Worst year EVER (in Hip-Hop)

Comments

• willie_fugal said:
    hertzhog said:

I don't really feel one way or the other about the song, but having those kids count money in the video is some nasty ass shit. Only in America.

^^^^
    DELUSIONAL EUROPEAN STALE SEMMEL CRUST

EATS FRENCH TOAST WHILE LISTENING TO "I LOVE THE DOUGH."

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    sad to see so much hatt on screw, but not surprised. hell im european (sweden) and pretty much everything i listen to i southern hiphop. like izm i think most people are atleast 5 years behind around these parts, and southern hiphop doesnt really exist to most people here in sweden.

what do u hatteurs say about this one?

if anyone here participated in the waxidermy swap i did a screw-mixtape called 'hypnoscope reruns'.with kraut, prog, library, italo, and all kinds of shit. inspired by dj screws more soul oriented ones, but i wanted to do a more instrumental take.

• i don't think its been necessarily the worst year but i agree its getting harder to sift the wheat from the chaff because there is so much chaff about, we're talking hundreds of thousands more tracks than once were available, hence why it once felt like the quality was so high, well there was no way to hear everything that was out there in a pre internet era. so now we finally get to see hip hop as it probably always was, all types of regional variation and home made spins on the same dish, and thus harder to acheive consensus over what the dopest is, there is something for everyone out there. the consensus will never come.

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    i don't think its been necessarily the worst year but i agree its getting harder to sift the wheat from the chaff because there is so much chaff about, we're talking hundreds of thousands more tracks than once were available, hence why it once felt like the quality was so high, well there was no way to hear everything that was out there in a pre internet era. so now we finally get to see hip hop as it probably always was, all types of regional variation and home made spins on the same dish, and thus harder to acheive consensus over what the dopest is, there is something for everyone out there. the consensus will never come.

Real talk

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    BigK said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    i don't think its been necessarily the worst year but i agree its getting harder to sift the wheat from the chaff because there is so much chaff about, we're talking hundreds of thousands more tracks than once were available, hence why it once felt like the quality was so high, well there was no way to hear everything that was out there in a pre internet era. so now we finally get to see hip hop as it probably always was, all types of regional variation and home made spins on the same dish, and thus harder to acheive consensus over what the dopest is, there is something for everyone out there. the consensus will never come.

Real talk

This pretty much sums up this whole thread. Hip-hop is bigger than ever and has something for all tastes. That is a great thing. I will never just flat out slam Hip-Hop for the hell of it but I will defend my opinion when ever the time calls for it. I admit, I don't like all of it but on any day I'd rather have mediocre Hip-Hop than no Hip-Hop.

• re the jazz loop debacle, i don't think theres anything wrong with saying the aesthetic of early hip hop appeals more to you than some of the sounds we hear today. if anything i think its a shame that loop based stuff gets knocked for being retro, theres still more mileage in chopping up records than has really been explored. why do we hear it less and less, well for legal reasons, not sonic ones. if you could still jack big samples in records and get away with it everyone would still be doing it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    D.E.L.E.T.E. M.E.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

true

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    re the jazz loop debacle, i don't think theres anything wrong with saying the aesthetic of early hip hop appeals more to you than some of the sounds we hear today. if anything i think its a shame that loop based stuff gets knocked for being retro, theres still more mileage in chopping up records than has really been explored. why do we hear it less and less, well for legal reasons, not sonic ones. if you could still jack big samples in records and get away with it everyone would still be doing it.

cosign

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You only confirm how much you aren't listening when you purport that noone uses samples anymore.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    re the jazz loop debacle, i don't think theres anything wrong with saying the aesthetic of early hip hop appeals more to you than some of the sounds we hear today. if anything i think its a shame that loop based stuff gets knocked for being retro, theres still more mileage in chopping up records than has really been explored. why do we hear it less and less, well for legal reasons, not sonic ones. if you could still jack big samples in records and get away with it everyone would still be doing it.

Yep.

That Waka Flocka album really surprised me, incidentally. Pretty raw. I have to confess I haven't paid too much attention to him, but I'd suggest that any current mainstream rap release which features a 20 minute long opening cut is probably trying to set trends rather than follow them.

HarveyCanal said:
    You only confirm how much you aren't listening when you purport that noone uses samples anymore.

Except that he didn't actually say that; only that you hear it less and less, which you do.

DocMcCoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Except that he didn't actually say that; only that you hear it less and less, which you do.

Less than when...over 15 years ago?

Get over it already, folks. Looping samples has NEVER been the only way to produce rap music.

Go back in time and diss Afrika Bambaataa and then let us know how that turns out.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

There is nothing 'wrong' with it, that's what we're on this Board to do - talk music (+ + +) but the brushstroke dismissal and pissy, smug delivery of that opinion is what I can't stand. We have had some terrific music threads on this Board, so I know it's possible to talk like adults.

I don't know if I agree that "everyone would still be doing it", I think the synth/programming progression would have still happened and happened large. I agree, the legal reasons have made it more difficult (edit- not that everyone was doing it in the first place), but I am with Harvey - sampled-based songs are not all but gone like you and others might think. Along with the synth-heavy Gucci, Yo Gotti and Jeezy (who actually uses samples) tapes that I love, there are (edit-new) 50, Cam'ron, Scarface sample-heavy albums that I play the shit out of, too.

• Re: dissing Bambaataa...That's kind of willfully misconstruing things - "Planet Rock" wouldn't even be released in 2010 because of the Kraftwerk rip.

fwiw my least favorite years in rap *records* are the early 80s. There are some standout ones for sure but IMO the real action was not happening on vinyl, yet.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    That's kind of willfully misconstruing things - "Planet Rock" wouldn't even be released in 2010 because of the Kraftwerk rip.

Looking for a Perfect Beat then.

I've always loved the electro rap era. And I've never viewed its conventions as any less hip-hop than those of the Golden Age.

Point being, sampling and not-sampling should be able to co-exist without any of these one's far superior to the other contentions pestering the landscape.

HarveyCanal said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Get over it already, folks. Looping samples has NEVER been the only way to produce rap music.

Go back in time and diss Afrika Bambaataa and then let us know how that turns out.

Dude, what the fuck are you talking about? The guy was simply postulating that the reason people may not use samples as much as in Bambaataa's day may be for financial/legal reasons rather than artistic ones. And you know what? He has a point, as I've learned from direct experience.

Of course, they never had SPs or MPCs when Bambaataa was at his peak, so your 'go back in time' remark is completely irrelevant. But then, you've never let things like making sense or following logical thought patterns interfere with your activities on here, so why bother starting now, huh?

• I agree with you on that Harv, but I think the knee jerk reaction on here against sample based hip hop always causes the other side to get defensive.

People like what they like and make what they make and that's that. I personally hate electro and electro rap because when I was growing up in la and kday was playing that stuff dudes were rocking lipstick and lace (Dre) when I first heard Run DMC I immediately associated with them because they rapped and dressed like all the the kids at my park rec - electro dudes simply did not, they were on some red onion shit. So I always had an aversion to that sound and style, but I realize its personal preference, I don't like rap that bigs up drug dealing as I have had family members addicted to drugs. Personal preference. As such I much more enjoyed listening to NYC Rap growing up and naturally gravitated towards that sound. Hearing samples I recognized from my dad's 8 tracks (I'll take you there BDK) comes to mind.
    That's my story and I like sample based rap and continue to make it with no apologies.

I'd like some insight as to why people gravitate and or hate on one side or the other based on personal stories and context.

Espeially curious as to why euroman would hate or defend DJ screw.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I think as the computer based production became accessible (& affordable) these younger artists did what young artists do, they worked with what they got and ran with it. It seems that vinyl or sample based Hip-Hop just got lost in the shuffle. If these kids are getting these programs like Fruity Loops, Reason, Acid, etc., for next to nothing the last thing they are thinking about is blowing big doe on records. They're gonna use what they got to do what they want. I remember being a shorty with a casio keyboard and a Roland drum machine and doing 20 beats a day, using the same sounds over & over, and being completely satisfied and proud of every last beat I did. Sample based Hip-Hop is no dead it, it's just not heavily on the radio now. But, like alot of you have said, "it's out there, you just gotta know where to look for it". All it's gonna take is one big record to make the public check for it again. Remember, before The Blueprint a lot of people traded in their samplers for keyboards and The Blueprint made everyone dust off their SP's, ASR's, MPC's and start digging again.

• DocMcCoy said:

That Waka Flocka album really surprised me, incidentally. Pretty raw. I have to confess I haven't paid too much attention to him, but I'd suggest that any current mainstream rap release which features a 20 minute long opening cut is probably trying to set trends rather than follow them.

??? The first track on Flockaveli is four minutes.

DocMcCoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Dude, what the fuck are you talking about? The guy was simply postulating that the reason people may not use samples as much as in Bambaataa's day may be for financial/legal reasons rather than artistic ones. And you know what? He has a point, as I've learned from direct experience.

Of course, they never had SPs or MPCs when Bambaataa was at his peak, so your 'go back in time' remark is completely irrelevant. But then, you've never let things like making sense or following logical thought patterns interfere with your activities on here, so why bother starting now, huh?

You sound stuck in some now-non-existent model of rap album rockism. Mixtapes are more prevalent nowadays and in 90% of the case, they are mad illegal...whether that be because entire beats are being jacked and rapped over without permission, or because samples in original beats aren't being properly cleared.

Dudes around the way...which is where the best music is being made today anyway, outside of the industry... aren't so concerned about clearing samples nowadays, as it's likley that their albums will never offically come out anyway. Big Krit's mixtape is full of samples...and I love using him as the example as it doesn't get much more Southern than Big Krit.

Is sampling less frequent today than it was in '91? Of course. But that's no reason to throw a blanket of shit over everything being made today...which is what I'm trying to speak down upon.

hertzhog said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Bustin' At 'Em runs for 24 minutes on the one I'm looking at.

• DocMcCoy said:
    hertzhog said:
    DocMcCoy said:

That's pretty weird. On Itunes and Spotify it's just under 4 minutes. 4:03 on wikipedia.

But that's no reason to throw a blanket of shit over everything being made today...which is what I'm trying to speak down upon.

Take it up with someone who's actually doing that, then.

DocMcCoy said:
    But that's no reason to throw a blanket of shit over everything being made today...which is what I'm trying to speak down upon.

Take it up with someone who's actually doing that, then.

Thank you, Mr. Posting Police.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    hertzhog said:
    DocMcCoy said:

That's an error. VBR files display like that sometimes.

Reynaldo said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    hertzhog said:
    DocMcCoy said:

That's an error. VBR files display like that sometimes.

Yeah, I figured that out now. It seemed to be looping back on itself as well, but not all the time. Still, four minutes or 24, it bangs.

• harv i wasn't trying to say that sample based hip hop doesn't exist anymore, or anything like that, nor that the old school was all about samples - helll my most listened to rap beat at the moment is a three the hardway cut from 87 which is nothing more than an 808 and a scratched guitar hook. but certainly its very rare to find the kind of patchwork composition which many of us would associate with that 90s period nowadays, especially on major rap records. and if people wish to say thats the kind of hip hop they like best, fair enough in my book. it is after all, a site for musicologists who look backwards as well as forwards and thats a rare quality in this day and age.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

That Waka Flocka album really surprised me

Yup - I was skeptical, but I've been listening to it steadily.
    His rapping has improved. I found him forgettable to unlistenable in the past.

Now, if only he can give OJ da Juiceman some tips....

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    bassie said:
    DocMcCoy said:

That Waka Flocka album really surprised me

Yup - I was skeptical, but I've been listening to it steadily.
    His rapping has improved. I found him forgettable to unlistenable in the past.

Now, if only he can give OJ da Juiceman some tips....

Lol, how true.

Tip #1 :CHANGE YA' DAMN NAME!!!
    Tip #2 : Fill out an application at UPS.
    Tip #3: Refer to tip #1

• Actually, looking backwards and avoiding the new is what is safe.

No, I don't agree at all.
    I love rap from every year.
    I think the whole lamenting the golden era/talking about how rap post-19?? sucks is sorry and tired.

I don't belong in this thread.

A lot of the acts we all liked in 1990 haven't aged well.

your buuuugin'. one of the best years for full lengths and creativity, need a list ?

more like "rap" from just 2 years ago hasnt aged well.