Grap Luva plays Damu some old beats.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    28 to 50 is a better time span to use to describe how 90's boom bap has aged. For the average 28 year old it got increasingly less cool to be (around) with each passing year. From 56 to 78 it gets increasingly less bearable until it's put into a home and rarely visited. If your relationship with something hasn't changed in 22 years then you have to wonder if that's good or bad.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    bunch of posers in here

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    fronting on sp 1200 beats = you never liked real hip hop to begin with. thats the foundation son.

huh ?

not liking these rather tepid old beats = dissing all sp1200beats in history ?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    swissbeatz said:
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    fronting on sp 1200 beats = you never liked real hip hop to begin with. thats the foundation son.

huh ?

not liking these rather tepid old beats = dissing all sp1200beats in history ?

Bingo.

My feelings for beats that came out in 1998 haven't changed (unless they aged poorly) but I have no desire to hear stuff that wasn't good enough to get released then.

The 'damn, son lemme school you kids' dude needs to shut it mouth already.

I've loved plenty of eras of rock music from before 2010 and have no desire to hear people trying to relive that shit either.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Herm said:
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

if you claimed to have once liked something, i dont understand the concept of musical expiration.

i liked my grandmother when she was 56 but not at 78, cuz shes old and out of style and i dont like how she aged.

Thank you.

That analogy is great, by the way.

No, it's trash, but is to be expected from the usual logically-challenged poasters.

The better analogy would be a bunch of dudes getting red in the face huffing about "WHY CAN'T YOU JUST EMBRACE THIS PERSON WHO IS A POOR IMPERSONATOR OF YOUR GRANDMOTHER DON'T YOU HAVE ANY AFFECTION FOR YOUR GRANDMOTHER AT ALL!?"

yuichi said:
    Still amazes me how Faux_Rillz is supposedly a grown ass man that likes the type of rap music he likes......

I would be shocked if you had an accurate sense of what rap music I enjoy, as you've repeatedly demonstrated your inability to process the written word.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

if you claimed to have once liked something, i dont understand the concept of musical expiration.

i liked my grandmother when she was 56 but not at 78, cuz shes old and out of style and i dont like how she aged.

Thank you.

No, it's trash, but is to be expected from the usual logically-challenged poasters.

The better analogy would be a bunch of dudes getting red in the face huffing about "WHY CAN'T YOU JUST EMBRACE THIS PERSON WHO IS A POOR IMPERSONATOR OF YOUR GRANDMOTHER DON'T YOU HAVE ANY AFFECTION FOR YOUR GRANDMOTHER AT ALL!?"

If you never liked it, then I understand your point. It's folks that used to like it and now hate it (or hate that they use to) AND make it a point to trash talk the music and dudes who still have an appreciation for it that I have no respect for. (That second half is key. I get the whole "use to like" vs "don't like anymore" feelings people have.)

I can't cosign all of Raw's post 'cause I like 2-note synth keyboards. Some even more than boom bap. (Gasp!)

faux_rillz said:
    yuichi said:
    Still amazes me how Faux_Rillz is supposedly a grown ass man that likes the type of rap music he likes......

I would be shocked if you had an accurate sense of what rap music I enjoy, as you've repeatedly demonstrated your inability to process the written word.

Herm said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

Thank you.

If you never liked it, then I understand your point. It's folks that used to like it and now hate it (or hate that they use to) AND make it a point to trash talk the music and dudes who still have an appreciation for it that I have no respect for. (That second half is key. I get the whole "use to like" vs "don't like anymore" feelings people have.)

I can't cosign all of Raw's post 'cause I like 2-note synth keyboards. Some even more than boom bap. (Gasp!)

Who said I don't like, much less hate, boom-bap? Certainly not me.

faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

Thank you.

Who said I don't like, much less hate, boom-bap? Certainly not me.

I don't think you hate it all, but I think it's safe to say you find joy and pleasure in this more often than not:

make it a point to trash talk the music and dudes who still have an appreciation for it

• Haha dude posted Camp Lo and Gravediggaz appreciation the last couple weeks and the only thing I've seen him dissing (other than this) was some Nu-Rap out of Chicago.

You want him to be one way. But he's the other way.

(no pause)

^^APOLOGIST^^

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    yuichi said:

You've demonstrated it quite often on this board. Trust me, we know.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Terrible. Are you guys high-fivin each other in PMs or something?
    These attempts at burning/oh we're going to show him!/calling out Faux are embarrassing...and not for him.
    You'll have much more fun if you didn't take him, and yourselves, so seriously.

bassie said:
    These attempts at burning/oh we're going to show him!/calling out Faux are embarrassing...and not for him.

Yall do Sunday brunches together?

• faux_rille is so soft

A bigger man would see something he didn't like, keep his mouth shut, and keep it moving. Have a great Saturday yall!

yuichi said:
    A bigger man would see something he didn't like, keep his mouth shut, and keep it moving. Have a great Saturday yall!

lmho - best resend that memo

bassie said:

Hell no. My issues have nothing to do with anybody else's and they predate most other folks time here, including yours.

I agree that I let it bother me too much - probably 'cause I expect more from some of the OG's - so without reiterating the many points I've made before I'll touch on these:

- I've met enough well-adjusted, friendly, respectful and straight-up Strutters in real life to take them and this place seriously. So where your problem is that, mine is the opposite. This board was my intro to becoming an "internet dude." I didn't and don't play the message board game where people create different online personalities or act differently behind a screen then they would in real-life.

- I don't draw a line between belittling and being mean-spirited and belittling and being mean-spirited eloquently. I'm smart enough to know they're the same damn thing.

That said, I do agree with Yuichi's point (and years ago, Guzzo's) about the far-removed's obscene fascination with drug-, crime- and "street"-themed music, but I know that goes waaaaay beyond Soulstrut so I usually keep my thoughts off here. I think that folks that are somewhat tied and/or have close family and friends that were or are still involved in those things hear the music differently. That belief could be wrong, but it rings true for me. And that pic of Michael Bolton was strictly clownage. That pic could apply to lot of folks. Sh*t, people who don't really know me would see me in that pic!

I'm trying to be better, but my internal struggle is that I can easily ignore and roll my eyes at straight up blatant ass sh*t-talking posts, but I let the subtle jabs get under my skin. I feel the former is too easy, like "dude, your post is idiotic trolling and every one can see that" so it's not even worth the time to reply. But seeing as how those posts are usually the ones that result in 5+ page threads, I know I'm in the minority.

Herm said:
    bassie said:

Hell no. My issues have nothing to do with anybody else's and they predate most other folks time here, including yours.

I agree that I let it bother me too much - probably 'cause I expect more from some of the OG's - so without reiterating the many points I've made before I'll touch on these:

- I've met enough well-adjusted, friendly, respectful and straight-up Strutters in real life to take them and this place seriously. So where your problem is that, mine is the opposite. This board was my intro to becoming an "internet dude." I didn't and don't play the message board game where people create different online personalities or act differently behind a screen then they would in real-life.

- I don't draw a line between belittling and being mean-spirited and belittling and being mean-spirited eloquently. I'm smart enough to know they're the same damn thing.

That said, I do agree with Yuichi's point (and years ago, Guzzo's) about the far-removed's obscene fascination with drug-, crime- and "street"-themed music, but I know that goes waaaaay beyond Soulstrut so I usually keep my thoughts off here. I think that folks that are somewhat tied and/or have close family and friends that were or are still involved in those things hear the music differently. That belief could be wrong, but it rings true for me. And that pic of Michael Bolton was strictly clownage. That pic could apply to lot of folks. Sh*t, people who don't really know me would see me in that pic!

I'm trying to be better, but my internal struggle is that I can easily ignore and roll my eyes at straight up blatant ass sh*t-talking posts, but I let the subtle jabs get under my skin. I feel the former is too easy, like "dude, your post is idiotic trolling and every one can see that" so it's not even worth the time to reply. But seeing as how those posts are usually the ones that result in 5+ page threads, I know I'm in the minority.

There's a lot in this post, but I'll address what comes to mind first.
    I can't comment on Guzzo's past posts on the subject, because I am not familiar. But if we want to go down the path of being drawn to what is not you, why do only non-drug-, crime- and "street"life rap fans get clowned?
    I don't see never-ending jabs at the Euro/middle America white boy fascination with all things Brazilian and/or African? They get put on a pedestal for bringing that music/perspective to the rest of the world - but fans of new/trap/Southern/whteverthefuck rap get shat on for impeding human progress.
    WTF do folks think went on in places like Lagos, Bamako and various Brazilian neighbourhoods?
    Fela is god but TI is a bad joke?
    On another note - James Brown's flamboyancy and Rick James' nasty over the top shit gets folks hard but it's unacceptable in present-day young dudes trying to stand out in a crowd?
    I don't need answers to these questions, by the way.

I, too, am not an "internet dude". This is the only message board I'm on and ever have been on. I have met some really wonderful, kind and genuine people off the Board, including Faux. Even still, I would not presume to know what his, or anyone else's, relationship to anything they listen to is based on.
    You're right, those immersed in the life probably listen to the music differently. Kinda like how my friends' parents listen to Duke Ellington differently...and now what?

You want to speak about mean-spirited and belittling? There is a difference between clowning folks for what they like, their taste, and going after people on a personal level. There's a lot of folks who can't seem to deal with that nuance. It has nothing to do with eloquence, though it helps.
    I can roll with the jokes that pass my path. I'm OK if no one likes what I like to listen to, but don't assume to know why I like it, how it makes me feel, what it tells me or how I feel about anything because of what I listen to. I get that for some people they can't separate those two aspects, but I recommend it.

bassie said:
    There's a lot in this post, but I'll address what comes to mind first.
    I can't comment on Guzzo's past posts on the subject, because I am not familiar. But if we want to go down the path of being drawn to what is not you, why do only non-drug-, crime- and "street"life rap fans get clowned?
    I don't see never-ending jabs at the Euro/middle America white boy fascination with all things Brazilian and/or African? They get put on a pedestal for bringing that music/perspective to the rest of the world - but fans of new/trap/Southern/whteverthefuck rap get shat on for impeding human progress.
    WTF do folks think went on in places like Lagos, Bamako and various Brazilian neighbourhoods?
    Fela is god but TI is a bad joke?
    On another note - James Brown's flamboyancy and Rick James' nasty over the top shit gets folks hard but it's unacceptable in present-day young dudes trying to stand out in a crowd?
    I don't need answers to these questions, by the way.

Good, 'cause I can't answer any of these. It goes way beyond Soulstrut. Plus I can't speak on the Brazilian/African/world music thing 'cause those threads and most of that music go beyond my reach as far my music knowledge goes. Are you sure those types aren't mocked or ridiculed though? I always see "Euroman" shattage pop up in Hip Hop threads, I just assumed (my bad, I know) it was an across-the-board silly American bias.

bassie said:
    You want to speak about mean-spirited and belittling? There is a difference between clowning folks for what they like, their taste, and going after people on a personal level. There's a lot of folks who can't seem to deal with that nuance. It has nothing to do with eloquence, though it helps.
    I can roll with the jokes that pass my path. I'm OK if no one likes what I like to listen to, but don't assume to know why I like it, how it makes me feel, what it tells me or how I feel about anything because of what I listen to. I get that for some people they can't separate those two aspects, but I recommend it.

With the exception of a few nutcases we've had in the past, has anybody really been THAT bad on personal attacks? I think some people get personal in a silly, elementary school playground kind of way but I think most of us are like "yawwnnn...again with the bald/fat/whatever jokes?," including the recipients. I'm not insinuating it's acceptable but at the same time I've been guilty of it.

I'm like you in the "rolling with jokes" sense, but I come from the school where fools clown HARD. (See: DJ Daze) Unrelated, but that's what makes me such a good sh*t talker. Growing up, I HAD to be.

I never assumed why you or anybody else likes what they like and how it makes you feel. If I came across that way I didn't mean to.

Well, if personal attacks haven't been THAT bad, then neither have any mean-spirited or belittling comments....so what are we posting about?

To be clear, I am not speaking for anyone but myself.

bassie said:
    yuichi said:

^^^And this.^^^

Why would you give Yuichi a hard time for this but not who it's referring to? (If "resend that memo" means something else, I apologize.) As the self-proclaimed inventor of 'STFU & KIM,' I wish that EVERYBODY would take heed.

I'm sure it's 'cause you know Faux in real life, and really, there's not a problem with that. My loyalty runs deep so I know how that goes. Just seems unnecessary to try and turn it back on him.

P.S. Man, I better not come off as a Yuichi defendor and/or accomplice after all is said and done here. No disrespect, Yuichi, but your comments and posts trip me the f*ck out sometimes, holmes.

bassie said:
    Well, if personal attacks haven't been THAT bad, then neither have any mean-spirited or belittling comments....so what are we posting about?

Absolutely nothing, I suppose.

Let's all just "la la la" our way back to the heels thread and be done with it.

Herm said:
    bassie said:
    yuichi said:

^^^And this.^^^

Why would you give Yuichi a hard time for this but not who it's referring to? (If "resend that memo" means something else, I apologize.) As the self-proclaimed inventor of 'STFU & KIM,' I wish that EVERYBODY would take heed.

I'm sure it's 'cause you know Faux in real life, and really, there's not a problem with that. My loyalty runs deep so I know how that goes. Just seems unnecessary to try and turn it back on him.

Oh boy. This shit is getting messy and I have to apologize to Faux for his name appearing so many times. You must be cringing.
    No, I most definitely was not turning it back on him.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I just told my fiance "people are arguing about 'Grap Luva plays Damu some old beats'"

She said "I don't even know what you just said"

• yuichi said:

As the above ...

Wow ...I hardly ever chip in ...but this truly shows how threads can go wrong/messy ... this is just a really nice video clip of a super humble dude who could easily give it the big one (as in 'i'm Pete Rock's brother, Hip-Hop owes me this/that & the other') playing some old beats off the SP (which he has obviously been asked to do) and to me they still sound so really nice & warm (vested interest as an avid SP user here) & explaining his contribution to the production of the Method Man track (only when asked to I might add)....i'm really not sure what there is to hate on at all...

lol - exactly.
    I'm off to get drunk, get high and, goodness willing, I'll hear one rap song recorded post-2008 that I can dance to. Wish me luck.
    Have a great Saturday night everyone!