Worst year EVER (in Hip-Hop)

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
99/00 was awful IMO, but 2010 is sure giving it a run for it's money. What do yall think?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The worst year in hip hop will be the year not one rap record comes out.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    bassie said:

Safe answer.

So, you agree. It is 2010.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    RAP MUSIC IS ALIVE AND WELL: WAKAVELI, EARL SWEATSHIRT, AND OLD PEOPLE COMPLAINING.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    2000-2009

2010 right behind

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Breez said:
    bassie said:

Safe answer.

Actually, looking backwards and avoiding the new is what is safe.

No, I don't agree at all.
    I love rap from every year.
    I think the whole lamenting the golden era/talking about how rap post-19?? sucks is sorry and tired.

I don't belong in this thread.

• the very first year hip hop came out, hardly any releases out there. Terrible year.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

I think the whole lamenting the golden era/talking about how rap post-19?? sucks is sorry and tired.

i agree, there is still great hip hop music out there, you just have to look harder. A lot of the acts we all liked in 1990 haven't aged well. Stop looking for something different in the same old places and you might be surprised at what has been released lately. also there is is quite a bit of cool stuff coming out of japan at the moment, guys like Mitsu, Grooveman and so on

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The year DJ Screw passed on.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    the very first year hip hop came out, hardly any releases out there. Terrible year.

1981 was pretty light on quality content too. And 1983, I think. Maybe it's just my personal tastes, though.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    there is still great hip hop music out there, you just have to look harder.

I agree.

bw

Dj Screw is a regional footnote.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    staxwax said:

this is just absurd and i am by no means a southern rap fanatic but please be serious

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    staxwax said:
    there is still great hip hop music out there, you just have to look harder.

I agree.

bw

Dude, you posted a fucking High and Mighty song to express how you felt at the direction hip hop was going in in the late 90's, please stop posting. High and Mighty will never be fortunate enough to be considered a footnote for anything, ever. Dj Screw is an innovator in ways you can't wrap your mind around, stick to your mid-90's filtered basslines and jack bruce horn chops.

peace,xavier

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    where I live is High & Mighty definetly more popular than DJ Skrew. But anyway , I`m from Europe and am therefore not allowed to speak on rap topics.

• The Self-Actualized Euroman!

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    I had to laugh at that one, too

b/w

I still ride for filtered basslines

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    bassie said:
    Breez said:
    bassie said:

Safe answer.

It ain't always about the "golden era". It's about good music. All these Soulja Boy's, Wacka Flaka's and all that is just very bad music. I can respect your statement thought. See ya in the next Soulja Boy thread.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Breez said:
    All these Soulja Boy's, Wacka Flaka's and all that is just very bad music. I can respect your statement thought. See ya in the next Soulja Boy thread.

Waka Flocka just put out one of the year's best albums and, certainly, one of the most uncompromising major label records in years.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Breez said:
    All these Soulja Boy's, Wacka Flaka's and all that is just very bad music. I can respect your statement thought. See ya in the next Soulja Boy thread.

Waka Flocka just put out one of the year's best albums and, certainly, one of the most uncompromising major label records in years.

If he has one of the best albums right now I think that proves my point about 2010.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The year before the year not one rap record comes out. The year not one rap record comes out won't be a rap year.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Seeing this thread I immediately got this feeling that this was the logical end point for Breez and staxwax to get to. The more I see and read the more I get the feeling that to some people hip hop = jazzy breaks rather than the wider picture of lyrics and/or music that moves you. It's the only rational I can personally come to over people who proclaim to be fans of rap music and yet base their entire criteria on a small period of the genre's history despite the fact that this year alone we've had an unbelievable mixture of both talented lyricists and producers enter the scene.

Enjoy your nostalgic trip guys, holler if you ever want to move on as it's late in euroman timezone and I feel like we've been here 30 odd times in the last few months....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Breez said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Breez said:

If he has one of the best albums right now I think that proves my point about 2010.

Your point w/r/t Flocka was that it's "just very bad music"

I agree that it's been a bad year for rap albums, if you define albums as official releases available in physical format. But that doesn't mean it's been a bad year for rap.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread is one big troll move.

Don't take the bait.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I feel where all you guys are coming from, don't get me wrong. I just think, now this is just my opinion, that it hasn't been any stand-out artists lately. It's no doubt that Wacka Flocka had a good year and one of the better albums but is that because of the lack of competition? When I say "worst year" I mean no new artists' dropped that really made an impact on a lyrical or just plain musical level. And, the "golden era" gets mentioned so much because look at all the artists that were introduced during that period. It's not about "jazz samples" vs. original beats either. Most of the new artist don't have any mass appeal. If you're not from their region, 9 times out of 10, you're not gonna relate to them or even understand what they're saying, for that matter. I love to see & hear Hip-Hop move forward and break down boundaries but sometimes you have step back and really wonder, WHAT THE F**K WERE THEY THINKING??!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Breez said:
    99/00 was awful IMO, but 2010 is sure giving it a run for it's money. What do yall think?

Yes, 2010 has been terrible as far as rap music goes. Example number 1 is below. WHAT the hell is this? This record is on Island/Def Jam. Extra extra terrible.............

Waka Flacka ?

U riding? Thats hysterical.

A minute ago people on here were still riding for nicky minaj.

smmfh

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    staxwax said:

A minute ago people on here were still riding for nicky minaj.

smmfh

This is just awful pop music from 2010. This has nothing to do with rap music.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Thank you Chan. Perfect example. WHAT - THE - F**K??!!

He sampled The Boggles??!! No comment.

I do fucks with Nicky thought. Oh, and she can rhyme aiight too.

Dj Screw is an innovator in ways you can???t wrap your mind around