Black Keys (latte pass)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
This comes half a year late but was wondering what Strutters think of this Akron duo? Their album in 2010, "Brothers," was rather killer to me - garage meets soul meets funk (recorded in Muscle Shoals no less).

I know some folks around hear have been digging on the video for "Tighten Up" (not a cover of the obvious tune).

Comments

• this thread is around 6 years late.

• vintageinfants said:
    this thread is around 6 years late.

Word. They've definitely evolved from the kind of tunes they were making at that time, though, back then and even more so earlier they were more of a fuzzy blues outfit.

• JSBX 2010

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Been listening to them since 2002, love every album. Got a family connection to one of their parents, so call me biased, but these guys are the real deal and are truly one of the best bands to come up this past decade. It's worthwhile going back and listening to their earlier albums to hear how they've progressed - 8 years ago I wouldn't have guessed that they'd end up doing such a rock-oriented record like "Tighten Up", but I think they really came into it with their own style.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I know it's not everyone's thing, but I love them. Seem very uncontrived to me.

Got my first exposure of them from my tour manager with "Rubber Factory." So imagine hearing that while driving late late summer nights through New Mexico and Arizona deserts. Kind of sealed the deal with me because that's how I digested it.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    got into them this past year. ashamed of myself for missing out for so long.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Akron represent.......ole to the days of opening up for them spinning 45's....Rubber Cities finest

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DCarfagna said:
    JSBX 2010
    Cosign

b/w

JSBX 1991 = Any number of blues rock power trios circa 1971

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

Ha, no doubt. But then again, no one on Strut has mentioned 'em prior.

• jaymack said:

Same here. I'm really bad about keeping up with new music.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    vintageinfants said:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/64488/

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    mannybolone said:
    vintageinfants said:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/64488/

Weird - didn't show up in the search.

DOUBLE latte pass.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Fell in love with "You're the One" a few years ago. Off of their album "Magic Potion." I don't like it quite as much anymore, but I have fond memories of where I heard it and who was playing it.

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    jaymack said:

I found them about a year ago as well. The song "I'll be your man" was my first run in. Great sound out of that record.

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    jaymack said:

I found them about a year ago as well. The song "I'll be your man" was my first run in. Great sound out of that record.

• kuriokurio 13 Posts
    What is the Strut's opinion of their Blakroc project?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I ride for the Black Keys, I've fallen a bit behind on picking their albums up though. Dude hits his snare drum so badly that he went through 3 heads in one concert last time they played Auckland.

• they're hit and miss imo. some skippable stuff, some okay stuff, and some incredible shit.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    dudes are really comparing these guys to Jon Spencer Blues Explosion?

that makes zero sense to me. JSBX were a noisy, uptown, pseudo-avant band - these guys (from what I know of them) are pretty straight-forward blues rock, heavy on the riffs and with soulful vocals, something you never heard from the whoops and howls of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

More on-topic, never owned an album by Black Keys but like just about everything I've heard from them and think "Tighten Up" may have been my favorite mainstream radio hit of the year, right up there with Broken Bells.

• Brothers was one of my favorite albums last year.

I HATED Blakroc though...it was awful.

• SoulOnIce said:
    dudes are really comparing these guys to Jon Spencer Blues Explosion?

that makes zero sense to me. JSBX were a noisy, uptown, pseudo-avant band - these guys (from what I know of them) are pretty straight-forward blues rock, heavy on the riffs and with soulful vocals, something you never heard from the whoops and howls of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

Thanks to SoI for taking care of that so I don't have to. Don't see the comparison at all.

Love the band, have for years... Can't see enough threads about them. We're all in a better world if this is one of the biggest rock bands on the planet.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Semi-related: Would anyone here go see (or can vouch for) JSBX live in 2011? (later this week related...) No, I've not seen them live before, but used to like their albums circa early/mid 90s.

• holmes said:
    Semi-related: Would anyone here go see (or can vouch for) JSBX live in 2011? (later this week related...) No, I've not seen them live before, but used to like their albums circa early/mid 90s.

Saw them last summer. Good time, but they definitely seemed to have less energy. Would highly recommend checking Heavy Trash if they come around. That was a way better show.

• Blackroc sounds somehow like the vocals were not recorded well to fit the instrumentation. The verses are generally terds too.
    I definitely ride for Brothers and the Keep it Hid solo lp. Not really familiar with their older stuff.

• i think THIS was actually the first song i head from them...... it got used in the movie black snake moan some time later.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    First time I heard Black Keys I immeiately thought of this....

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    holmes said:

if it's cheap, it might be worth a check. after seeing them at the height of their 90's booze/smack fueled best though, the recent shows just don't compare.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    First time I heard Black Keys I immeiately thought of this....

this is why i dig soulstrut. Never heard this before. Sounds good.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Saw them play near here in 2003 and it was rad!

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I saw them for the first time this past Thursday. They're a lot better live than I was expecting. Auerbach's a much better showman that I was expecting. Recommended.