America

13»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Things are not near as divided or violent as in the 60s into 70s. In my opinion.

We saw the assassination of 4 very high profile leaders.
    Riots, despite the fact that police had shoot to kill orders.
    A systematic campaign to kill or jail Black Panthers and Weather Underground members.
    (BP & WU were serious about revolution in America and were armed and carried out bombings.)
    Protesting students were shot in SC, OH, MS and CA.

The Tea Party and Timothy McViegh and the governments response don't come close to any of that.
    Except that high tech and Bush era rules have greatly increased the gvts ability to spy on us.

As for divided public opinion. Perhaps about the same.
    Segregationist and civil rights supporters, hawks and doves were as opposed to each other as any 2 groups today.

The political parties are much more divided today. Republicans and Ds worked together on both sides of these and other issues.
    There was nothing like foxnews or other partisan media. Broadcast media was barred from taking sides.

Its not so much that the parties are more divided today. But today the federal government is so pervasive that the stakes are higher. Do you think the people of rural Mississippi want to live according to the opinions of the people living on the upper West Side? About as much as all of you would want to live according to the opinions of the rural Mississippians. Used to be that individuals in a community could express these preferences through their local and state governments. Nowadays, so many of the things that were once local, schools, roads, parks, environment, commerce is dictated by the federal government, so there is no other forum in which a person can make a meaningful difference.

I like when you seriously say what you believe. Good points.

I should find a link, but, I will just tell the story.
    There is a young woman, from rural MS who was not allowed to go to the senior prom and all references to her were removed from the year book. Because she is a lesbian. She would like some of that upper west side opinions to be more prevelant in rural MS. I am with her on this one.

Interestingly, in the past, school boards were the most local and independent of government bodies. Until Bush federalized the schools. But enough Bush bashing.

Here is the link.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-18-yearbook-photo-lesbian_N.htm

• LaserWolf said:
    sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Things are not near as divided or violent as in the 60s into 70s. In my opinion.

We saw the assassination of 4 very high profile leaders.
    Riots, despite the fact that police had shoot to kill orders.
    A systematic campaign to kill or jail Black Panthers and Weather Underground members.
    (BP & WU were serious about revolution in America and were armed and carried out bombings.)
    Protesting students were shot in SC, OH, MS and CA.

The Tea Party and Timothy McViegh and the governments response don't come close to any of that.
    Except that high tech and Bush era rules have greatly increased the gvts ability to spy on us.

As for divided public opinion. Perhaps about the same.
    Segregationist and civil rights supporters, hawks and doves were as opposed to each other as any 2 groups today.

The political parties are much more divided today. Republicans and Ds worked together on both sides of these and other issues.
    There was nothing like foxnews or other partisan media. Broadcast media was barred from taking sides.

Its not so much that the parties are more divided today. But today the federal government is so pervasive that the stakes are higher. Do you think the people of rural Mississippi want to live according to the opinions of the people living on the upper West Side? About as much as all of you would want to live according to the opinions of the rural Mississippians. Used to be that individuals in a community could express these preferences through their local and state governments. Nowadays, so many of the things that were once local, schools, roads, parks, environment, commerce is dictated by the federal government, so there is no other forum in which a person can make a meaningful difference.

I like when you seriously say what you believe. Good points.

I should find a link, but, I will just tell the story.
    There is a young woman, from rural MS who was not allowed to go to the senior prom and all references to her were removed from the year book. Because she is a lesbian. She would like some of that upper west side opinions to be more prevelant in rural MS. I am with her on this one.

Interestingly, in the past, school boards were the most local and independent of government bodies. Until Bush federalized the schools. But enough Bush bashing.

Here is the link.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-18-yearbook-photo-lesbian_N.htm

I agree. And many of those changes are constitutionally mandated and thats a good thing. I was merely pointing out a possible reason for why things have become so acrimonious, whether for good or for bad.

• gravelheadwrap said:
    The end of that clip is awesome: "Yes I'm in Washington DC on the mall as Ben Franklin and these people are recording me and its embarassing"

Was this not funny?

• sabadabada said:
    PelvicDust said:
    mannybolone said:
    Okem said:
    1 in 4 Americans believes Obama is a 'secret' muslim, apparently.

There aren't many other democratic countries where brainwashing is so prevalent and accepted.

Don't be so naive.

I'm not out to "defend America" but the idea that we've cornered the global market on ignorance is ridiculous.

But there is a special kind of profound ignorance here. Here's one illustration:

This is a chart showing the acceptance of evolution in the listed countries.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/21329204.html

Oh yeah! How's all them smarts working out for Iceland? Isn't the whole country bankrupt?

meh. doesn't sound like they're any worse off than us.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    sabadabada said:
    PelvicDust said:
    mannybolone said:
    Okem said:
    1 in 4 Americans believes Obama is a 'secret' muslim, apparently.

There aren't many other democratic countries where brainwashing is so prevalent and accepted.

Don't be so naive.

I'm not out to "defend America" but the idea that we've cornered the global market on ignorance is ridiculous.

But there is a special kind of profound ignorance here. Here's one illustration:

This is a chart showing the acceptance of evolution in the listed countries.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/21329204.html

Oh yeah! How's all them smarts working out for Iceland? Isn't the whole country bankrupt?

meh. doesn't sound like they're any worse off than us.

http://www.xe.com/news/2010-06-28 13:47:00.0/1241713.htm

Yeah but, their n is only 500 while ours is 1484. We're totally crushing them in the n category. Hooray!

• *double post*

• Saba, you're taking great pains to tell everyone here how ignorant they are. I'd love to hear you defend the Beck Ralley-ers. Convince me they aren't ignorant.

And, where was all the outrage over Federal Gov't. Pervasiveness when the Patriot Act went into effect? Probably the most pervasive act the government has put into effect in 20 years (if not more), and I don't hear you complaining about that....

• Options
    hobo_d said:

But they're not stupid or ignorant. They're just good people who don't happen to know anything.