Worst year EVER (in Hip-Hop)

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Dj Screw is an innovator in ways you can???t wrap your mind around

I couldn't make it past the 30 second mark. That is God awful. How much skill does it take to pitch down a record and make it totally unlistenable. I never understood the whole DJ Screw craze. Oh well, the man had a major impact on the industry though, R.I.P.
    I just never got it.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    u posted a fucking High and Mighty song to express how you felt at the direction hip hop was going in in the late 90???

I posted that, as i stated in the post - because it illustrates a sentiment - not to ride for the track or the artist. Guess it went over your head.

bw

Dj Screw is an innovator in ways you can???t wrap your mind around

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    staxwax said:

I posted that, as i stated in the post - because it illustrates a sentiment - not to ride for the track or the artist. Guess it went over your head.

Nah, I got you bro. I know we're on the same team. My statement was just for any Screw fans. People ride hard for that dude and, again, I just don't get it.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    there is is quite a bit of cool stuff coming out of japan at the moment, guys like Mitsu, Grooveman and so on

I agree.

JAZZYSPORT is definitely putting out tonnes of quality music in recent years.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The thing is, saying "this is garbage", "if this is good, I've made my point" ain't saying shit, you know that right?
    All you're saying is that you don't like it.

I'd rather have a good time listening to what I like and what you think is shit, than spend the time and energy shitting on stuff I don't really care about anyhow.

Why you guys let this stuff drive you crazy, I don't know.
    Listen to your 15 year old records and that's that.

It's like some playground shit right here, your music can only be good because some other music is crap.
    I'd be amazed if you all could have one of these pro-golden era threads without shitting on the present state of affairs.

mannybolone said:
    This thread is one big troll move.

Don't take the bait.

I'm trying! But I'm weak!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    bassie said:

I'd be amazed if you all could have one of these pro-golden era threads without shitting on the present state of affairs.

the collective of the old man 'back-in-my-day' fogies around here cannot and will not accomplish this. ever.

• scribescribe 16 Posts
    But if you put this into a soul or rock context, can't you look back to specific eras of those genres and point to periods which stood out (for you)?

The common strut-ism: if you don't like (fill in the blank ) you don't like rap -- leads to: if you don't like (fill in the blank modern soul) you don't like soul music. That doesn't wash.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    scribe said:
    But if you put this into a soul or rock context, can't you look back to specific eras of those genres and point to periods which stood out (for you)?

The common strut-ism: if you don't like (fill in the blank ) you don't like rap -- leads to: if you don't like (fill in the blank modern soul) you don't like soul music. That doesn't wash.

Not really--if you don't like certain major soul artists or styles, then you don't actually like soul; you just like certain subsets of it.

• speaking for New Orleans, 2010 has been phenomenal for rap. the (re)surgence of interest in bounce has put the NOLA name out there nationally for the 1st time in a minute, Curren$y put out a great major label record, and the local underground is at its most robust in years. tons of quality mixtapes and tracks.

stop defining rap by the major label paradigm.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Ha...this thread kinda remind me why I stopped entertaining y'all...endless arguments over petty shit. As usual, Harvey and 'em got it right. And as usual, the rest got it wrong (including my euro partner).

On a euro note, they will never to understand "regional footnotes" because they don't get it when it's happening. They have to wait 5 years to connect the dots. Prime example : screwed up tapes. It took us 10 years to understand why mofockers was slowing down tempos when the music was actually under 90bpm. Which was not the trend back then. We was doing beats around 90/100bpm at that time. What we used to call "regional rap" (that later because a Dirty South music or whatever you're calling it) was beyond us because we had no clues about the South. We knew about Geto Boys, UGK, Too Short and that's pretty much it. We didn't know about codeine, candy paint rides, cadillacs, etc...All that shit wasn't relayed by New-Yorkers, which used to define Hip-hop worldwide. This is why a dude can say High & Mighty get some props where he's from. Because only fucked up Euros could bump that shit like it was all good. And they was white, which help lil kids in their bedroom to identify themselves to people they look like...crazy but true.

Nowadays shit have changed. Musically for the best I would say. And business-wise for the worse.
    Internet and all the digital era have shape the market. But I'd rather listen to any 2010 release from So Icey Ent, Grand Hustle, Young Money than any washed up 12" I used to bump in 94. Just because it was released during the golden era dont mean it's gold...We had our share of bad lyrics, bad drum kits, bad samples, etc...Our expectations wasn't that high I guess.
    Nowadays we got peopel like Gibbs, Curren$y, Big KRIT, L.E.$., and so on that carry the torch of good music. DJ Toomp is a monster. We even got Camron still on the grind, still blowing up new producers like Araab Muzik. Same way he brung the Heatmakers on the map. Arrab got iller beats and techniques than let's say, Evil Dee or Diamond. I still ride for those dudes, don't get me wrong. But it is what it is. You may not like Araab Muzik beats, but dude is doing his thing. Like many others. There's plethora of new artist that deserve to shine. They just don't because the business aspect has switched to some prostitution type of shit. You gotta show more. You gotta give away more. Like a whore. With that said, I'm out....bumpin Flockavelli.LOL.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Let everyone live, dudes. This some "Rap music as an adolescent questioning" things shit. When rap is pushing 50 what you gonna say then? Old shit is great, new shit is great. You separate it I really think you don't like the music, you just like the idea of it.

• faux_rillz said:
    Breez said:
    All these Soulja Boy's, Wacka Flaka's and all that is just very bad music. I can respect your statement thought. See ya in the next Soulja Boy thread.

Waka Flocka just put out one of the year's best albums and, certainly, one of the most uncompromising major label records in years.

DELUSIONAL CRUST

Nowadays shit have changed. Musically for the best I would say. And business-wise for the worse.
    your music can only be good because some other music is crap.
    Why you guys let this stuff drive you crazy, I don???t know.

All people have said is comparatively, as a whole - musically - things went into decline after the mid nineties . Thats not driving anyone crazy - its just the way it is. No use crying about it. In fact, great music has dropped since then and continues to drop even today. No one is arguing against this.

Just speaking objectively, as someone who listens to a broad range of genres from all ages, theres no way you can tell me this is great music - unless you are tone def or od'ing on code??ne.

The singing is horrible, for one. lets just leave it at that.

to some people hip hop = jazzy breaks rather than the wider picture of lyrics and/or music that moves you.

This statement shows a complete lack of understanding of the music - or what people appreciate about 'the golden age'. Like the dumb ass comments in the other thread - 80's/90's hip hop = james brown / jazzy breaks and riggedy raggedy rap. The music is in a better place in 2010 than it was then. You really hold this to be true? Be serious now. Once again, in case you missed, this is a hit in 2010

But if you put this into a soul or rock context, can???t you look back to specific eras of those genres and point to periods which stood out (for you)?
    The common strut-ism: if you don???t like (fill in the blank ) you don???t like rap???leads to: if you don???t like (fill in the blank modern soul) you don???t like soul music. That doesn???t wash.
    Exactly - Jazz was in a better place in the 60's and 70's than it was in the 80's and 90's - theres no arguing that - same goes for rock - sure, you get some misguided souls riding hard for branford marsalis, coldplay, and korn, but they simply are wrong. Objectively speaking, the music, or rather the recorded output is nowhere near as good in those later periods as it was in the preceding period. FACT.

Listen to your 15 year old records and that???s that.

So this Rick Ross, G Unit, TI, Kanye, Wacka Flocka, Minaj, Toomp, and YG ish is MUSICALLY on par with, or arguably better than, the best hip hop from the mid 80's to mid 90's. Can you keep a straight face when you say that to yourself?

Im sure people are willing to say the same about ICP and tech9. Please. Both have massive fan bases and sales - as does hoompapa brass band music in certain german provinces - and both - to the discerning/educated ear, suck. Sorry Juggalos and Oktoberfest enthusiasts.

And still some people are going to get pissed off when someone says , out of love for the genre, that to them, AS A WHOLE, the music is not in as good a place creatively at the moment, and take it personal. And start throwing flames and personal comments in the mix to prove their point, because "they won the argument years ago".
    Then try and make it into - YOURE STUCK ON JAMES BROWN AND JAZZ LOOPS. GO LISTEN TO OLD RECORDS. YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW GREAT THIS IS :

Better than anything that came before? game changing? moving the music forward as a whole and getting everyone excited about Hip Hop in 2010?

C'mon now.

Its fine if YOU like it tho.

Just dont insist that anyone who doesnt is 'hating on rap', has no idea, doesn't get it, or is stuck in the past.

Man you need to go in rehab...with the rock stars.

And that Lemonade shit was one of the best song in 2009. Period. Love it or hate it.

PS : I said "the song". Not Gucci is the best rapper, or this is the best beat. I said "THE SONG" is great. But you might need to marinate on that.

izm707 said:

And that Lemonade shit was one of the best song in 2009. Period. Love it or hate it.

PS : I said "the song". Not Gucci is the best rapper, or this is the best beat. I said "THE SONG" is great. But you might need to marinate on that.

Since you took it there:
    You sound like a hare lipped kraut idiot.
    Keep working on those linguistic skills.
    Bye.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Is hip hop/rap, then, immune from general decline? Is Europe picking up the slack?

• izm707 said:

I don't really feel one way or the other about the song, but having those kids count money in the video is some nasty ass shit. Only in America.

staxwax said:
    izm707 said:

Since you took it there:
    Bye.

I don't sound like one...I am one. And my skills are good enough for you to understand me. I was drunk and high when I typed. But if I pissed you off I'm happy...;-)

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    staxwax said:

Exactly - Jazz was in a better place in the 60's and 70's than it was in the 80's and 90's - theres no arguing that - same goes for rock - sure, you get some misguided souls riding hard for branford marsalis, coldplay, and korn, but they simply are wrong. Objectively speaking, the music, or rather the recorded output is nowhere near as good in those later periods as it was in the preceding period. FACT.

Where to start with this thread?

Jazz was great in the 20s, 30s, 40s... Some jazz fans wouldn't even consider 70s fusion "jazz". Music changes... and it should.

Rock was awesome in the 80s and 90s. I'm sure when Nirvana came out, ponytail dudes were like "You really think this is more advanced musically than Joe Satriani? Or Steve Vai?"

Ah well, music goes in cycles, as does personal taste. At the present, I gravitate towards either new stuff (Starlito, Gucci, Roc Marciano, AG etc) or mid to late nineties murkyness. I'll leave naming a "worst year" to the struts educated rap scholars.

But seriously - the "current rap sucks" discussion AGAIN? Why not just sticky a thread? Or create a new subforum for just that topic?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    How someone manages to diss both DJ Screw and Big Moe within a single thread...smh. Plaese to come down here and pop that junk in the flesh and see what happens.

• sergserg 682 Posts

I love the new waka, only one dud on the record and dude has the best adlibs ever. easily my favorite record of the year. And if you think 2010 sucks you aren't paying attention

serg said:
    And if you think 2010 sucks...

...who cares?

No one needs detractors' approval to make it, enjoy it, live off it, feed others off it or keep figuring out new and different ways to do it.

• All I know is 2010 has been the worst year yet for new jack swing, but I still ain't takin' these airbrushed biker shorts off no matter what y'all say. F THAT! Let em swang

JAAAAAAAAAAAMMMM

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    bassie said:
    serg said:
    And if you think 2010 sucks...

...who cares?

No one needs detractors' approval to make it, enjoy it, live off it, feed others off it or keep figuring out new and different ways to do it.

Well, playing devils advocate here, whenever anyone posts up any rap that has that specific "boom-bap" sound or flavor to it there's a gang of motherfuckers that immediately jump down their throats. Definitely a Soulstrut double standard. Just saying.

And for the record 2010 is a fine year for rap music. Plenty of good shit from all angles. Motherfuckers just need to not let themselves be so boxed in. It takes all kinds...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    The worst year in hip-hop is the year people spend more time complaining about hip-hop than trying to discover, or even (god forbid) create good hip-hop. Also:
    4YearGraduate said:
    All I know is 2010 has been the worst year yet for new jack swing, but I still ain't takin' these airbrushed biker shorts off no matter what y'all say. F THAT! Let em swang.

Hil-arious.

• hertzhog said:
    izm707 said:

I don't really feel one way or the other about the song, but having those kids count money in the video is some nasty ass shit. Only in America.

^^^^
    DELUSIONAL EUROPEAN STALE SEMMEL CRUST

• serg said:
    if you think 2010 sucks you aren't paying attention

[/thread]

• staxwax said:
    ......and take it personal. And start throwing flames and personal comments in the mix to prove their point, because "they won the argument years ago".
    staxwax said:

Bye.

lol.

And personally, though I appreciate it all, I tend to like more current stuff. There's been lots of great hip-hop throughout the aughts, and in the past few years...