Insidious Ads?/WaxPo#42 Related

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    And JRoot, I'll go as far to say that one of the reasons why so many like yourself who are into boom-bap but not modern artists even when they make music that approximates boom-bap is that you've been steered away from it by gatekeepers such as Waxpo.

Within said circles, it's never been cool to like Pimp C...so why even bother knowing anything about him or his music beyond the surface? Y'all would drive 1,500 miles to dig through Stanley Turrentine's nephew's girlfriend's trash to come up with some obscure nugget of what y'all would call knowledge...but how dare someone actually read the liner notes of a classic UGK cd?

You may be right about this....but I've read the liner notes of a classic UGK CD.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Y'all would drive 1,500 miles to dig through Stanley Turrentine's nephew's girlfriend's trash to come up with some obscure nugget of what y'all would call knowledge...but how dare someone actually read the liner notes of a classic UGK cd?

Shied, refocus: JRoot is not the enemy

• considering just about everything is online these days.....i feel lucky to even have a tangible copy.

not that im a cheerleader for the mag but......lets be honest, there hasnt been a publication to date that has done 1/2 of what they have.
    anybody in this thread care to post mags that are perfect in every way, and over time have featured the artists that they have ?

aw man those barrywhite.slystone.shuggieotis.ohioplayers.zapp.bettydavis.jamesbrown.gilscott.joecuba...articles really suck and all the other mags have featured them time and time again.

ohhhhhh.. that other mag... soulstrut: the boring lives of critics.

its simple. dont / buy read it.

• I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Raw Hamburger

• I've been reading on and off since the beginning and I still dug the last issue and look forward to the reggae one- just a quick survey of the contents promises worthwhile subjects that no one else is covering. I mean write ups on Bob Andy?

The Ford ad was kind of a distraction, but I don't see it as anything else and it didn't ruin the article.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

soulstrut: the boring lives of critics.

:oh_snap:

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    It's an obvious pattern that's happening:

- Magazine loses some readership/advertisers due to economy/internet
    - Mag starts compromising editorially to get more ad $$
    - Mag loses more readership because of compromises
    - Mag has to compromise even more to make up for it
    - Mag loses even more readership because of further compromises
    - Repeat until out of business

It's a lose/lose situation, you either:
    Keep the journalistic integrity, in which case you don't have enough $ to keep afloat
    Or
    You take the cash and compromise and your readers don't want to spend their hard earned buckaroos on your mag

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    BigK said:
    buckaroos

SoulOnIce said:
    BigK said:
    buckaroos

Obvious Rickey Vincent alias

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    BigK said:
    buckaroos

Coincidentally, "The saddle-stacking game with the moody mule" well describes life with my ex-wife

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    BigK said:
    Coincidentally, "The saddle-stacking game with the moody mule" well describes life with my ex-wife

• You know, the content in the issue was great as far as I'm concerned. I don't buy every issue because I'm not always interested in every genre they cover. I also have no desire to trash waxpo either. I think they do a fine job doing what they do and wish them continued success well past when they're asking engineers that worked on that Drake album for stories. I just want to keep my content and advertising separate, even if that means missed opportunities for making dough on any publications part. I know magazines are expensive to print but just don't draw all over the article I'm trying to read to try and sell me a goddamned car. You can sell ad space in other ways. Sayin'.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    BigK said:
    buckaroos

• i'm not that fussed about the ad, i think its a great mag and pretty unique in its field, i don't think they could exist without ads like that once in a while. i work for a couple of mags so i have some idea of what a struggle it is to publish a physical magazine these days. maybe some of you should contribute because there are some excellent article ideas in this thread. i'd like to read a mannie fresh feature for example.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I don't think anyone is deluded about the the fact that you need advertising dollars to make a publication work.
    However they could have done it in a more classy way. They have always had huge scion adds and the like but please don't mess with the text of an article. It doesn't really sit with the whole look that wax po is going for and is a big turn off.
    I haven't seen this kind of print add before is this becoming more common in the US ?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Y'all would drive 1,500 miles to dig through Stanley Turrentine's nephew's girlfriend's trash to come up with some obscure nugget of what y'all would call knowledge...but how dare someone actually read the liner notes of a classic UGK cd?

Shied, refocus: JRoot is not the enemy

Yes, I agree. Neither is Waxpo. I just get carried away with my critiques sometimes. Glad the mag exists and is still going strong.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    for 9.999 i am better off with a scorpio reissue lp and read the online content to save paper

to answer raw hamburger- i did stop buying it
    and
    BRiNG BACK BIG DADDY which pummeled the entire waxpo run with just the first issue.

grand royal too

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    kala said:
    for 9.999 i am better off with a scorpio reissue lp and read the online content to save paper

I don't understand the scorpio reissues. Who decides what records they reissue? Why are they all priced at $9.99? Does that mean, as I suspect, that artists/rights owners get squat? I suppose I'm glad that the music is more widely available, but the whole thing is highly suspect, so I generally stay away.

And I repeat, reading blogs or even WaxPo online while on the can is NAGL (though I've done it before).

BRiNG BACK BIG DADDY which pummeled the entire waxpo run with just the first issue.

Big Daddy was a great magazine, no doubt. But it went out of business.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    if you are spending enough time on the throne to get some reading done... you need to step your fiber game up

just sayin'

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The layout of big daddy made my head hurt. Josh Dunn does a great job art directing Wax po. As far as content goes, I doubt that the "dumbing down" has hurt the circulation. If anything, I imagine it has helped. Don't forget. You're average person could care less about some wordy review of a private harp record.

Just wait until the wax po reality show airs :0

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    The layout of big daddy made my head hurt. Josh Dunn does a great job art directing Wax po.

I agree. It's clean and sterile. Kind of like a National Geographic for music. That's why the Ford ad crossing the line is such a WTF moment. I'd bet the NG readership wouldn't enjoy a Scion racing through the Savannah in the middle of a stunning spread on Kenya.

Oh... and if you want to get your dick wet with all kinds of ads.... DON'T CHARGE $9.99!

Possum Tom said:
    The name of big daddy made my head hurt

Wax Poetics does look great--the pictures are the chief reason I check for it.

• Granted it probably has a much larger circulation (and a TV show), but it is possible to run a magazine without advertising. Cook's Illustrated charges $11 less for a subscription of a quality magazine with no ads whatsoever. (I subscribe.)

I'd be curious to hear if O-Dub or anyone else could drop a little knowledge on subscription rate trends at WaxPo -- has it taken a big hit as of late or has it been growing?

• kala said:

grand royal too

best ever. so much info packed into the moog issue. now if you wanna talk layout on the other hand, damn thats hard to read.

and some of the ads are hilarious in retrospect, albeit not in an intrusive way.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Granted it probably has a much larger circulation (and a TV show), but it is possible to run a magazine without advertising. Cook's Illustrated charges $11 less for a subscription of a quality magazine with no ads whatsoever. (I subscribe.)

I'd be curious to hear if O-Dub or anyone else could drop a little knowledge on subscription rate trends at WaxPo -- has it taken a big hit as of late or has it been growing?

I have no idea. I just write for 'em on occasion but the inner workings of their business isn't something I'm privy to.

Cook's Illustrated has far fewer pages and no color printing inside. If they were as big and well-produced as WP, they'd be charging a shit load more than $11. As it is, my wife and I ended our subscription because it just felt like it was too much (we rock their cookbooks though. Highly recommended).

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm loving the BMW ads that are popping up at the top of the Strut window.

SOULSTRUT FELL OFF!

• mannybolone said:
    white_tea said:
    Granted it probably has a much larger circulation (and a TV show), but it is possible to run a magazine without advertising. Cook's Illustrated charges $11 less for a subscription of a quality magazine with no ads whatsoever. (I subscribe.)

I have no idea. I just write for 'em on occasion but the inner workings of their business isn't something I'm privy to.

Cook's Illustrated has far fewer pages and no color printing inside. If they were as big and well-produced as WP, they'd be charging a shit load more than $11. As it is, my wife and I ended our subscription because it just felt like it was too much (we rock their cookbooks though. Highly recommended).

Without thread-jacking, I will say that I don't mind the lack of color printing in Cook's Illustrated and think the depth of the articles (particularly what "doesn't work" in any given recipe) and also the black-and-white illustrations more than make up for it. The fact that they will straight skewer companies such as Kraft, which is a major advertiser in other cooking mags, is also a bonus.

Back to the topic at hand, I looked up WaxPo's circulation on the never-wrong Wikipedia, which stated 77,400 issues, on average for each edition in the first half of 2010. Suffice to say it wasn't enough to put them on the Top 100 for circulation in the United States. For point of comparison, Rolling Stone magazine was No. 57 on the list at more than 1.4 million copies.

• kala said:

whos writing your material ?

seriously....fire them.

grand royal too

• For those of us from the late 80's & 90s era Straight No Chaser was our bible! This was before the explosion of the internet also. The DJ charts from around the globe helped me discover many a record.