put the music where your mouth is... first BEAT THREAD of 2011

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
alot of talk, lots of new posters, been a while since we had one of these threads, lets hear what people has been up to lately on the beats tip...
my contribution is from round new years feeling mellow, finished this up last week with a little youtube vid to match, haha, hope it dosent get the same greetings as the dk beat cassette one i posted couple days ago anyway.. peace.

Comments

• Pretty cool beat, I like the outro. The drums could be spiced up a little. Maybe more lofi or something, cant quite put my finger on it. Just too 'regular' if you will. The rest of the joint i like alot.

Ive been doing production music full-time for about half a year now, so I end up making 3-4 full tracks a week - I put up a compilation of em as a portfolio, so to speak, on

http://thehandsofstone.bandcamp.com/

NOTE: Some of them (Long Bay Soundclash for example) are total terds, but stuff like this sells quite well.
    enjoy the ones that dont suck.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Inner Vizions by thedlch
    Lose My Mind by thedlch
    Guurl by Decades
    a bit hesitant to share any thing as nothing is any where near finished, the first track is still waiting for my friend to come and replay the bass line, the seond is waiting for a wurlitzer lie to be played on it and the third is an old beat i actually just found and have started working on again

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    Pretty cool beat, I like the outro. The drums could be spiced up a little. Maybe more lofi or something, cant quite put my finger on it. Just too 'regular' if you will. The rest of the joint i like alot.

Ive been doing production music full-time for about half a year now, so I end up making 3-4 full tracks a week - I put up a compilation of em as a portfolio, so to speak, on

http://thehandsofstone.bandcamp.com/

NOTE: Some of them (Long Bay Soundclash for example) are total terds, but stuff like this sells quite well.
    enjoy the ones that dont suck.

yaeh, thanks a lot for the feedback, really appreciate it, its funny my homeboy said excactly the same, my reply is, on this one, i wanted those drums to sound really simple oldschool loopy, so that focus would be on the mood of the groove, then come back at the break where the beat loosens up, and then change the whole thing for the outro.
    Stonehands, i was checking out your tracks just now, really dig your beats, afterrain and djamland were the faves, although im listening via laptop speakers at the moment, so might have missed out on something..

• I did this one on NYE/

100-skreet-cpd-beat81bpm by CRACKPIPE

• Not exactly a beat, but I thought I might contribute:

John

• blockoblocko 43 Posts
    some tracks from the end of 2010. some almost finished , some rough sketches.

some nice stuff so far, but i need to listen to them on headphones again to give a proper feedback.

Freedoom by Block Barley

hai nya by Block Barley

Impressions by Block Barley

iron gate by Block Barley

Mercy chills by Block Barley

Stars by Block Barley

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    upskibo- stone hands is right, the drums neat spicing up... i feel like a krautrock feel would help this song... maybe even replace the hihat w/ floor tom or something, give it more of a tribal thing...

stonehands- everything is very polished, don't know if i hear alot of inspiration happening, but fuck it, things sound slick and radio ready, so get that incidental music cake... this what greg ginn calls "effective music", it does exactly what it's supposed to do... what do you use for monitors?

the DL- last song is actiually quite good... the vocal sample has a great quality and the drums on top of it work... finish that shit!

behemoth- cute vocal sample... besides the slickness of the schooly d cadence, don't know if the world needs a pager reference in 2011... the track itself needs EQing and mixing... at least on mac speakers the samples don't blend together well... i have terrible moniters so the same thing happens to me...

street muzik- i like the dreaminess of it... tho on my speakers nothing ever really seems to happen, maybe i'm missing a drop or something... nice spacy feeling, but i feel like if this was more off kilter and less on beat i'd like it more... like some off beat snare hits or something...

john doe- that shit was funny as fuck.. the triple screen of you running made me LOL... cuts sounded nice....

bobtheorange- nice sample, but FIX THOSE DRUMS... waaaaaay tooo straightforward...

blocko- my man you posted like 17 beats.... first one, take Lil Jon the fuck out there, its 2011 bor, shit is played out... the meldoy is suitabky sinister, you just to punch up yr soundbanks... you are prolly right, you need to remix some stuff... fourth beat and last beat are nice on some 80's ambient steez...

here is my beat blog, i've been trying to put up one a week just as an exercise...

http://pgunnmakesbeats.tumblr.com/

• Here are a few recent things...just snippets.

Snip by PLAN

• i??m not a poster boy..... still enjoy reading your funny thoughts and trading records with some of you....

not abel to figure out how to embed

http://www.divshare.com/download/13850801-18b

tried many things on the cymbals, couldn??t get it more lively....

cc

• p_gunn said:

bobtheorange- nice sample, but FIX THOSE DRUMS... waaaaaay tooo straightforward...
    /

I disagree with that. The drums fit the sample just right. I'd give them more presence in the mix perhaps, but in a rap beat "straightforward" drums are rarely a bad thing IMO.

Upskiboo, I like the drums. Maybe I'd add some percussion, but overall it's a very nice beat.

• p_gunn said:

street muzik- i like the dreaminess of it... tho on my speakers nothing ever really seems to happen, maybe i'm missing a drop or something... nice spacy feeling, but i feel like if this was more off kilter and less on beat i'd like it more... like some off beat snare hits or something...

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I agree it's very minimal. I'm waiting to see what the emcees do. then I may or may not add something. Great feedback, though.

will be checking other beats in this thread later today.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    bust one to this
    Bust one to this by chillhood

the remix
    deuce by chillhood

• p_gunn said:

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I usually don't do my drums like that but like hertzhog said I think they fit the sample pretty well. @hertzhog You're right about the presence of the drums, it seems like lately I've been mixing my drums a bit low in the mix.

heres two others ones I've been workin' on:

• john_doe said:
    Not exactly a beat, but I thought I might contribute:

John

good stuff, was feelin the NWA homage...except for the stop at McDonalds, good work.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    upskiboo
    feelin that beat, have you tried eqing thed rums a little sharper, not the obvious choice but it might work for that fusion kind of feel

StoneHands
    the first and second beat were cool (didnt have the patience to listen to all 21 sorry)

john doe cool vid!

CherChezLaPLAN
    i like that second bet in the snippet

bobtheorange
    that 2nd beat (on your second post) is really nice!

blocko i only listened to the last beat, nice and atmospheric!

Schroeder you gonna make me poast your snippet up?

• p_gunn said:

john doe- that shit was funny as fuck.. the triple screen of you running made me LOL... cuts sounded nice....

don_gigante said:

good stuff, was feelin the NWA homage...except for the stop at McDonalds, good work.

the_dL said:
    john doe cool vid!

Thanks! (don gigante - would have stopped for sushi or a banh mi, but didn't have time)

John

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    TableSaw said:

:feelin_it:

• Upskiboo. I like it/ Has a mood to it. I'd like a little more funky beat patterns or something to keep me engaged though. Is it done? What's it for?

Stonehands. Not bad, pretty mellow. Are you getting rappers?

behemoth- I like that. it knocks but the guitar seems a little loud. the mix needs a little work to make it glue togather.

John Doe - Sick!

bobtheorange - I love it

blocko and the DL. Did you guys have to post so many? jeez i can't check all that, sorry.

CherChezLaPLAN - wow, awesome. I really dig this

tablesaw. Interesting and distorted. I could see it used for a soundtrack or something. a little too repetitious

damms, good sounds, mix, also a little repetitive for my taste (even though my beat was repetitive lol)

Ultimately it's hard to judge because are these finnished? Will there be a rapper, etc. Often times the best rap songs have the least exiting beats but the rapper brings it to life.

anyway, keep at it.

great to see and hear the board alive and kickin with creativity!!!!!!!!!!!
    many thanks for the feedback too, really cool, im gonna go through these beats and try to come up with some constructive feedback in return!
    whats that song, from here to infinity, that sorta vibe. regarding the drums haha.. absolutely no fancy shit, at least not until the break comes in, just some straight ahead, wet carboard box mid 90s sounding boom bap beat, to hold the bassline and groove together, guess thats the best way i can explain what i tried to do, haha.. so yeah, its supposed to sound like that, maybe i could throw in an extra 8 bars at the drumbreak and rip the beat even more appart, maybe.. anyway, again thanks for the words on this, really means a lot.
    nothing planned, although id love a dope song vocal on it..

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    p_gunn said:

behemoth- cute vocal sample... besides the slickness of the schooly d cadence, don't know if the world needs a pager reference in 2011... the track itself needs EQing and mixing... at least on mac speakers the samples don't blend together well... i have terrible moniters so the same thing happens to me...

/

it was made for this mid 30s dude who used to be big in the drug game so the reference goes perfectly. no lyrics yet. and it wasn't mixed at all. came straight off the MPC. and you're right on Mac speakers you can't even hear the bass.

i didn't need an opinion on it, but i guess you are welcome to one hehe

yo, like i said, heres some hitting dudes back with feedback, had to get off the laptop speakers though.
    ok, streetmuzik, dope beat, cool synth chops groove, def has potential, but id say the track screams for a killer bassline to take it to that next level..
    theDL, i like your tracks, the first one very soulful, deep, maybe a bit too much on the overlaying instrumentation for my taste, but dope.. the 2nd track, again really mellow, reminds me a bit of some sorta wise guys vibe or something along those lines or timeframe, maybe a little bit too over produced for my taste, but really cool man!
    p-gunn, your blog looks amazing, out there beats, synthy space cadet style joints, i quite like a few of these, a couple i wasnt able to really get into, but there were some which were pretty fucking wild, nice!!!!
    keep up the good work homies!

another recent one:

• upskiboo said:
    another recent one:

That shit is great. Love the part with the kids singing.

• bobtheorange - I love it
    Thanks, glad you liked it.

still checking out all yall stuff. I'm diggin' most of what I heard so far, especially what undocument and CherChezLaPLAN posted, will give some feedback a little later. In the meanwhile, I've finally made a soundcloud page if you wanna follow me: http://soundcloud.com/bobtheorange
    Same stuff as before plus one other track.

• Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    TableSaw said:

:feelin_it:

Thanks a milli....

• #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG200.png')">

- "Beat 44" Instrumental for Saigon Remix on the upcomin Bootleg

#999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG200.png')">

- "Dizzy Beat" Instrumental for not decided yet

#999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG200.png')">

- "Lockdown" Instrumental for NAS Remix on the upcomin Bootleg

- "Sound Swag" Instrumental for Grouch Remix on the upcomin Bootleg (*edit* new version added)

----
    "What is the Buddah?"
    "Masagin!"