put the music where your mouth is... first BEAT THREAD of 2011

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    catalist said:

I like these. Would enjoy it if the second one had a section of just keys and the kick near the last quarter of the track.
    Liking the vocals on the first, and from a purely selfish position, as I need more future beat stuff w/ vocals so as not to alienate squares un-accustomed to music without singing, would enjoy this with more lyrics worked in if poss.
    But would purchase a 7" with these two I think.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    catalist said:

I like these. Would enjoy it if the second one had a section of just keys and the kick near the last quarter of the track.
    Liking the vocals on the first, and from a purely selfish position, as I need more future beat stuff w/ vocals so as not to alienate squares un-accustomed to music without singing, would enjoy this with more lyrics worked in if poss.
    But would purchase a 7" with these two I think.

Hey I really appreciate that feedback. These are both unfinished and I will be extending both tracks. I fully agree with you on having a stripped down section in 'Melt' , putting these on a 45 could be nice.. once I finish them I am going to shop em around and see what's what. peace.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

Whoa - the slowness is almost disorientating. Cool vibe to it though, and if it was my track I'd be tempted to do another mix at around 120 with some punk-funk disco drums or something.

Love the bit around the 3mins.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Humor me.......I don't know shit about beats or how to make them.....every once in a while I'll play something and the old man that I am wonders "Could that be one of those Hippity Hop beats?" but I'm clueless.

So yesterday I picked up this hideously awful Xian folk LP.....unlistenable to my ears and I'm pretty sure to everyone elses too.

But there was 10 seconds where I thought....Hmmm....maybe this is one of those "beats".

So here's the deal.....educate me....if this is absolute unuseable crap feel free to go Kala on me and insult me like the Hippity Hop moron that I am....and I'll toss the LP in the trash ASAP.

If it's actually something someone would want I will send the LP......for free....to the first person who thinks they can use it.

In exchange I would just like to hear what the final "beat" sounds like.

That's the cost of education.

http://www.divshare.com/download/14015648-dd3

• you should just post up the WAV file of that 10 seconds and have a beat contest with it..

walter_chron said:
    you should just post up the WAV file of that 10 seconds and have a beat contest with it..

It's up there....... here it is again....

• umm.... isn't that an MP3?

walter_chron said:
    umm.... isn't that an MP3?

LOL....you got me?? All I know is vinyl and my Ion turntable.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Humor me.......I don't know shit about beats or how to make them.....
    making beats is no laughing matter *serious face*
    lol but seriously
    anything can be sampled.
    but if you want to know the science behind beat making, you can study the sampling work from the best producers Hip Hop had in the 90s:
    an entry list would consists of the likes of Pete Rock, DJ Premier, Q-Tip (A Tribe Called Quest), Showbiz & Diamond D (DITC), Prince Paul (De La Soul), RZA (Wu-Tang Clan), Erick Sermon and Large Professor

from their influence emerged the 2 best samplers Hip Hop has known to date: the late J Dilla & Madlib (IMHO that is)

the cost of education is nothing but free time

• Rock, I will make beats out of any albums you send me! :D

Seriously, though, the sample is great (not sound wise but content wise).

p.s. I would love to hear a "hippty-hop" beat that Rock made. That would be awesome. No joke.

undocument said:
    Rock, I will make beats out of any albums you send me! :D

Seriously, though, the sample is great (not sound wise but content wise).

p.s. I would love to hear a "hippty-hop" beat that Rock made. That would be awesome. No joke.

I admire the folks who do this and have no delusions of ever being able to do it myself....it's a musical talent I just don't possess.

I just wanted to know if my ears were anywhere close to in tune to what a "good sample" is or not.

Send me your address via PM and the LP is yours.

• undocument said:

I just wanted to know if my ears were anywhere close to in tune to what a "good sample" is or not.

That's definitely a "good sample" in my book, too. However, reaching a consensus of what constitutes good is not a simple matter in any era, much less this one...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    walter_chron said:
    you should just post up the WAV file of that 10 seconds and have a beat contest with it..

It's up there....... here it is again....

can you post a little more of the sample, i would love to have a go at this one

• I made these house flavored blends / mash-ups a while back during my DJing days. I need to get back into the blend/edit game again, it was fun doing these.

KAUSHIK M. BLENDS by Kaushik M.

• here's a few incomplete things im workin on for some folks, stress on incomplete btw

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    here's a few incomplete things im workin on for some folks, stress on incomplete btw

your drums are dope, but I'm not feeling the way you flip your samples. that style (overtly sped up or Stoupe-like) is too 5 years ago sounding and got tired real quick imo. are your folks the snowgoons ?

• damms said:
    smoking_robot said:
    here's a few incomplete things im workin on for some folks, stress on incomplete btw

your drums are dope, but I'm not feeling the way you flip your samples. that style (overtly sped up or Stoupe-like) is too 5 years ago sounding and got tired real quick imo. are your folks the snowgoons ?

haha, thanks for the feed back. those 2 samples that were sped up presented (at least immediately to me) a bit of difficulty regarding bpm if i didnt set 'em that fast but i really liked how they sounded originalyl and wanted to use 'em. i'll probably leaves these at tempo but try and go back and mess w/ them and see if i cant make something where they're not sped up so much.

• Matt Adore said:

!!!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Nico's Law by Decades

made this one last week

Toasted Hammond Sandwich by Decades

and still working on this one

• Rockadelic said:
    Humor me.......I don't know shit about beats or how to make them.....every once in a while I'll play something and the old man that I am wonders "Could that be one of those Hippity Hop beats?" but I'm clueless.

So yesterday I picked up this hideously awful Xian folk LP.....unlistenable to my ears and I'm pretty sure to everyone elses too.

But there was 10 seconds where I thought....Hmmm....maybe this is one of those "beats".

So here's the deal.....educate me....if this is absolute unuseable crap feel free to go Kala on me and insult me like the Hippity Hop moron that I am....and I'll toss the LP in the trash ASAP.

If it's actually something someone would want I will send the LP......for free....to the first person who thinks they can use it.

In exchange I would just like to hear what the final "beat" sounds like.

That's the cost of education.

Okay, Rock...here you go...

Rockadelic by undocument

• sup, everyone. i'm brand new to this community, but not too new to beatmaking although i'm still learning & trying new things..
    by the way, i really dig the idea of a space for djs, producers, & collectors to share music. ill site!

for starters, to the cat above me, slotbeggazz: beats are really clean. nice drum patterns & arrangements. that first joint reminds me of some old boom bap shit revamped. dope!

& heres a beat i'd like to share.
    paper skies by dil withers.
    if you like what you hearfeel free to follow me on soundcloud if anyone has one, as i'm looking to release my 2nd project soon.
    also, heres a link to my first beat tape: www.fleecebeats.bandcamp.com

PEACE YA'LL.!

-dee

• JamalJamal 410 Posts

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    dil withers said:
    heres a link to my first beat tape: www.fleecebeats.bandcamp.com

PEACE YA'LL.!

-dee
    I'll give it a listen. is your login name a nod to the Madlib album ?