SO... MY CITY'S ABOUT TO GO UNDERWATER....

2»

Comments

• Pundit said:
    all the news reporters are doing the stock "standing waist deep in water live on the scene" bit on tv

they love this shit.....

"the man left his dog tethered on the deck, previous floods had never reached the deck.....now the dogs gone, just goes to show how serious this situation is."

"this is not a freak show, this is not a television event.....back to you in the studio"

"how are people feeling? excited? is there a novelty aspect to all this?, are they sad?, shocked?" " .........."no. people are not excited"

"it's wet mate"

^^^ quotes from the last 5 minutes watching the coverage..........stay classy TV dudes.

I've got say though, our politicians and EMS at all levels have been decidedly cool. :feelin_it: ................except for Rudd and Abbott who are being themselves. Bligh is a fucking rock.

• I'm tempted to buy QR National shares NOW, shit has dropped after heavy action. Regardless, It's only down by 20 points with a strong post flood marketing campaign to come, heavy government vested interest and higher resource prices already happening.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    yuichi said:

Hope you can keep your FRIENDS and FAMILY safe and dry!!

My friends little sister and her family are missing. Hope their in some camp somewhere.
    Heat Rocks for all the QLD homies ? what do you all think ?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    yuichi said:

Hope you can keep your FRIENDS and FAMILY safe and dry!!

My friends little sister and her family are missing. Hope their in some camp somewhere.
    Heat Rocks for all the QLD homies ? what do you all think ?

i am down if there is enough interest, same rules as the last, all proceeds to go to a charity of choice for the person parting with the records?

• kicks79 said:
    yuichi said:

My friends little sister and her family are missing.

Oh man, hold tight.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    kicks79: there's mayhem in parts up here, electricity gone, power lines cut, phone lines cut. hang in there dude, i'm sure they are fine. sending my prayers.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Crazy bad. Hope you dry out soon.

• Dam Sheep, I hope you and your family are ok. All you aussie strutters affected too.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    This is something truly painful to deal with and I've dealt with it before. My city was under 10-15 ft of water in June of 2008. Had lot's of friend's homes damaged and bulldozed while losing nearly everything. The river was around 20-25 ft flooded above normal :/. No one was prepared.

Hope everything works out for you guys down there. It's definitely a scary feeling especially knowing what water is capable of doing.

OK. Semi-good news guys. It seems as the tide came through 1 meter lower than anticipated. I was out at 4am at the river watching the tide coming in and driving around the city... things seemed fine for the most part.

It still means thats there are lots of property affected, however the damage is nowhere near as bad as 1974 was. Regional areas of Toowoomba and Ipswich got hit a lot harder. People seem in good spirits overall. Me and my friends have registered to help with the cleanup...

Thanks for all the good wishes Strutters!

peace.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Glad to hear that little bit of good news.

An old friend (first serious girlfriend) lives in Brisbane and works for TV 7. Fortunately their house isn't
    near the river, but I guess everybody there will have their lives affected for some time.

I hope Brisbane can recover soon - you did before (in '74), I'm sure you can do it again.

One of my best mates just phone and the water was exactly 5cm about to reach his door. Thank god it's sinking down now... the weather has been sunny these past two days, so the lack of rainfall has helped ease the swelling at the dam. It's not good news of course for EVERYONE at all. Lots of people affected. Thankfully our government has been exceptional in providing information, at WORST CASE SCENARIO levels so people are prepared. It's times like this I am proud to pay my taxes and be an Australian.

Hope your friend in Brissy is ok... Aussie's are pretty good at getting together for things like this, so we'll be good I'm sure of it... power in numbers.

peace.

• pimlicosquirrel said:

I've got say though, our politicians and EMS at all levels have been decidedly cool. :feelin_it: ................except for Rudd and Abbott who are being themselves. Bligh is a fucking rock.

Dude Rudd was about halfway between my place and my sisters near the share house she used to live at that we helped sandbag. He was helping people move shit dusk till dawn yesterday. He's actually a stand up guy. (Politics aside as I couldn't give a fuck)

Yeah he reps my area too... seems like he's a stand up bloke. He was up the road right after he got booted talking to people. A bit of a gimp when you hear him talk on TV, but that's cool he's actually on the streets puttin' in work!! Is your sisters cribbo ok?

• Yeah man, only a bit of water in the garage. The house next door is set down from the road and they are royally fucked. We helped them move stuff but the house looks pretty bad.

• bobbydee said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

Dude Rudd was about halfway between my place and my sisters near the share house she used to live at that we helped sandbag. He was helping people move shit dusk till dawn yesterday. He's actually a stand up guy. (Politics aside as I couldn't give a fuck)

That's honestly great to hear, I've worked in disaster mitigation related jobs for a good while now and for the most part when a politician rolls up it usually fucks up the program in a big way. I was part of "Koperbergs' Convoy" a few years back, for the fires in the Blue Mountains, 150 appliances nose to tail under lights and sirens "speeding" at 40kph to his future electorate.

I've also watched, (and heckled) as a retake was called for when a Sydney premier was glad-handing the CWA who was handing out food to displaced peopled at a flood. The camera man explained that the premier should look to be jostling for food and asked for us to crowd the serving area. I shit you not.

some picture I took in the past 24 hours...

in the middle of the city???

one of my favourite vietnamese restaurants

my work sandbagged up ready for the floods

back of work, legged up

west end, suburb bordering the city

convention centre

CRAZY - entrance to a car park, filled to the brim???

the river this afternoon

a couple of suburbs over from mine, peep the bus stop fully submerged

dried up on some streets

pontoon destroyed in the city

last shot leaving the city

little lizard chillin' near the river

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Crazy pics sheep. Good to see the aussies dealing with this so well though.

Also is it wrong to think that the australian pm is kinda blapabble? ;blap:

My friends lil sis and her fam turned up safe.
    Thanks for the kind thoughts.

kicks79 said:
    My friends lil sis and her fam turned up safe.
    Thanks for the kind thoughts.

great news brother!

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts

• Hang in there. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.

See you all Wednesday night. Big up Josie Styles for organizing this.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    See you all Wednesday night. Big up Josie Styles for organizing this.
    If facebook is anything to go by, this is going to be a massive event. 600 attendees (in 3 days) for a venue that only holds 250 people..
    Great to see local Hip Hop dudes get so behind this tragedy..

• djsheep said:

CRAZY - entrance to a car park, filled to the brim???

what's the famous line?
    you can't get there from here...