyone who stopped by. Friends of his would be playing, have a shot hit the house, stop by later on and wind up leaving with a fresh dozen. I remember him driving us around the course to show us where all the alligators were, and letting us play in the sandtraps after the last foursome of the day went by.

I played a lot 15 years ago, maybe 3-4 times a week. Just picked it back up again in the last year. I suck though, 90-95 usually. 95-105 if they sell beer on the course. If I get it straight I'm out 300 off the tee, then it all falls apart from there as I have the touch of a bricklayer.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There was an old defunkt golf course that ran through my childhood neighborhood in New Orleans. It became the place where we all rode our dirt bikes. And that about sums up my feelings towards golf.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I've only knocked it around a few times, but I drop this into day-to-day conversation on the reg.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

sabadabada said:
    So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I am the complete opposite. Decent short-game, good with an iron and gentle with the putter (pause). But off the tee, I seem to slice everything. I get it nice and straight on the range. Once it's actually a round of golf, I tense up. However, it's always a great time just being out on the course. Last year and last time I played -- Jackson Park in Chicago, one of the older courses in the U.S., public and justifiably so a little roughed up. But breeze off the lake and just beautiful.

• DELETE

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I play once a year now that I have kids. Me and 11 other guys play a 3 day Ryder Cup at Bandon Dunes in Southern Oregon which is probably the greatest 4 courses located in anyone place in the world (including Pebble/Cypress, Pinehurst or Saint Andrews). The place is retarded. Just a total golf paradise in the middle of nowhere, would easily be hosting the Open or PGA if they had enough hotel rooms in the county. I shoot in the 90s from the middle tees.

• TIGER WATCH 2011! TIGER WATCH 2011! TIGER WATCH 2011! TIGER WATCH 2011!

it's sunday and dude is in his customary reds making shots other humans wouldnt even lie about making. big tings agwan.

• just just made eagle after the most ridickeless iron shot ever. drilled the 6 footer and broke out the olden days tiger fist pump.

fuck i love sports.

• Posting from a truck at The Masters.

That par save on 9 was as impressive as the Eagle.

I don't play golf...

• gareth said:
    Posting from a truck at The Masters.

I don't play golf...
    :face_melt:

i dont believe you. honk the van's horn to the rhythm from usher's "yeah" or you're soft.

• This is the only tournament all year I work... I'll tell you, though- getting golf on TV is the hardest live sport I've ever seen produced. Holy shit, that truck is like the space program.

• Spent a fabulous day at the Augusta National today. You dis golf you dis yourself...

• YOU LEFT ALREADY???? THIS SHIT IS FUCKING CRAZY....

• gareth said:
    YOU LEFT ALREADY???? THIS SHIT IS FUCKING CRAZY....

id like to personally thank you for putting jason day's wife on screen.