Grap Luva plays Damu some old beats.

13»

Comments

• bassie said:

But if we want to go down the path of being drawn to what is not you, why do only non-drug-, crime- and "street"life rap fans get clowned?
    I don't see never-ending jabs at the Euro/middle America white boy fascination with all things Brazilian and/or African? They get put on a pedestal for bringing that music/perspective to the rest of the world - but fans of new/trap/Southern/whteverthefuck rap get shat on for impeding human progress.

I'm having some problems with the distinction you make here. Since the people you're referring to typically don't understand the lyrics in Brazilian and African music, and if music is understood to be universal, the idea of "not you" becomes very arbitrary and even dangerous. On the the other hand, the themes in "crime rap" are universally recognized as negative (directly profiting off the misery of others, materialism, misogyny, etc.) and at that level few listeners can claim to relate to it. Especially on Soulstrut.

The undeniable fact is that most, if not all of us listen to music that is "not you" in some sense-- from classical to death metal fans. But there's a major difference between "not you" in the superficial sense (geography, even culture), and "not you" at some deeper level: the listener's values are at odds with those expressed in the music.

The greater the disparity between the perceived values of the music and the listener, and the wider the cultural gap between them, the easier and more tempting it is to clown I believe.

• Regardless of the genre, I never understood why people get their feelings hurt when someone's not 'feeling' the music they like.

Criticism is an important part of creativity. If everyone just went around saying they liked everything - wow, what a boring world. And I'd fear for creative advancement.

And, if I don't agree with, or don't find anything useful in someone's criticism - oh well. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the thing.

Someone thinks the tofu dish I made is tepid? If their criticism is funny, or insightful, we had a good conversation. Maybe my perspective is enhanced. If their criticism is lame - NOM NOM NOM. I'm loving my tofu. Too bad for them they miss out enjoying it. But I'm certainly not reaching for the tissues!

That said, I couldn't get thru much of the video - lol. Gives me college dorm flashbacks.

• And why do you have to 'relate' to the music you like? I certainly don't 'relate' to a lot of the tv or movies I watch and enjoy.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    brokenrecord said:
    And why do you have to 'relate' to the music you like? I certainly don't 'relate' to a lot of the tv or movies I watch and enjoy.
    Maybe you're just a bad person who likes bad things in your entertainment and in real life.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    this place is getting worse every day.

• i always liked Half Man/Half Amazing, didn't know Grap came up with the beat. i liked the second beat he played as well.

• brokenrecord said:
    And why do you have to 'relate' to the music you like? I certainly don't 'relate' to a lot of the tv or movies I watch and enjoy.

You have to think in pretty simple terms like "the main character in this movie is an alien, I can't relate to him because I'm human" to say that. Once you look at it in more generally, e.g. this character is facing a problem, I too have faced a problem. Or this rapper is passionate about his craft, I'm like that too... Definitely not saying that it's a conscious decision half of the time, but there has to be some connection there, lyrical or musical, to draw you back to it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I like music.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    I like music.

Me too!!! It touches my very soul and it provides the backdrop for the most significant episodes of my life. The way hearing a particular song draws out deep, meaningful memories is downright magical. Playing "Standing at the Judgment" by The Sensational Nightingales this morning brought me to tears for how it reminded me of my deceased father, as it was one of his favorite songs. Music is so powerful!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    this place is getting worse every day.

It's been something like 8 or 9 years and I still love this place more then ever. Granted, message board-wise, this is the only place I mess with it so I can't really compare and contrast, but still...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SP1200 is the "Foundation" of Hip Hop?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah the SP is an important facet in the growth of the sound in hip-hop, I would say.

Cosmo said:
    Yeah the SP is an important facet in the growth of the sound in hip-hop, I would say.

Uhhh....I know of its importance but the "foundation" isnt historically correct.

RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    fronting on sp 1200 beats = you never liked real hip hop to begin with. thats the foundation son.

???

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    bassie said:

But if we want to go down the path of being drawn to what is not you, why do only non-drug-, crime- and "street"life rap fans get clowned?
    I don't see never-ending jabs at the Euro/middle America white boy fascination with all things Brazilian and/or African? They get put on a pedestal for bringing that music/perspective to the rest of the world - but fans of new/trap/Southern/whteverthefuck rap get shat on for impeding human progress.

I'm having some problems with the distinction you make here. Since the people you're referring to typically don't understand the lyrics in Brazilian and African music, and if music is understood to be universal, the idea of "not you" becomes very arbitrary and even dangerous. On the the other hand, the themes in "crime rap" are universally recognized as negative (directly profiting off the misery of others, materialism, misogyny, etc.) and at that level few listeners can claim to relate to it. Especially on Soulstrut.

The undeniable fact is that most, if not all of us listen to music that is "not you" in some sense-- from classical to death metal fans. But there's a major difference between "not you" in the superficial sense (geography, even culture), and "not you" at some deeper level: the listener's values are at odds with those expressed in the music.

The greater the disparity between the perceived values of the music and the listener, and the wider the cultural gap between them, the easier and more tempting it is to clown I believe.

I agree it's not perfect and agree with some of what you've said. My point was more to the inconsistent pick and choose. The values argument is the one I also have a problem with, but I've pretty much exhausted this.
    I will say that a lot of people who dis (new) rap aren't listening to it to "understand" the lyrics anyway. How many people (who are not critics, etc.) listen to something to be able to better criticize it beyond "this sounds like shit!".
    Yea, music is great, I love it.

• GRAP LUVA @ 2:33 ??

• batmon said:
    Cosmo said:

Uhhh....I know of its importance but the "foundation" isnt historically correct.

Hey everybody im a soulstrutter and love to over analyze every post.

Must I state the obvious ?

*Sample based hip hop music"... which is what you see in the video.

Let me clarify for those who cant read between the lines.
    As if we dont know the foundation of hip hop pre sampler ....
    Historically, It is certainly the foundation of sample based music.
    Shall i will continue stating more of the obvious...
    Prior to the sp1200 which is a sampler, the band would replay whatever breaks or disco song was big, that were being doubled up by djs and blah fuckking blah.

How do crap trap "mcs" even make its way into this thread ?
    Waaaaaay too much thought put into/ too much time on your hands bored at work essays on soulstrut.
    Internet chatboards>>>>who cares.

soulstrut revealed >>>

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    Terrible. Are you guys high-fivin each other in PMs or something?
    These attempts at burning/oh we're going to show him!/calling out Faux are embarrassing...and not for him.
    You'll have much more fun if you didn't take him, and yourselves, so seriously.

I thiink your over reacting here. Firstly i dont think any of the comments are unfair and out of oline personal attacks opn him. Secondly the dude chose to post a comment dismissing the Grap beats and being a smart ass (he coulda just ignored the thread) and thirdly he has a history of being much more venomous and insulting to ppl when they dont agree with his musicaly points of view. What gives faux the right to slag of ppl constantly on the board and then not have to cop a bit of his own medicine?

• LokoOne said:
    bassie said:
    Terrible. Are you guys high-fivin each other in PMs or something?
    These attempts at burning/oh we're going to show him!/calling out Faux are embarrassing...and not for him.
    You'll have much more fun if you didn't take him, and yourselves, so seriously.

I thiink your over reacting here. Firstly i dont think any of the comments are unfair and out of oline personal attacks opn him. Secondly the dude chose to post a comment dismissing the Grap beats and being a smart ass (he coulda just ignored the thread) and thirdly he has a history of being much more venomous and insulting to ppl when they dont agree with his musicaly points of view. What gives faux the right to slag of ppl constantly on the board and then not have to cop a bit of his own medicine?

you're over-analyzing.

bassie isn't not standing on any kind of principle or trying to be the resident "den mother", i think faux retained her as his soulstrut attorney.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i liked quite a few of the beats, and would purchase them if he ever decides to release them, I admittedly am a sucker for a nice dinosaur boom bap sp beat. What was most interesting in that clip for me the fact that I had never realized Grap had produced that Half Man track, and when you put it next to the other beats how obvious PR drum sounds are.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Part 2.

For the heads
    Dudes with chafed feminine parts need not apply.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    dam that last beat was ridiculous....
    that one belongs on the og soul survivor

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    new equipment coulda made one 14 minute video, but it wouldn't've had that warmth

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Cool to hear the pete rock boot camp stories in part 2.

I wasnt really dissing sp1200 beats or anything earlier...Its just Im surprised to see people are really still that interested.

and yes I have a large back catalog of jazz loops with a drum break.