New parents...

Comments

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    last year while coaching a grade 7 basketball team, i had to kick a kid named Raekwon out of the number one PG spot becaushe of his classroom attitude. needless to say it was a conflict of interest.

That's a tough decision to have to make...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Almond said:

Gagandeep

• Almond said:
    Possum Tom said:
    for the record... was talking about white kids from suburban usa. i think jaymack understands what i meant. his examples were spot on.

for those that seem offended that someone else would have an opinion of what NOT to name an offspring, I'd probably lighten up. I mean, this kid is going to be judged by his or her name for their entire life, and if i think its bad, theirs a good chance their potential, bosses, teachers, and significant others will as well.

I know, I just went off on a tangent.

interesting that during your pronunciation rant you would omit "Almond".

• rayray 77 Posts
    Aiden, Brayden, Caden, Hayden, Jaiden, etc...

...all names from my step-son's third grade class. I'm sure I'm forgetting one...

• ray said:

...all names from my step-son's third grade class. I'm sure I'm forgetting one...

bin layden?

my secretary named her son Atreyu. NOT COOL.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Almond said:
    What's the take on ethnic names which, while common in the motherland, sound crazy and exotic to Americans who don't want to make the effort to pronounce them properly?

I don't have access to Facebook, so I can't post it til later unless someone finds it, but I saw a great cartoon called The Name Game about how people react to (what is for them) new names of the "ethnic" persuasion. It was uncanny how the author got it almost verbatim what people say and do.

I usually have to say my name twice for people to get it and most of the time they mispronounce it still lol. I get it, I have a hard time with some names, too, and it takes me a couple of times.
    But I think it's well ignorant when people ask me "can I call you Ann for short?"
    I keep my cool about it and say No, which they do not expect to hear. Learn my name or don't say it. Pretty easy!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    ray said:

bin layden?

Keeping it Never Ending Story related, if I was to pick one from the movie, I'd go with Falcor. But it's more of a dog's name and that dog would definitely have some big paws to fill.

• white_tea said:
    vintageinfants said:
    ray said:

bin layden?

Keeping it Never Ending Story related, if I was to pick one from the movie, I'd go with Falcor. But it's more of a dog's name and that dog would definitely have some big paws to fill.

but seriously, what's next? gargamel? madmartigan?

i live in canada and my last name has an "??" in it. the intimidation in peoples faces trying to pronounce it is total comedy.

• Options
    day said:
    lilmonstu said:
    I used to think kinda like that, and I am very sorry I ever did.

There is no reason that if you think that someone's name is bad that anyone else will. Furthermore, if you and your friends think someone's name is bad that doesn't mean that the next person will think that, too. It is random.

You're a strange dude.

My Dad calls me Paw paw, and so do my two best friends from childhood. But, I'd rather go by The Mxyzptlk-Up Menace (Superman Record-r).

Lol (also abbreviation for Lots Of Love)

• sound is a bit wonky, but I always think of this sketch when conversations like this pop off.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Liam explosion is in full force at my kids' school. The Isabel/Izabella tidal wave is cresting. In a cross posting with the "things you hear in record stores" thread. I met a high schooler named Rhythm at the local spot. Bummer for him.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DrWu said:
    I met a high schooler named Rhythm at the local spot. Bummer for him.

Obviously named after his parents choice method of birth control.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DrWu said:

Zing!

b/w

Meet Marijuana Pepsi Sawyer!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DrWu said:

I think he's more likely named after their favorite Boogie record.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

Zing!

b/w

Meet Marijuana Pepsi Sawyer!

named for her parents' two most favorite things in the world?
    This thread reminded me of that Steve Martin movie 'The man with the two Brains'
    Martins character is calles Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

funny movie

• I dodged a bullet. My Dad wanted to name me an 'ethnic' name that sounds AWFUL in English. Luckily my Mom overruled at the last minute and picked a different one. So now, people don't know how to pronounce / spell my name, but it wasn't schoolyard torment worthy, like the original name was.

So, my Dad named his dog that name - lol.

I actually like the Balkan (?) names, and how they sound in English - Darko, Dragutin, Ratko ,etc...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My folks named me Cosmo...

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    brokenrecord said:

lol is a pretty good name for a dog

• BigK said:
    brokenrecord said:

lol is a pretty good name for a dog

lol!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Cosmo said:

There were two Cosmo's in my High School on Lonk Guyland.....both were Italian.

I thought that was the coolest name in the world!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Cosmo said:

Yeah I guess it's technically a Greek name, although I am definitely NOT Greek. I've actually met several dudes named Cosmo in my life so I know it's not that odd, especially given that it's a rather common name in another part of the world. Still, none of that really made me feel better when teachers and dumb-ass school kids always called me "Astro" or stupid shit like that.

Another thing is when people insist to add an "S" at the end on my name. Sheesh...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If I ever have a son, I'm naming him MANWICH.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Girlfriend's nephew (whose father DJs) is named Deejae.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Manwich Canal

sweet

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Cosmo said:

Cosmo is definitely a cool name.

But then I'm named Mike, which is the most boring name in the world, so I've always envied people with cool names.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Manwich Canal

oh man

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Cosmo said:

But then I'm named Mike, which is the most boring name in the world, so I've always envied people with cool names.

Straight up when I was a kid I was so embarrassed by my name. There was this TV show that I absolutely LOVED called "Automan" which was this live action adventure show where the hero could transform himself into a car, a helicopter, a boat etc... SO one year at the Pennsylvania Auto Show the one and only AUTOMAN was appearing and my stepdad brought me there to meet him. I waited in line for so long and was super psyched. Finally when it was my turn the homie looked up to me and asked "Hey, what's YOURRRRR NAME?"

I froze for a second, and for some reason, I blurted out the first name that came to mind, a name that was completely "normal" and innocuous...

"Carl"

He looked at me smiled and proceeded to write out an autograped 8X10 glossy of my favorite TV hero du jour...

To Carl,

Dream!

Love,
    Automan

#FileUnderChildhoodTraumaticSecretsRevealedOnAPublieMessageboardRaer

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Found it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    bassie said:
    Found it.

"Cool. I once dated a Syrian woman, she was beautiful."

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Cosmo said:

Straight up when I was a kid I was so embarrassed by my name. There was this TV show that I absolutely LOVED called "Automan" which was this live action adventure show where the hero could transform himself into a car, a helicopter, a boat etc... SO one year at the Pennsylvania Auto Show the one and only AUTOMAN was appearing and my stepdad brought me there to meet him. I waited in line for so long and was super psyched. Finally when it was my turn the homie looked up to me and asked "Hey, what's YOURRRRR NAME?"

I froze for a second, and for some reason, I blurted out the first name that came to mind, a name that was completely "normal" and innocuous...

"Carl"

He looked at me smiled and proceeded to write out an autograped 8X10 glossy of my favorite TV hero du jour...

To Carl,

Dream!

Love,
    Automan

#FileUnderChildhoodTraumaticSecretsRevealedOnAPublieMessageboardRaer

I like the name Cosmo. It reminds me of a dude that orders a rusty nail at the bar with a fly Coogi on. Wasn't that Cher's dad's name in Moonstruck?

My Parents named me Thomas Anton, but called me Anton my whole life. I guess Thomas Anton Sounded better than Anton Thomas. Anyone that knew me before I was 13 calls me Anton. In my elementary school, the entire staff seemed to insist on calling me "Antoine." Everyone... My teachers, the principal, the guidance councilor... "ANTOINE." I would always have to correct people. My parents would always have to correct people. It got REALLY old.

When I was 13 my parents split up and my mom moved out to Maryland, which had a way more decent public school system, so i was enrolled using her new address. I didn't know anyone there at all. On the first day, the teachers would call roll at the beginning of class, "Thomas?"
    I just raised my hand and the name stuck. Nowadays I kinda wish I had insisted people use my middle name but at the time it was a major relief.

Having a strange name as a child is tough.