My city is nuts right now. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Fuck.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_88b4b436-1b53-11e0-8354-001cc4c002e0.html

This shit is just sad. My heart hurts.

Rep. Giffords, 5 others shot dead at Tucson rally

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot to death in Tucson this morning after a public event outside a Safeway grocery store.

National Public Radio reports she was shot in the head.

The Democrat, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting a "Congress on Your Corner" event at the Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media, NPR reported.

At least 10 other people, including members of her staff, were hurt. Giffords was transported to University Medical Center. Her condition was not immediately known.

Sheriff???s bureau chief Rick Kastigar said 12 people were wounded ???some of them greatly.??? Ten people were transported to hospital.

The lone gunman is reportedly in custody.

Stay tuned to Starnet for more updates.

Comments

• Holy shit

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367/congresswoman-shot-in-arizona

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and six others died after a gunman opened fire at a public event on Saturday, the Pima County, Ariz., sheriff's office confirms.

The 40-year-old Democrat, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting a "Congress on Your Corner" event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

At least three other people, including members of her staff, were injured. Giffords was transported to University Medical Center in Tucson.

Giffords was talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and fired indiscriminately from about four feet away, Michaels said.

The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006. The "Congress on Your Corner" events allow constituents to present their concerns directly to her.

Giffords was married to astronaut Mark Kelly, a veteran of Desert Storm. They have two children.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm fucking shocked. This is terrible. Fuck is happening, dudes?

PS.

Fourth name down... :(

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just got off the phone with my mom.
    I was down there 2 days ago.

RIP.

SIFU

• absolutely horrible.

RIP

Cosmo said:
    I'm fucking shocked. This is terrible. Fuck is happening, dudes?

PS.

Fourth name down... :(

I was about to post that. Thanks Cosmo.

I hate to speculate and I know this thread's gonna devolve into some theory bullshit, but that deserves to be noted.

This is some sad, shameful shit. Local newscasters are sobbing and sniffling while reporting.

About 6 months or so, just about a mile and a half away south of the Safeway where the shooting took place, a once-prominent real estate developer was shot and killed point blank in the head during a 7am church meeting at Chick-Fil-A. Some dude rode up on a bike, walked straight up to dude, shot him and rode off. He was never found.

LaserWolf said:

RIP.

SIFU

Thank God she wasn't there, Dan. It sounds like something she would've attended.

• Cosmo said:

whether you view those little icons as gunsights or WP crosses, either way it's a horrible, horrible look.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Conflicting reports of her demise. Still not confirmed that she's dead. Many news sources CNN, Huff Post) retracting right now.

I'm getting conflicting news about her status. Most say she has died, a couple other saying she's still in surgery.

• What a tremendously cowardly act. The assassination of one of our representatives, especially one so actively engaging the public, is sad beyond words.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    peep sarahpac.com right now... and peep it 15 minutes ago http://twitpic.com/3o7pgo

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    NYT just corrected their story to say she's in surgery.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Herm said:
    LaserWolf said:

RIP.

SIFU

Thank God she wasn't there, Dan. It sounds like something she would've attended.

For sure. Thanks.

She didn't work directly with or for Gabby very much, but she was a supporter and their paths often crossed.

• Options

Jesse Kelly was the Teabagger who narrowly lost to Giffords in November.

• Unbelievably sad. The f*ck is wrong with this country?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    We don't know what happened yet; let's not jump to conclusions too quickly.

Now reports are saying that she was talking while being wheeled in to the hospital. Man, I'm hoping she pulls through.

• mannybolone said:
    We don't know what happened yet; let's not jump to conclusions too quickly.

• Terrible. I hope she pulls through.

• She's been pronounced dead.

Rest In Peace. Just awful.

• Options
    Herm said:
    Now reports are saying that she was talking while being wheeled in to the hospital. Man, I'm hoping she pulls through.

I hope that's accurate.

There are reports that a federal judge is one of the wounded, and also that an aide of Giffords' has died.

• Options
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    She's been pronounced dead.

A very good friend of mine is a nurse at the emergency unit of the hospital the Congresswoman and 3 others were taken to. From what I understand she's tending to these victims now.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    She's been pronounced dead.

Source? Just saying, cause after everyone did the initial reports I think everyone is kind of trigger shy to report it (sorry for the pun.)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This is really a huge thing too.

Cosmo said:
    This is really a huge thing too.

HUGE.

• Options
    Her husband supposedly was scheduled to lead the next shuttle mission.

• Herm said:
    Giffords was married to astronaut Mark Kelly, a veteran of Desert Storm. They have two children.
    : (

Poor kids!