Flying w/records (need some advice)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited April 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
I posted this over in the DJ bag thread, but that fizzled out, so here I am.My situation is this: I have some out-of-state gigs coming up this summer and I'm not sure how to pack records for travel. I have padded case like this (but with telescoping handle, wheels, and not in canary yellow):Anyone here every flown with one? It seems like it would hold up, but I'm not sure. I also have one of these behemoths, but I really don't wanna have to lug it thing around if I can avoid it:Thanks,Ross Hogg (Soon) In The Fogg(y Skies)

Comments

• Two scenarios that worked for me:

* Carry on two smaller "sling" type record bags

* Check in the flightcase but pack a (foldable) cart to transport it

• * Carry on two smaller "sling" type record bags

Not gonna cut it! I wanna bring a grip of records.

Check in the flightcase but pack a (foldable) cart to transport it

That's definitely a possibility. Dank u wel, W****m!

More ideas, plaese. Thnak you.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The few times I've flown, I've basically broken it down like this:

Raers in here. This one works as a carry-on and therefore stays with you at all times.

Non-raers in here--this is the case you check in if you need to bring along more records than the bag above and the 45 case below can fit.

45s in here (this is actually a CD case, but it'll fit a couple rows of 45s perfectly). This also works as a carry-on.

I used the big square behemoth one time...it sucked pretty bad having to carry that thing around. If you end up taking such a case, Smart Carts aren't just your friend, they're a necessity.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    plaese not to check in records...
    carry on at all costs, to many horror stories, & to be honest w/ the new flight regs, metal record boxes been known to miss the plane... not to mention the amount of people tht know when you see a record box there is records, shit gets jacked & not worth the risk... ill try to find the picture of my boys flight case & his records till stuck in the luggage shit, destroyed...

or if you know the cats your staying w/ ship your shit in a flight case boxed up...

peace

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

My situation is this: I have some out-of-state gigs coming up this summer and I'm not sure how to pack records for travel.

Rill World "Moves" i'm sorry that i have nothing constructive to add other than saying this,carry on

• You can add Busy Signal "Born And Grow" on 45 to this thread (via Jamaican Postal Service, plaese!).

You can add Busy Signal "Born And Grow" on 45 to this thread (via Jamaican Postal Service, plaese!).

What's the name of the rhythm? and who produced it? i'm so out of it.

• have you tried wraping them in cellophane and swallowing them then shitting them out after you land?

• A riddim mi nuh know, but it's on Stainless. I guess he's the next man to buss, but I don't know anything about him. That's the tune, though!

But yeah, flying with rackords. Thanks, everyone.

have you tried wraping them in cellophane and swallowing them then shitting them out after you land?

For sure "Real headz" know da deal

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I posted this over in the DJ bag thread, but that fizzled out, so here I am.

My situation is this: I have some out-of-state gigs coming up this summer and I'm not sure how to pack records for travel.

I have padded case like this (but with telescoping handle, wheels, and not in canary yellow):

Anyone here every flown with one? It seems like it would hold up, but I'm not sure.

I also have one of these behemoths, but I really don't wanna have to lug it thing around if I can avoid it:

Thanks,
    Ross Hogg (Soon) In The Fogg(y Skies)

Media Mail

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    speaking of riddims, whats good right now?

• speaking of riddims, whats good right now?

GABE AT FUNKY RIDDIMS ( RIP )

• Options
    speaking of riddims, whats good right now?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    just ship them to me... no worries.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you can fly? damn.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    if its a hard case and the records are destroyed whn you get them then its on the airlines. If its a soft case and they are destroyed its on you. At least that's what I got from jetblue when I flew them last.

Also be careful about the weight too, anything too heavy or if you have too many checked bags they charge you at least $35 per bag for the extras...

And that temple Effectives bag is what's up...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    My folding cart saved my ass in europe. The cobblestone streets are a bitch. They make flight cases with the carts built in, but I'm not sure how much you can stack on them. be prepared for that shit to get beat the fuck up. I had to take all my equipment to europe. everything in flight cases. When i got back, shit looked like i had been at war.

• Flying international!

Has anyone moved over seas with records? I have no idea how I'm gonna get all my records back to America from Japan. I have a big ass rolling flight case, bigger than the ones shown above, trouble is, if filled, its way overweight for the check in luggage, and it's way to big to be carry on.

Even if I could bring that, thats just a fraction of the records I'll be bringing home in a year.

Any advice? Private shipping company?

What to do!

Thanks in advance,
    F.M.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Damn Ross, looks like I was on the same page as these folls. There's gotta be a better way than checking a heavy ass box.

ALL MY INTERNATIONAL TRANS CONTINENTAL STATE TO STATE AND CITY TO CITY DOUDS STAND AHHP.

• Dude, you're not even gonna tell us WHERE these gigs are???

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    recommend flying with rakkords

• Dude, you're not even gonna tell us WHERE these gigs are???

Um...New York, but more on that later.

[color:white]NY STRUTTERS: Don't worry--you'll all get a chance to book me/buy me drinks/put me up on your spots. [/color]

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I've had this for a while, and really like it:

the inside has rigid plastic so it doesn't slouch (ie you can dj using it as though it were a crate) and the wheels and handle are real sturdy. you can take the padding out to fit more records in there and the hard plastic still keeps them safe. lots of room in the outside pouches, too. $140 ttl

they make a smaller bag that stacks on this but that's kind of fruity pebbles IMO.

i'm real wary of checking flight cases. especially overseas. i've heard too many horror stories.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Well when I did my out-of-town jet-setting GIG, I brought two record bags and checked in my suitcase.

*WOOF!*

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    for plane travel, i've been taking a roll case like urrrs mentioned as well as a large soft record bag (fully packed) and checking both - my rackords have been fine.

• I've had this for a while, and really like it:

Some pretty good choice on large fleamarkets too.