Diplo - Blackberry Commercial

Comments

• cove said:
    Herm said:
    cove said:
    I'm amused that it's always thrown around. No matter if people care for whatever he does, just GET THAT MONEY.
    LINE THOSE WALLETS. LEAST HE'S MAKING GREEN. ETC.

I think it's more like MAKE THAT LIVING DOING WHAT YOU LOVE, GOD KNOWS I WISH I COULD, ETC.

IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO A BLACKBERRY COMMERCIAL

get that money

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Blackberry, it's what makes sticker bushes worthwhile AND it's great in a cobbler or as Smucker's seedless jam or crushed into a Mojito. Oh yeah, I deejay from time to time.

Now, PAY ME!

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    "Needles? Who uses needles? Why would I have those?"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    cove said:
    I'm amused that it's always thrown around. No matter if people care for whatever he does, just GET THAT MONEY.
    LINE THOSE WALLETS. LEAST HE'S MAKING GREEN. ETC.

everyone knows that $$$ > everything else

GET THAT MONEY GOLDMAN SACHS, GET THAT MONEY BP etc etc

Yeah, because of course that's exactly what I meant, isn't it? You guys are reading way too much into it.

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with someone being able to get paid off music, no matter who they are and regardless of whether or not I care for what they do. I have friends whose shit I'm not crazy about, but I'm still happy to support them and I'm glad to see them doing well. Moreover, I have first-hand experience of just how scarce the opportunities are becoming to make a living from music nowadays, and they were never exactly plentiful to begin with. So, yeah - get that money. It might not be there next year.

If Diplo wants to take a big endorsement cheque from Blackberry, or even if he's decided to go for the brass ring and become the Fatboy Slim of the Mom Jeans generation, good luck to him. I'm not a fan of everything he does, but what does that matter? The sole reason I thought it noteworthy to begin with was because of his former connection with this place. Coincidentally, it must have been around the time he stopped posting here that he began making the moves that eventually got him to where he is now, so maybe there's a lesson in that somewhere.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    [ the Fatboy Slim of the Mom Jeans generation

Location up for grabs!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Coincidentally, it must have been around the time he stopped posting here that he began making the moves that eventually got him to where he is now, so maybe there's a lesson in that somewhere.

Yes there is. So all you dudes talking your sh*t, please take some time off to make your power moves. Don't worry, Doc and I will be here to defend you from negative nancies when you hit the big time!

• HarveyCanal said:

The dude who works as a crossing guard at the elementary school down the street from my house, he loves what he does. He's helping kids get to school safely and he's always smiling and waving to drivers passing by through the school zone. Make a commercial about him.

What a perfect sales pitch for the makers of blackberry, a business associated pda, who are attempting to tap into the consumer/cool market that is dominated by apple/iphone.

"No, not the cool dj/producer guy, let's go with the elementary school crossing guard. He really loves what he does."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A few years ago, one of the local news programs had a series in which they would pick a random name from the phone book and ask to go and interview them. It was fascinating and then they killed it.

keithvanhorn said:
    HarveyCanal said:

The dude who works as a crossing guard at the elementary school down the street from my house, he loves what he does. He's helping kids get to school safely and he's always smiling and waving to drivers passing by through the school zone. Make a commercial about him.

What a perfect sales pitch for the makers of blackberry, a business associated pda, who are attempting to tap into the consumer/cool market that is dominated by apple/iphone.

"No, not the cool dj/producer guy, let's go with the elementary school crossing guard. He really loves what he does."

Crossing guard dude is exponentially cooler than Diplo. Film him and you will get useful fun in action. Film Diplo and you get a dude screaming look at me and how cool I am by explicitly associating myself with other people who look much cooler than me. Again, not to rip into Diplo...someone's gotta be the a&r for watered down dancehall crossed with tenderberry bass. But the commercial itself exudes cool about as much as a dude holding up traffic at a green light because he's not done texting his boyfriend his favorite smoothie ingredients.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Harvey, you sound so old right now (not target market related)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    bassie said:
    A few years ago, one of the local news programs had a series in which they would pick a random name from the phone book and ask to go and interview them. It was fascinating and then they killed it.

I would watch this.....5 minutes of fame whether you want it or not.

jdeez said:
    Harvey, you sound so old right now.

Also been keeping myself busy today making fun of Drake and fans of Curren$y on the Screwshop boards.

b/w

I am so old right now.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    bassie said:

I would watch this.....5 minutes of fame whether you want it or not.

Well, they had to want it to agree to do it. Nevermind the fame, but to hear your fellow citizens' personal stories...I got to hear about how two people met and married, about living through war and how happy they were to be in Canada and someone's grandpa rambling at his kitchen table. These little things do wonders for civic pride and unity.

I am getting off-topic - goooooooooooooo mash-ups and gadgets!

• I see no reason to hate on him for this. You'd be a fool to turn down a paycheck like that, especially when you work in a terribly fickle business that's built on a totally shaky foundation. There is no harm in this ad. He's not pushing a terrible product. It's not a very good ad, but I think the only smart thing to do would be to take the gig. It's only going to run for like a week and they'll scrap it and then it will be forgotten and he'll have more money for his future.

• I want some of that Diplo $$$$ hells yeah!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jesus christ, THIS thread...

• Everyone compromises their values to a degree to make a living. I don't see how this is any different.

Honestly I'm surprised the term sell out is even used anymore with the current state of the music industry.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I just watched this commercial and I want to know: is this what dude's music actually sounds like?

Could be the soundtrack for a South American Gillette commercial

Very Night at the Roxy

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Well he did just do a track with tiesto

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Hey Wes, how about AEIOU 3... please?!?!?

• I read this whole thread before i watched the ad. Its really not that bad an ad. Good on him.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    He's just a fuckin dude that made good. Let him live.

• therecordpeddler said:

Honestly I'm surprised the term sell out is even used anymore with the current state of the music industry.

Uhh, you're surprised? The thing about integrity is that it's not supposed to be affected by the whims of the external world. "Gee, it's raining today, I might as well throw all my principles by the wayside."

(Not talking about Diplo here, as I have no idea about the things he stands for (if there are any in the first place).)

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Crossing guard dude is exponentially cooler than Diplo. Film him and you will get useful fun in action.

• Raystar said:
    Hey Wes, how about AEIOU 3... please?!?!?

Tony boner record cover photo caption contest...GO!

and @ this thread ..oy vey duttyness

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Raystar said:

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    Raystar said:

THREAD REDEEMED

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    Well he did just do a track with tiesto

I kinda like that Tiesto track... *kills self*

• Possum Tom said:
    AKallDay said:
    Raystar said:

THREAD REDEEMED

TOOOOO GOOD!!!!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Jesus christ, THIS thread...