Diplo - Blackberry Commercial

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,754 Posts
edited October 2010 in Soul Strut
Damn... dude is getting pretty large?



«1345

  Comments


  • I miss Olden Style Hats.

  • jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I heard dude is starring in the Bobby Caldwell biopic, Clouds.

  • RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,754 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    I miss Olden Style Hats.

    It looks like he's a techno star now or something? Music Innovator?

  • marumaru 1,450 Posts
    damn. good for him

  • I am more proud of the work I did in 5th grade when I used to deliver papers in my neighborhood than I am for the scene this dude got.
    He's right to say it's crazy that people pay him to go around the world bringin laptop to the people.

    Still, he's getting crazy paid so that's good for him.

  • djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    sliding the fader with his phone....really?

  • DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,921 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Damn... dude is getting pretty large?


    Yeah, I saw this the other night and meant to post about it.

    Not to dis or anything, but I had to explain to my girl who Diplo was after she heard me say, "Oh, wow, Diplo's in the new Blackberry commercial"; something I didn't have to do for previous Blackberry campaigns featuring U2 or will.i.am, or for the Hewlett-Packard campaigns that featured Jay-Z and Pharrell.

    "He's a DJ and a record producer. He used to post on SoulStrut years ago"
    "Mm-hmm"
    "He went out with M.I.A. for a while, too"
    "Who?"
    "The girl who did that Paper Planes song"
    "I've no idea what you're talking about. What Paper Planes song?"
    "Never mind"

    Diplo is, amongst other things, one of those dudes well-known to tech types, music supes, ad agencies and similar sorts, so it makes sense that such a leading-edge creative type (which I think it's fair to say he is) would be called upon to endorse Blackberry. But it's interesting that this campaign has moved away from capital-C celebrity endorsement towards celebrity endorsement of another kind.

    BTW, I haven't read the comments on that YouTube clip, but I'll bet a pound to a pinch of shit that the term "sellout" is in full E.F.F.E.C.T. To which I can only say, fuck that noise. I for one am happy to see a one-time contributor to this board (and to the now-defunct Crates List) doing big things. Get that money.

  • Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

    I for one am happy to see a one-time contributor to this board (and to the now-defunct Crates List) doing big things.

    Make that two. Someday I'll pass down my "Cramp Your Style" 45 with "Diplo once owned this" written on the sleeve to my children. (Joe Pass' Guitar Interludes trade-related)

  • TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    there's also a 10 minute version:


  • Good for Diplo....I just wish he would do another release in the style of "Florida", but I have a feeling thats far behind him now..

  • Deegreez said:
    I am more proud of the work I did in 5th grade when I used to deliver papers in my neighborhood than I am for the scene this dude got.
    He's right to say it's crazy that people pay him to go around the world bringin laptop to the people.

    Still, he's getting crazy paid so that's good for him.

    He's also a grammy nominated (co)producer (paper planes) and co-produced one of the biggest dance hits last year (Pon de Floor).

    Sayin, might not be your cup of tea, but he's not just some dude dickin around with a laptop.

  • meistromoco said:
    Deegreez said:
    I am more proud of the work I did in 5th grade when I used to deliver papers in my neighborhood than I am for the scene this dude got.
    He's right to say it's crazy that people pay him to go around the world bringin laptop to the people.

    Still, he's getting crazy paid so that's good for him.

    He's also a grammy nominated (co)producer (paper planes) and co-produced one of the biggest dance hits last year (Pon de Floor).

    Sayin, might not be your cup of tea, but he's not just some dude dickin around with a laptop.

    welcome to the 'soulstrut real world move' paradox.

  • Congrats to Diplo. Only surprising thing to me as that they shout out his Twitter, where he is constantly saying the type of things that lose people sponsorship deals all the time.

  • 10000000 points to whoever can post the old Terry Callier Roy Ayers cartoon.

  • faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    LOL @ "leading edge creative type"

    The Bill Laswell of our generation

  • RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,754 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    10000000 points to whoever can post the old Terry Callier Roy Ayers cartoon.

    SS Hall of Fame

    Attached files

  • DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,921 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    LOL @ "leading edge creative type"

    The Bill Laswell of our generation

    Well, y'know, in that world.

    Dude is undoubtedly making moves however you choose to slice it.

  • DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,921 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    10000000 points to whoever can post the old Terry Callier Roy Ayers cartoon.

    SS Hall of Fame


    Now what we need is for someone to shop it onto the screen of Diplo's Blackberry in that ad.

  • covecove 1,566 Posts
    You guys and your "get that money" are funny.

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Okay, so dude loves what he does...but that commercial hardly gives any indication of what it is that dude actually does. To the average person, it makes him come off as mad pretentious. And I'm not even trying to bag on Diplo here...but I don't think many people watching tv appreciate someone flaunting how great they have it when it's being presented as nothing more than a move of a cursor across a screen.

    The dude who works as a crossing guard at the elementary school down the street from my house, he loves what he does. He's helping kids get to school safely and he's always smiling and waving to drivers passing by through the school zone. Make a commercial about him.

  • DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,921 Posts
    cove said:
    You guys and your "get that money" are funny.

    How so?

  • covecove 1,566 Posts
    I'm amused that it's always thrown around. No matter if people care for whatever he does, just GET THAT MONEY.
    LINE THOSE WALLETS. LEAST HE'S MAKING GREEN. ETC.

  • Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    cove said:
    I'm amused that it's always thrown around. No matter if people care for whatever he does, just GET THAT MONEY.
    LINE THOSE WALLETS. LEAST HE'S MAKING GREEN. ETC.

    I think it's more like MAKE THAT LIVING DOING WHAT YOU LOVE, GOD KNOWS I WISH I COULD, ETC.

  • SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    cove said:
    I'm amused that it's always thrown around. No matter if people care for whatever he does, just GET THAT MONEY.
    LINE THOSE WALLETS. LEAST HE'S MAKING GREEN. ETC.

    everyone knows that $$$ > everything else

    GET THAT MONEY GOLDMAN SACHS, GET THAT MONEY BP etc etc

  • "songs mean a lot when songs are bought.... and so do you"

  • SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    "songs mean a lot when songs are bought.... and so do you"

    ^^^^^ INDIE ROCKERS REVEALED ^^^^^

  • the funny thing about that lyric is that they ended up selling that particular song a number of times:

    "Cut Your Hair" was often played during the commercial blocks of ECW Hardcore TV in 1996.

    "Cut Your Hair" was featured on the soundtrack to Jackass: Number Two and A Very Brady Sequel.

    "Cut Your Hair" is available as a downloadable track for Guitar Hero 5.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am not a Diplo fan - did he ever come out against making money or commercial success? The fact that he started small and indie and made it big, make that huge, is hardly a sell-out. Unless he has sacrificed the values, etc. that he built his career on, gained his fans through and wove into his steps up, then what he is more than anything is successful at what he does.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:


    The dude who works as a crossing guard at the elementary school down the street from my house, he loves what he does. He's helping kids get to school safely and he's always smiling and waving to drivers passing by through the school zone. Make a commercial about him.

    Absolutely, but this is a problem bigger than Diplo and older than Blackberry.

  • covecove 1,566 Posts
    Herm said:
    cove said:
    I'm amused that it's always thrown around. No matter if people care for whatever he does, just GET THAT MONEY.
    LINE THOSE WALLETS. LEAST HE'S MAKING GREEN. ETC.

    I think it's more like MAKE THAT LIVING DOING WHAT YOU LOVE, GOD KNOWS I WISH I COULD, ETC.

    IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO A BLACKBERRY COMMERCIAL
Sign In or Register to comment.