My 5 all-time favorite raps

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    DJ_Enki said:

I wanna change my Kool G Rap nod from "Streets of New York" to "Kool Is Back" :hard_as_fuck:

Big difference..... :game_over:

Indeed. I picked "Streets of New York" at first because I had listened to it a couple days ago, and I fuckin' love that song, but "Kool Is Back" is ri-goddamn-diculous. Pure :face_melt:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I can turn this into a "Wanted: Dead Or Alive" appreciation thread at any time...

Cosmo said:
    I can turn this into a "Wanted: Dead Or Alive" appreciation thread at any time...

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    batmon said:
    Cosmo said:

G Raps kills this song...

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    batmon said:
    jjrocks said:
    Snoop "Lodi Dodi"...

Massive Fail

b/w

Young Holt Unlimited Plays Superfly > Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

^^^Thinks the beat for "M.I.A." is better than "Next Episode" because Missin Linx found the loop first.

Snoop recorded the definite version of that rap. Slick Rick deserves much of credit, but Snoop's version is better.

Standing on the shoulder of giants related.

And snoop is a tall dude to begin with.

jjrocks said:
    batmon said:
    jjrocks said:
    Snoop "Lodi Dodi"...

Massive Fail

b/w

^^^Thinks the beat for "M.I.A." is better than "Next Episode" because Missin Linx found the loop first.

Snoop recorded the definite version of that rap. Slick Rick deserves much of credit, but Snoop's version is better.

point of reference related...."rap is outta control" (c) EPMD...wow

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    jjrocks said:
    batmon said:
    jjrocks said:
    Snoop "Lodi Dodi"...

Massive Fail

b/w

Snoop recorded the definite version of that rap...

You must be out of your fucking mind.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Good to see T La Rock get due dap in a rap thread.

He didn't write 'it's yours' though. Great track BTW.

Craig said:
    Jspr said:
    Good to see T La Rock get due dap in a rap thread.

He didn't write 'it's yours' though. Great track BTW.

Didn't he and his brother Special K write it??? I also ride for "Back to burn" 12 inch he dropped also.....

T La Rock and Kurtis Mantronik Live in London

jjrocks said:
    batmon said:
    jjrocks said:
    Snoop "Lodi Dodi"...

Massive Fail

b/w

How did i miss this!!!!!.

How old were u in 1985?

The live version w/ the Vanessa Williams verse > sons the vinyl version(latte pas folks memorized that version) and the Snoop version.
    And its supposed to be accompanied by a Human BEATBOX.

U can prefer the Snoop version but call it the definitive version is like preferring Saul Williams covering I Have A Dream.

Doug E. Fresh & Slick Rick's routine is deep like that.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:

U can prefer the Snoop version but call it the definitive version is like preferring Saul Williams covering I Have A Dream.

^^^ Apples and oranges, Harvey/Batmon, apples as oranges.

Slick Rick deserves way more credit for his version of the song than Snoop for his. But as for the performance, Snoop's version is in the same mold but is a significant improvement on the original. I'd be surprised to meet a rap fan under 30 who thought otherwise.

Which opinion about their performance is more likely to be accurate: The opinion of someone who was an infant in 1985 and who has a lot of exposure to both versions or the opinion of someone who memorized the OG Rick version?

Over 30 folks can certainly think that Slick Rick's flow is better. But it seems unlikely that younger rap fans are making some kind of mistake in thinking Snoop's flow is better.

The OG is genius, no doubt, and Snoop's isn't. But by definitive version, I mean the version that future generations of serious rap fans will prefer. Or the version that if current rap fan who miraculously had never heard either would prefer.

jjrocks said:
    ^^^ Apples and oranges, Harvey/Batmon, apples as oranges.

Slick Rick deserves way more credit for his version of the song than Snoop for his. But as for the performance, Snoop's version is in the same mold but is a significant improvement on the original. I'd be surprised to meet a rap fan under 30 who thought otherwise.

Which opinion about their performance is more likely to be accurate: The opinion of someone who was an infant in 1985 and who has a lot of exposure to both versions or the opinion of someone who memorized the OG Rick version?

Over 30 folks can certainly think that Slick Rick's flow is better. But it seems unlikely that younger rap fans are making some kind of mistake in thinking Snoop's flow is better.

The OG is genius, no doubt, and Snoop's isn't. But by definitive version, I mean the version that future generations of serious rap fans will prefer. Or the version that if current rap fan who miraculously had never heard either would prefer.

No Limit "The Symphony" > Juice Crew "The Symphony"........ serious rap fans prefer emcees to have not redone someone else song.....

Who said anything about whether Snoop should have redone that song? The song is there. So which should I listen to? Which one is better? No one think that originals are always better than covers. Are covers always worse if they don't "make the song their own?" I don't think so. They can be better songs, though they just don't represent the kind of creativity that the OG has.

jjrocks said:
    Who said anything about whether Snoop should have redone that song? The song is there. So which should I listen to? Which one is better? No one think that originals are always better than covers. Are covers always worse if they don't "make the song their own?" I don't think so. They can be better songs, though they just don't represent the kind of creativity that the OG has.

"though they just don't represent the kind of creativity that the OG has.."

Isn't that the shit emcees are made of creativity?? So next mofo's gonna do a LP of "Classic Raps Covers" ? And there was a lot of discussion regarding Snoop doing that song when his version dropped guess you missed that...... Wow never mind I am done..

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I was gonna say, Snoop caught hell a little bit when he came out with that song.

And dude, just because you prefer that song and because you think it's one that you're more accustomed to because of your age/exposure doesn't make it the "definitive version" as you call it.

• just two personal favourites from me...

gza "4th chamber" - obvious choice, but there are clearly so many good lines in this:

d.i.t.c. "da enemy"... big l's verse on this. probably would be a better song if it ended at about 1:20...

• jjrocks said:
    But as for the performance, Snoop's version is in the same mold but is a significant improvement on the original. I'd be surprised to meet a rap fan under 30 who thought otherwise.

I was an infant around 1985 and there's no doubt in my mind that Slick Rick's version is the "definitive" one. And I'm pretty sure I heard Snoop's version first.

sweatshop said:
    jjrocks said:

"though they just don't represent the kind of creativity that the OG has.."

Isn't that the shit emcees are made of creativity?? So next mofo's gonna do a LP of "Classic Raps Covers" ? And there was a lot of discussion regarding Snoop doing that song when his version dropped guess you missed that...... Wow never mind I am done..

Put your feelings down, walk away from them, and re-read what I wrote. Maybe Snoop shouldn't have made that song. Maybe it makes him a worse emcee for covering someone else's song. That has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said. I only said that Snoops rap performance is better. And I interpreted this as your favorite top 5 favorite rap performance. It's a perfectly good question to ask, regardless of who wrote it, what recorded performance do you prefer?

For all I've said, Snoop's song is worse. Maybe you think Snoop's song is worthless compared to the OG b/c of his lack of creativity. That sounds reasonable to me. It's also perfectly consistent with everything I've said.

Cosmo said:

And dude, just because you prefer that song and because you think it's one that you're more accustomed to because of your age/exposure doesn't make it the "definitive version" as you call it.

Fair enough. But that point cuts both ways. Especially if the younger folks are just as well-versed but had a different order of exposure.

We probably don't mean the same thing by "definitive version"--you seem to require a bit more consensus than me. I just meant that as a way of stating that it's the better version.

I've never met anyone think that Snoop's version is worse who didn't grow up with/have strong emotional attachments to Slick Rick's version. I've met plenty of people who've been listening to rap for 15 years, but didn't have any emotional attachments to either person. Almost all think that Snoop's version sounds better.

That's not conclusive. Do you think that provides at least some evidence that Snoop's version sounds better? I do.

For all I've said, snoop MIGHT be the worse emcee, the worse lyricist. Maybe never should have touched a classic. I don't really think about those things though when I'm deciding what CD to put on in the car. Or what song I think is better.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    jjrocks said:
    But as for the performance, Snoop's version is in the same mold but is a significant improvement on the original. I'd be surprised to meet a rap fan under 30 who thought otherwise.

I was an infant around 1985 and there's no doubt in my mind that Slick Rick's version is the "definitive" one. And I'm pretty sure I heard Snoop's version first.
    this

b/w

SOULSTRUT RAPP THREADZ

More G Rap....

This here also

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jimi Hendrix "All Along The Watchtown" - THE DEFINITIVE VERSION
    Sinead O'Connor "Nothing Compares To You" - THE DEFINITIVE VERSION
    Snoop Dogg "La Di Da Di" - A cover version.

Saying.

• i can't believe this dude is really sitting here trying to bend the definition of a "definitive" version of an artwork to his iron will...

Brian said:
    hertzhog said:
    jjrocks said:

this

b/w

SOULSTRUT RAPP THREADZ

Why would the order in which I heard the songs make a difference to which one sounds better? That's just idiotic.

i was giving reasons to think it's definitive, not changing the definition.

definitive = best recording of a song so far. this is one of the several standard usages.

. I've met plenty of people who've been listening to rap for 15 years, but didn't have any emotional attachments to either person. Almost all think that Snoop's version sounds better.

U need to meet more folks.

15 years is 1995 - ELEVEN fuckin' years after that routine, not record son.

• Snoops version is pure filler.