MLB 2010 THREAD

Comments

• All of this talk of Yankee fans leaving early makes me think of the newfound bipolar attitude of fans lately in professional sports. If your team is down you hate them, if your team is winning you sit back and say "this is the way we are suppose to play". It is the normal response from fairweather fans but really where is the love for a team through thick and thin from the diehard fans????

• Dudes, I am saying: forget the WS. Regular joes in this town cannot afford a Tuesday afternoon game in August.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Dudes, I am saying: forget the WS. Regular joes in this town cannot afford a Tuesday afternoon game in August.

As someone who does not watch baseball and has casually observed the playoffs this year, NY should be ashamed of themselves. Sparsley populated seats behind home plate... and what people were there looked like bored Wall Street and Lawyer types. Atleast with Philly you get the impression that these are diehard baseball fans... not corporate shmoozers.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    saw OAK at the Stadium a month ago, $35 bleacher seats, $11 guinnesses
    saw NYY at Oakland Coliseum earlier this spring, $26 (top pricing tier) in front of 1st base, $6 IPA microbrews

RAJ said:
    and what people were there looked like bored Wall Street and Lawyer types.

it's all corporate entertaining, certainly was last year.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Dudes, I am saying: forget the WS. Regular joes in this town cannot afford a Tuesday afternoon game in August.

If your team has amongst the highest payrolls and remains competitve can you really complain about not affording to go to the games?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    maocontent said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

If your team has amongst the highest payrolls and remains competitve can you really complain about not affording to go to the games?

Yes. As a Red Sox fan, it is my god-given right to bitch about ticket prices.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    All of this talk of Yankee fans leaving early makes me think of the newfound bipolar attitude of fans lately in professional sports. If your team is down you hate them, if your team is winning you sit back and say "this is the way we are suppose to play". It is the normal response from fairweather fans but really where is the love for a team through thick and thin from the diehard fans????

Is this attitude the same for smaller markets or less successful franchises?

Are Atlanta Braves fans (diehards & corporate) fickle?

• Three years ago when winter came early to the Midwest, the Cleveland Indians home opener was snowed out and was re-scheduled to be played in Milwaukee at the new retractable Miller Field. They sold limited tickets, all seats were $10 and all were really good. So I went with a friend to see an American League home opener in a National League ballpark, filled with Brewers, Cubs and Sox fans. It was Indians-Angels and I was about five feet from Vlad Guerrero. The Indians brought their entire media package and did their thing like we were at Jacob's Field. Pretty bizarre day. Straight blizzard on the drive up from Chicago, but the $5 pints of New Glarus at the park made up for that. The beer selection and prices at Miller Field were really exceptional that day. I wish every sporting event was as mellow as that one game.

• maocontent said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

What kind of a question is this? As fans do we care that we get priced out of the stadium? Hell fucking yes. Did we want a new stadium? I sure didn't. In regards to the payroll, most of that is paid by YES network's revenue. But yeah, the Yankee brass has been all about the money for a long time, so they get the coporate box seat money and shitty fans as a result, what's new?

batmon said:

i won't accuse Braves fans of being fickle but you could buy $12 nosebleeds at Turner for the NLDS on the day of. not even sure they sold out their postseason games. Rays fans.. it took free tickets to the home season finale to fill the place.

• batmon said:
    InnerSpace said:
    All of this talk of Yankee fans leaving early makes me think of the newfound bipolar attitude of fans lately in professional sports. If your team is down you hate them, if your team is winning you sit back and say "this is the way we are suppose to play". It is the normal response from fairweather fans but really where is the love for a team through thick and thin from the diehard fans????

Is this attitude the same for smaller markets or less successful franchises?

I would say this is a general attitude of people that heartily believe they have a "RIGHT" to be a winner along side their teams. If not they hate them. Which is an absurd way to be a fan. You only love a team if it fits into your perfect script that you wrote for them?? Ridiculous. Real fans stick it out with their teams no matter what. Chicago is a great example of how fans should be (generally). The Bears and Cubs are a couple of the most notorious teams to lose out consistently, but their fans are some of the most loyal.

Yankee fans just don't know how to lose which everyone should have learned when they were 5 years old. "Don't be a sore loser". Losing is inevitable especially in the ups and downs of baseball no matter how much money you throw at it.

• Who exactly is being a sore loser here?

• Garcia_Vega said:
    Who exactly is being a sore loser here?

The Yankee fans... was that not clear with them walking out early two games in a row?

• InnerSpace said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

The Yankee fans... was that not clear with them walking out early two games in a row?

I wouldn't call those people real fans. If your point is that the Yankees have more fair weather fans than most, then maybe you have a point, but I'd say its pretty much like that for every team. How many poeple in Texas are riding hard for the Rangers right now, but weren't when they sucked? The people you see walking out these last two nights are not true die hard Yankee fans, just like the guys who bought their first Texas jersey after game 3 are not true Rangers.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Great moments in baseball fandom: Game 4, 1998 World Series. After being swept by one of the best Yankees teams of the last several decades, a completely packed Qualcomm stadium gave their losing Padres an extended standing ovation in appreciation of their remarkable season.

InnerSpace said:

you're deluded if you think the hedge fund managers and lawyers schmoozing clients are real fans. for many it was likely their first game this season.

• Options
    dollar_bin said:
    Great moments in baseball fandom: Game 4, 1998 World Series. After being swept by one of the best Yankees teams of the last several decades, a completely packed Qualcomm stadium gave their losing Padres an extended standing ovation in appreciation of their remarkable season.

Yes. And Yankee fans don't have that sort of thing in them.

• Options
    selperfuge said:
    InnerSpace said:

you're deluded if you think the hedge fund managers and lawyers schmoozing clients are real fans. for many it was likely their first game this season.

It wasn't just the seats behind the plate and along the infield that were empty. It was also the bleachers. By the end of the game I think there were 6 Yankee fans left in the whole place, and they were all passed out drunk.

• Garcia_Vega said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

I wouldn't call those people real fans. If your point is that the Yankees have more fair weather fans than most, then maybe you have a point, but I'd say its pretty much like that for every team. How many poeple in Texas are riding hard for the Rangers right now, but weren't when they sucked? The people you see walking out these last two nights are not true die hard Yankee fans, just like the guys who bought their first Texas jersey after game 3 are not true Rangers.

Definitely the Rangers have some coat-tail riders for sure. I agree with your entire statement. Just would love to see more people change their attitudes when it comes to the teams they are suppose to be going for.

I have been a Rangers fan for years and I can't say that I have never been disappointed in their loses but I watched and cheered them on because I am a fan. When they suck, you cheer them on to get better. When they win, you cheer and are excited. Out of the 162 regular season games that the Rangers fans played this year, I watched around 150 of them and went to several. Same as I did last year. Good rule of thumb is to rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. It never says to desert them.

• selperfuge said:
    InnerSpace said:

I don't know if they are real fans. Never said that and can't say one way or the other.

• BobDesperado said:
    dollar_bin said:

Yes. And Yankee fans don't have that sort of thing in them.

MoeLarryandJesus, you troll, fuck off.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    Chicago is a great example of how fans should be (generally). The Bears and Cubs are a couple of the most notorious teams to lose out consistently, but their fans are some of the most loyal.

Well, to an extent. Cubs were terrible for much of this year but during the last weeks of the season, when the team actually had one of the best records in the majors, a lot of the fans had already tuned out -- as evident by the backlash from fans when the team announced their intermin manager was now just manager. Why? Because he did a great job when he led the team, however, many fans failed to notice this and wanted the team to hire Ryan Sandberg, legend as a player, relatively inexperienced as a manager.

I love going to games in the fall, even when teams are out in contention. It's cool and not quite as crowded, and a lot of the people at the games are there because they love it.

InnerSpace said:
    selperfuge said:
    InnerSpace said:

I don't know if they are real fans. Never said that and can't say one way or the other.

Over the years the complexion of Yankee stadium goers has changed.
    Using last nights shit as an example to lump ALL Yankee fans into one bucket is shortsided. The dudes who sat thru the Don Mattiingly years have been priced out.
    It sounds like your a Yankee hatter that feels good to shit on The Evil Empire when they overcharge for peanuts. It's way too obvious.

• white_tea said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Chicago is a great example of how fans should be (generally). The Bears and Cubs are a couple of the most notorious teams to lose out consistently, but their fans are some of the most loyal.

Well, to an extent. Cubs were terrible for much of this year but during the last weeks of the season, when the team actually had one of the best records in the majors, a lot of the fans had already tuned out -- as evident by the backlash from fans when the team announced their intermin manager was now just manager. Why? Because he did a great job when he led the team, however, many fans failed to notice this and wanted the team to hire Ryan Sandberg, legend as a player, relatively inexperienced as a manager.

I love going to games in the fall, even when teams are out in contention. It's cool and not quite as crowded, and a lot of the people at the games are there because they love it.

I can see that. I guess that is why I said "generally". It amazes me that these teams and others like them still have hardcore fans and a lot of them. Championships seem to elude them yet they still hang on to hope.

I agree with going to the fall games no matter if your team is in the race or not. Baseball is baseball. Gotta love it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Baseball is the best.

• batmon said:
    InnerSpace said:
    selperfuge said:
    InnerSpace said:

Over the years the complexion of Yankee stadium goers has changed.
    Using last nights shit as an example to lump ALL Yankee fans into one bucket is shortsided. The dudes who sat thru the Don Mattiingly years have been priced out.
    It sounds like your a Yankee hatter that feels good to shit on The Evil Empire when they overcharge for peanuts. It's way too obvious.

I feel that. I'm not trying to lump it all into last night's game. I am using last night as an example of what is wrong with some fans in all sports. And by the way, I'm not a Yankee hater. I was glad they won the WS last year against the Phillies. The Rangers are at the top of my favs though.

Cool.

Baseball is the BAST!

• batmon said:
    Cool.

Baseball is the BAST!

Three cheers for Baseball! (glasses full of pumpkin ale clanking)

• Garcia_Vega said:
    maocontent said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

What kind of a question is this? As fans do we care that we get priced out of the stadium? Hell fucking yes. Did we want a new stadium? I sure didn't. In regards to the payroll, most of that is paid by YES network's revenue. But yeah, the Yankee brass has been all about the money for a long time, so they get the coporate box seat money and shitty fans as a result, what's new?

I'm saying if it's the same Yankee brass (or Red Sox brass or whatever team) that's all about the money but still putting a good product on the field for its fans it's an easier pill to swallow than, say, Pittsburgh - where I'm assuming you can go to any games you want but the team has stunk forever & mgmt is fine w/ it as long as the bottom line is str8. It's the same Yankee brass that's cut throat about making $ that's also cut throat about going after the best players.

• when your team is sucking, like my phils,sixers and eagles often are, real fans just flip into arm chair general manager mode...you pontificate endlessly on who to keep, who to ship off, who to draft and who to pin the hopes of the franchise on. the nba draft used to be the highlight of my basketball watching season. corny to always root for a winner, you grow more as a fan by mock managing through the shit years