McDuff or McGriff ?

13»

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Strider79it said:
    upskiboo said:
    im thinking i might wanna go change my vote.. if its not too late ?

...never late... mcduffin you too ?

although im missing a few of his essential lps, like moon rappin.. but yeah!

Its all about how u look at it though, are we comparing albums, or just tracks, or their whole discography ? cause if we are comparing who of the two put out the best album, what album from each organist would be competing ?

Like.. in the minds of soulstrut, which album are their best one ?

• I was thinking more in terms of their style of playin...who you like more between the two

for instance McGriff playing on The Preacher's Tune (off in concert with groove holmes) is incredible ... he doesn't take solos on that one but he build the whole jam near all by himself...even if you can count 3 guitarists on that one

talking abt Lps : My favourite McGriff are "the worm" and "electric funk" ....yet the two are very different
    the first is a combo recording and it sounds very "live" while on the 2nd you can feel the producer Horace Ott in command as it predate the CTI policy with his large -and anonymous- brass sections...

McDuff album "Double Barrell of Soul" with david newman is another winner...the track "Duffin around' has one of his best solos...very raw and powerful

oh shit, i somehow missed the whole point of this thread, haha.. oops, sorry!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    upskiboo said:

dont see any mention of the organist with the dopest name in the game, groove holmes, luv that dudes work too!!

Thats a big 10-4 there buddy. I cant read about mcgriff and mcduff and not think of groove holmes. They made digging worthwhile. This guy was off the chain - that onsaya joy track you posted is incredible - listen to it and realize groove holmes is only being accompanied by a guitar player and a drummer and dwell on that shit, bat nuts.

Here's some more funky groove merchant groove holmes I rate just for good measure.

• Funk, Inc. aren't normally thought of as an "organ combo," per se, but they were led by an organist (Bobby Watley), and they did a lot of this stuff in their early bar gigs, before Prestige Records got to 'em.

You can hear their Groove McHolmes sound on "The Whipper," from their first album:

• pickwick33 said:
    You can hear their Groove McHolmes sound ......

Speaking of which anyone know what it was that he did to his organ to get this "clicking" sound?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    :hijack: Forum
    pickwick33 said:
    Funk, Inc. aren't normally thought of as an "organ combo," per se, but they were led by an organist (Bobby Watley), and they did a lot of this stuff in their early bar gigs, before Prestige Records got to 'em.

You can hear their Groove McHolmes sound on "The Whipper," from their first album:

They could have a place in this thread since their demo landed in the hands of Brother Jack McDuff who helped them get signed to Prestige.

• stratasphere said:
    :hijack:
    This thread already has more hijacks than Pan AM

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Yeah, I know. Fortunately it is still on the topic of organ players. :lol:

• Hell, this is possibly the most focused music discussion we've had since the board changed its' layout

• Must mention the Bartel LP as another great organ showcase. Especially the tracks "Boogie" and "You've Just Been Bitten".

if its ok to throw another organ player into the mix, you prolly never heard about this dude before, just came across the album this week, mid 60s group outta denmark, lead by organist tommy p, has a couple decent tracks, nothing like mcgriff or mcduff, but still pretty cool in its own way, actually never heard it or seen it before, but i know the dude from some other danish organ stuff his done, anyway, record is from 1967, and i was thinking some of it reminded me a little bit of vampires of dartmoore (the first track) has that spy jazz beaty edge to it

Tommy-P by upskiboo

• Baby Face Willette is another good one (I have his two Argo elpees)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    terds

• faux_rillz said:
    terds

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    GOT BURNED BY AN EARL GRANT LP

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I tried to listen to some organ jazz on account of this thread and fell asleep.

• tabira said:
    pickwick33 said:
    You can hear their Groove McHolmes sound ......

Speaking of which anyone know what it was that he did to his organ to get this "clicking" sound?

I think that is what happens to organs when they get old and worn out. Or, some might say "broken in".

• That Groove Holmes album: Comin On Home is pure joy, and not just cause of Weldon Irvine, though he compliments Holmes perfectly. The liner notes describe how the author discovered a then unknown Holmes playing early in the night at one joint then following him and his organ through numerous gigs as night gave way till morning.

• LoopDreams said:
    That Groove Holmes album: Comin On Home is pure joy, and not just cause of Weldon Irvine, though he compliments Holmes perfectly. The liner notes describe how the author discovered a then unknown Holmes playing early in the night at one joint then following him and his organ through numerous gigs as night gave way till morning.

I'll bet he probably drove from gig to gig in a funeral hearse (that's what all the organists used to transport their instruments from place to place)

• Reynaldo said:
    I tried to listen to some organ jazz on account of this thread and fell asleep.

you probably messed with the wrong John Patton Lp ;)

Ronnie Foster: I only know his Two Headed Freap album......how's the rest ? ...and his "Live at Montreaux" ?