is the new young jeezy record really all that?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
everyone's been raving about it, but I can't believe it's all that. Who's heard this? Somebody school me...

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    wait side question--what is it with blog darlings and a lack of promotional flicks? this is like the only pic of Jeezy I've seen. and 6 months ago that gray background MIA flick was the only one anyone had.

weird, right?

• Speaking of MIA, did anyone catch that MTV news, where they were like

MTV:"how do you enjoy the newfound succcess"
    MIA:"I'm on the road so I can't bathe for two weeks [awkward pause]. For a woman, it's kind of... [awkward pause]... you know, bad... [awkward pause]"
    MTV: "..."

Bizarre. She couldn't think of something else to say?

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    AUNTIE HOUSE

• AUNTIE HOUSE

SHOTGUN LITERALLY

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I can't make up my mind whether the person who designed the snowman logo should be shot or applauded

saying

the streets of NYC are littered with snowmen

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    ...but seriously folks...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    hahaha

schmilischmakis

• AUNTIE HOUSE

SHOTGUN LITERALLY

KEEP A POCKET FULL O' "DO DA DAMN THING" MONEY

• "As for when Beanie will get back into the studio, that is still up in the air. Sigel said that he wasn't motivated to write rhymes in jail (out of the 10 months he was incarcerated, six of them were spent in solitary confinement because of fighting) and no MC in hip-hop inspires him, with the exception of Young Jeezy."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1507211/20050809/sigel_beanie.jhtml?headlines=true

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    applauded

"As for when Beanie will get back into the studio, that is still up in the air. Sigel said that he wasn't motivated to write rhymes in jail (out of the 10 months he was incarcerated, six of them were spent in solitary confinement because of fighting) and no MC in hip-hop inspires him, with the exception of Young Jeezy."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1507211/20050809/sigel_beanie.jhtml?headlines=true

I'm still not sold on homey but that's a bold fucking statement.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    It gets annoying after awhile,since he seems to punctuate every line he says with AAAAAAAYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!.
    I like the beats on it though.

"As for when Beanie will get back into the studio, that is still up in the air. Sigel said that he wasn't motivated to write rhymes in jail (out of the 10 months he was incarcerated, six of them were spent in solitary confinement because of fighting) and no MC in hip-hop inspires him, with the exception of Young Jeezy."

and Juelz is doing a whole record with him?

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    i bought a bootleg the other day with cover art calling him YOUNG JESSEE

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Here's the deal with Jeezy's shit. His content is all shit that Jay-Z, Scarface, Cam'ron and the Clipse have beat to death at this point - I used to move rocks like the Flintstones, I deal in more white than a linen factory, I spread more 'cane than plantation workers, blah blah blah. Moreover, some of his beats are pretty standard variety Southern bounce/crunk so if you're not feeling that sound, you might want to FF past them.

THIS SAID, Jeezy's got good presence, he has some clever lines and in general, I find his music to be quite listenable even if he's not really that to me. He reminds me of the Game, just nowhere near as didactic. Actualy, a better way to put it is: he's more charismatic than The Game, less than Cam'ron but if you like either of those two, you'll probably think Jeezy's some good stuff. If you don't give a rat's ass about either, YJ won't seem like anything special.

I'll say this much though: there are some good beats on the album and right now, the "Go Crazy" remix is my favorite shit.

• beats are banging.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    go crazy remix =

go crazy remix =

Yeah, even Fat Joe's ghostwritten lines sound good.

Actualy, a better way to put it is: he's more charismatic than The Game, less than Cam'ron but if you like either of those two, you'll probably think Jeezy's some good stuff. If you don't give a rat's ass about either, YJ won't seem like anything special.

I'll say this much though: there are some good beats on the album and right now, the "Go Crazy" remix is my favorite shit.

thanks, that helps...

• I can't make up my mind whether the person who designed the snowman logo should be shot or applauded

saying

the streets of NYC are littered with snowmen

LIKE OH MY GOD! THE GUY WHO DESIGNED IT TOTALLY DID NOT GO TO ART SCHOOL! ITS SO LOW-BROW AND IGNORANT! I SIMPLE LOVE IT! HEY CHECK ME OUT I GOT ONE THOSE SHIRTS AS WELL! I'M WEARING SOMETHING UGLY THAT BLACK PEOPLE LIKE TO WEAR, THATS SOOOO FUNNY!

LIKE OH MY GOD! THE GUY WHO DESIGNED IT TOTALLY DID NOT GO TO ART SCHOOL! ITS SO LOW-BROW AND IGNORANT! I SIMPLE LOVE IT! HEY CHECK ME OUT I GOT ONE THOSE SHIRTS AS WELL! I'M WEARING SOMETHING UGLY THAT BLACK PEOPLE LIKE TO WEAR, THATS SOOOO FUNNY!

I hope the snowman starts a glitter trend in urban wear.

• Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    hhhh

• O-Dub,I just read your article in Vibe(Jamie Foxx cover). Just felt like sharing that.

O-Dub,I just read your article in Vibe(Jamie Foxx cover). Just felt like sharing that.

That Crate Carrier piece you mean? Ha - it was crazy short. Not like my original copy was that much longer but I had more quotes.

• O-Dub,I just read your article in Vibe(Jamie Foxx cover). Just felt like sharing that.

That Crate Carrier piece you mean? Ha - it was crazy short. Not like my original copy was that much longer but I had more quotes.

yeah thats it. I almost told my girlfriend "hey I am on a message board with this guy"..but then I realized how fucking corny that sounded.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    It's probably sacrilege to say this in my household, but I think Young Jeezy is a one-trick pony.

Anticipating faux_rillz's groans of exasperation when he arrives at home and his attempt to delete this post fails

It's probably sacrilege to say this in my household, but I think Young Jeezy is a one-trick pony.

Anticipating faux_rillz's groans of exasperation when he arrives at home and his attempt to delete this post fails

:O indeed!

But in case anyone hasn't already heard the Jeezy remix, I just posted that up with some new joints too.

BTW T**ya, I agree that Jeezy can come off pretty one-trick. It's just a good trick though. I wouldn't bump his tape from beginning to end and back again but half the songs are tracks I'm definitely not mad at.

Then again, I found myself listening to the Ying Yang Twins CD and enjoying about 1/3 - 1/2 of that (none of the crunk stuff but the tracks where they flip Art of Noise and that "dum dah dah" shit are kind of fire). As for "Wait" and "Pull Ya Hair"...um...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    BTW T**ya, I agree that Jeezy can come off pretty one-trick. It's just a good trick though.

I agree that it's a good trick, and entertaining in limited quantities...But I also wonder if some of his appeal lies partly in our desperation to discover the next sound in hip-hop, or blow up the next regional artist? His voice/execution is very distinctive, but as you pointed out before, he ain't sayin' nothin. Call me "old fashioned," but I'll take TI over Young Jeezy anyday.

BTW T**ya, I agree that Jeezy can come off pretty one-trick. It's just a good trick though.

I agree that it's a good trick, and entertaining in limited quantities...But I also wonder if some of his appeal lies partly in our desperation to discover the next sound in hip-hop, or blow up the next regional artist? His voice/execution is very distinctive, but as you pointed out before, he ain't sayin' nothin. Call me "old fashioned," but I'll take TI over Young Jeezy anyday.

I think that's a good argument to have The Rubberband Man vs. The Snowman. I think Jeezy's gotten love because he makes catchy songs about slanging over hot tracks. Not necessarily deeper than that though.