On DJ Screw

Comments

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    you can't
    lol
    a post where we're laughing at you, not with you.

keep gripping, flipping and pumping that kanye sonnnnnn

bw

8:25 - but you should do your homework and listen to the whole freestyle

I guess screw didnt flip this one.
    btw this was a great show - chronic tour at brixton academy back in the days.
    on some hip hop globe trotting for years - new jack biatches

• Cool story bro

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Scott said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Yeah, I guess like I used to do with Project Blowed...I over-account for all the blind hate that comes Screw's way, by trying to police those who actually like him but possibly not in such an absolute manner as I or others I know do.

Realist shit you ever wrote.

I know, right?

The dude has been doing some reflecting!

Divorce: The Final Frontier.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    staxwax said:
    I guess screw didnt flip this one.
    btw this was a great show - chronic tour at brixton academy back in the days.
    on some hip hop globe trotting for years - new jack biatches

• ok now stop this foolishness & please post some nice dj screw mixtape freestyles i never heard much of this stuff over here but i love texas rap

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    So whats the science behind the vocals? Did dudes rap that slow, which seems unlikely, or did they record tracks at mid tempos and then slow them down/ And how did they do that, computer or slowing the tapes down when records/

Not being a hater, but since Im not that familiar with the Screw phenomenom, I only caught a few bits and piece over the years, I want to know what it is that he did exactly? Im assuming theres some technical skills he developed/innovated beyond just mixing records at -8.

LokoOne said:
    So whats the science behind the vocals? Did dudes rap that slow, which seems unlikely, or did they record tracks at mid tempos and then slow them down/ And how did they do that, computer or slowing the tapes down when records/

Not being a hater, but since Im not that familiar with the Screw phenomenom, I only caught a few bits and piece over the years, I want to know what it is that he did exactly? Im assuming theres some technical skills he developed/innovated beyond just mixing records at -8.

On the freestyles, dudes did just rap that slow to match the slowed beats.

And Screw did far more than just slow the beats (usually beyond -8)...he chopped them, basically doubling up snares at certain intervals to craft bar patterns, wholly different from those of the original beats themselves...i.e. live beat juggling-esque remixes.

When he screwed original songs with vocals still on them (opposed to screwing instrumentals for in-house rappers to freestyle over)...he'd frequently repeat certain lines 3 times, with little scratches thrown in...from my view, vaguely approximating the classic aab bluesprint.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Did anyone have those dual tapedecks back in the day that had pitch adjustment on them? I am pretty certain I read an interview years ago(Sorry, I can't recall where) and Screw adressed this question specifically. Listen to 3 In The Morning for example: All those beats mixed together would be difficult to pull off with the pitch so slow. I think people tend to over analyze how Screw got his music to sound like it did. Im sure he recorded it normal, then pitched it down.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    double post

• you've got to be over-thinking screw's approach. almost any 4 track tape machine had a pitch control. record the mix, freestyles and all, then slow it down and master on another tape. nothing amazing there. cutting 2 records back and forth, doubling snares, nothing amazing there. i can't see how anyone can listen to "genius of love" slowed down and think it's funky or innovative unless they were high on some good shit. it's certainly different, but it seems to me to be an acquired taste.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Or just speed up the tape you're recording on and everything comes out slow when played back on a normal system.

I think Madlib uses a similar technique when recording his Lord Quas raps.

Y'all are dorks. Go ahead and do the stuff Screw was doing, seeing how it's all so easy for you with your post-production projections and whatnot, and then see how you somehow don't create the following that Screw garnered. Yeah, it was nothing special. People were just messed up on drugs to like it. It wasn't innovative at all. Whatever clinched butt bullshit you want to think...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• those tempos are just awful. is this hip hop for dudes on heroin or qualudes?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    those tempos are just awful. is this hip hop for dudes on heroin or qualudes?

you should get a job in A&R

"Hey DJ Screw, cool thing you got going here, but can you just not chop & screw it? maybe pep it up a little so people can dance?"

• leiloscustoms
    1 year ago

this shit go hard good??? shit mane

• Soulhawk said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    those tempos are just awful. is this hip hop for dudes on heroin or qualudes?

you should get a job in A&R

"Hey DJ Screw, cool thing you got going here, but can you just not chop & screw it? maybe pep it up a little so people can dance?"

yeah and we'd like if you didn't use the lyric "higher" on the broadcast because people will think it means you are referring to drugs and this is a family show.

this thread is my first exposure to dj screw and am not a person who is coming from a hip hop background at all, but i question the musicality of it. it comes off as a gimmick and not a very good one at that. if you have to be seriously high to enjoy or get something then i don't know. just an opinion.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

this thread is my first exposure to dj screw and am not a person who is coming from a hip hop background at all

You don't say

Stick to sweating unreleased CTI grailz, dude

• soulstrut: proving that opinions can be wrong since 1999

• faux_rillz said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

this thread is my first exposure to dj screw and am not a person who is coming from a hip hop background at all

You don't say

Stick to sweating unreleased CTI grailz, dude

you stick to keeping it personal and bitter, sport.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    djkingotto said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    LokoOne said:

On the freestyles, dudes did just rap that slow to match the slowed beats.
    you've got to be over-thinking screw's approach. almost any 4 track tape machine had a pitch control. record the mix, freestyles and all, then slow it down and master on another tape. nothing amazing there. cutting 2 records back and forth, doubling snares, nothing amazing there.
    Y'all are dorks. Go ahead and do the stuff Screw was doing, seeing how it's all so easy for you with your post-production projections and whatnot, and then see how you somehow don't create the following that Screw garnered.

To my ears it sounds like he's pitching down in a two-step process, first slowing down from the turntables, then slowing again when recording to cassette. The second part may be confirmed in Daryl Scott's recollection:
    ???He had a multitracker, which allowed you to really slow that pitch down,??? Scott says. ???I thought it was a little bit too much. The first time I popped a tape of his in the deck, I tried to push stop because I thought it was being chewed up.???

For King Otto's statement that it was 'nothing amazing', Screw was the first person to do it consistently and make it into a style. How else would you define innovation?

For Robert, it would be better for you to say you don't know the exact process used than to just guess. A large part of DJ Screw's work is the techniques and technical processes he used, and his legacy would be better served by accuracy.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Y'all are dorks. Go ahead and do the stuff Screw was doing, seeing how it's all so easy for you with your post-production projections and whatnot, and then see how you somehow don't create the following that Screw garnered. Yeah, it was nothing special. People were just messed up on drugs to like it. It wasn't innovative at all. Whatever clinched butt bullshit you want to think...

are you kidding me ? i understand you rep hard for anything coming out of your area....but damn man get off it.....
    heres what people were doing in 1967 recording real live humans that play instruments....which resulted in, SLOWING THINGS DOWN, backwards loops, and so much more.............for the 1st time with the beatles.

"All of the Sgt. Pepper tracks were recorded at Abbey Road using mono, stereo and 4-track recorders. Like its predecessors, the recording made extensive use of the technique known as bouncing down, in which a number of tracks were recorded across the four tracks of one recorder, which were then mixed and dubbed down onto one track of the master 4-track machine. This enabled the Abbey Road engineers to give The Beatles a virtual 16-track studio, since they could bounce down 16 tracks into four with only the loss of one generation in quality".

no diss to screw at all, but as far as production/ innovation...cmon son.

so what , screw doubled up on records and slowed songs and vocals down, to an unbearable tempo for anybody outside of the region.... and..... thats genius ? as if his production techniques went on to heights never before imagined.
    you should take a peek at what goes on technically before deeming one genius for things that are truly not.
    nothing new or mind blowing for any studio savvy/ educated mind going on there, except for a major tempo drop.

• dude was doing his shit to hardcore rap from the south, no one else was. his influence IS major, slow beats and screwed vocals is todays hip hop, it has been for quite a while, love it or hate it is the standard mostly because of Screw. if DJ Screw made private press folk rares you would praise him for being an eccentric and troubled genius. give the man his props, or dont, either way move on. also the Beatles example is totally off base, i dont think anyone is arguing that people hadn't slowed down music previously in one way or another, however Screw was doing it on turntables and it was at the time a new and unique thing.

• Genius doesn't always mean technical ability or process. Sometimes it's doing something, in a new way, in ones own realm, that's different and contextually innovative resulting in a new "style" or perspective.

• Like i said, not knocking dj screw at all...he made his mark and should be respected by all means.
    Its just that harvey really goes overboard for all things texas/ southern.

soulstrut ..where the notion of genius gets tossed around with ease.

as a dj/producer... and knowing a lil bit about how things get done, just cuz nobody else was doing it does not deem it to be next level, way ahead of its time. the beatles comparsion, i dont think is off base at all....one is trying to give all these props for some supposed next level groundbreaking approach. when its all been done before in some way shape or form.

make a mix in real time pitching it them down to -16 if you adjust the 1200s pitch, dump to a 4 track....pitch it down.

to have this stance:
    eureka!!!!! oh my goooooood how fucking insane, nooooo waaaaayyyyy... i cant believe this howd he do it ? this is so good.
    no.

slowing records down = genius ?

ok.

genius, ill go with gmf for making a crossfader, and marking records so we could keep time and double up, the 1st to do it and from that point on..... all of us do it. forever.

Paradigm Shift

Screw's genius is a'll of it...the process, the selections, the freestyles, the influence, the iconoclasm, etc...rolled into one. For me, I liked Screw's style from jump...so I didn't ever need anyone to inform me of his exact technical process in order to recognize the originality/innovation at work there. Plus, it's the same career closed-minded dudes on here hating on anything even barely out of their element yet again. How in the world they think it's kosher to still be talking down on Screw in 2010 is simply more for me to laugh at. I don't know how long they need to have their boom-bap sensibilities overshadowed and ignored before they realize that there are other viable options out there.

And the next person who says you have to be on drugs to appreciate Screw's music, may you be haunted by a slow motioned ghost the rest of your days...

RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    Its just that harvey really goes overboard for all things texas/ southern.

Yeah, I'm waaaaaay out of bounds offering praise to DJ Screw.

Next thing, I might even go even further overboard and say that Willie Nelson made a few decent country songs.

U dont have to like Chopped & Screwed stuff. U dont have to be a fan, but you have to give props to dude for introducing a new style of Hip Hop production to the game.

U can argue if its innovative and shit. Whatever.
    There were a gang of Hip Hop albums that got the Chopped & Screwed treatment for a minute.

In 2010 there really shouldnt be any defending the influence.