is the new young jeezy record really all that?

2»

Comments

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I think Jeezy's gotten love because he makes catchy songs about slanging over hot tracks. Not necessarily deeper than that though.

But it has to be deeper! Otherwise, I won't be able to sleep at night trying to figure out why my man Slimm Calhoun never blew up.

• It's probably sacrilege to say this in my household, but I think Young Jeezy is a one-trick pony.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

btw, to quote a certain strutter from a week or two ago:

young jeezy is a poor man's T.I.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    BTW T**ya, I agree that Jeezy can come off pretty one-trick. It's just a good trick though.

I agree that it's a good trick, and entertaining in limited quantities...But I also wonder if some of his appeal lies partly in our desperation to discover the next sound in hip-hop, or blow up the next regional artist? His voice/execution is very distinctive, but as you pointed out before, he ain't sayin' nothin. Call me "old fashioned," but I'll take TI over Young Jeezy anyday.

yeah TI's the shit. I been bumpin trap muzik non-stop since I got it about a month.

oh yeah and Slim Cutta Calhoun didn't blow because nobody knew what "cut" meant five years ago.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i anxiously scrolled down for a faux post...only to be let down.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

He's out drinking with one of his lawyer buddies...Not to worry, he won't let this one go before the sun rises.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

He's out drinking with one of his lawyer buddies...Not to worry, he won't let this one go before the sun rises.

Who?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Here's the deal with Jeezy's shit. His content is all shit that Jay-Z, Scarface, Cam'ron and the Clipse have beat to death at this point - I used to move rocks like the Flintstones, I deal in more white than a linen factory, I spread more 'cane than plantation workers, blah blah blah. Moreover, some of his beats are pretty standard variety Southern bounce/crunk so if you're not feeling that sound, you might want to FF past them.

THIS SAID, Jeezy's got good presence, he has some clever lines and in general, I find his music to be quite listenable even if he's not really that to me. He reminds me of the Game, just nowhere near as didactic. Actualy, a better way to put it is: he's more charismatic than The Game, less than Cam'ron but if you like either of those two, you'll probably think Jeezy's some good stuff. If you don't give a rat's ass about either, YJ won't seem like anything special.

I'll say this much though: there are some good beats on the album and right now, the "Go Crazy" remix is my favorite shit.

Damn, I pretty much agree. Don't forget the compelling backstory, though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    BTW T**ya, I agree that Jeezy can come off pretty one-trick. It's just a good trick though.

I agree that it's a good trick, and entertaining in limited quantities...But I also wonder if some of his appeal lies partly in our desperation to discover the next sound in hip-hop, or blow up the next regional artist? His voice/execution is very distinctive, but as you pointed out before, he ain't sayin' nothin. Call me "old fashioned," but I'll take TI over Young Jeezy anyday.

I think that's a good argument to have The Rubberband Man vs. The Snowman. I think Jeezy's gotten love because he makes catchy songs about slanging over hot tracks. Not necessarily deeper than that though.

Not much of an argument.

T.I >>>>>>>>>> Jeezy

And that's coming from probably the second biggest Jeezy fanboy on this site.

You gotta realize that Trap Muzik is now a regional classic and has provided the inspiration for a lot of younger artists' whole shit, including Jeezy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Damn, I pretty much agree. Don't forget the compelling backstory, though.

• He's out drinking with one of his lawyer buddies...

AND THEN WHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTT........

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    boom boom clap.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    THIS SHIT IS GOING DOWN LIKE A MUTHA FUCKING PLANE CRASH
    SHIS IS GOING TO BURN LIKE A BAD ASS PERM

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    is that a typewriter in the background on thug motivation 101? some weird digital shit? sounds like really fast typing with a beep at the end.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    hmmmm.....he somehow doesnt seem as cool after the soulstrut analysis.