America

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    day said:

"The Obama-era" is less than 2 years old. Yes, he's been wishy washy and failed at times, but some of the things you're talking about can't be magically fixed in that span of time.

Which ones?

Guantanamo and the Afghanistan War for starters. I'm not falling for this shit dude, but feel free to try and derail this thread if you like.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Good boy.

• The end of that clip is awesome: "Yes I'm in Washington DC on the mall as Ben Franklin and these people are recording me and its embarassing"

• day said:
    Good boy.

totally. i want more of this.

The worst thing isn???t that these people have their opinions, it???s that they flat out refuse to listen to anyone who challenges their version of ???truth???. Even when presented with facts or evidence, the minute it contradicts their beliefs, it???s a wrap.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    dopeshit said:
    PelvicDust said:
    America is filled with twisted ignorant retards who think they're brilliant.

We may be doomed.

LOL.
    "i learned all i needed to know about islam on 9-11"

What's truly amazing about that quote is that it is quite literally an article from The Onion. They've gone so batshit crazy that they're outpacing satire: Poe's Law wins again.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Okem said:
    1 in 4 Americans believes Obama is a 'secret' muslim, apparently.

There aren't many other democratic countries where brainwashing is so prevalent and accepted.

Don't be so naive.

I'm not out to "defend America" but the idea that we've cornered the global market on ignorance is ridiculous.

Well I wasn't trying to "attack America" so you can relax, and I didn't call anyone ignorant.

Your assumption that this is the norm, proves only how accepted this is in America. The fact that SO many people can whole heartedly believe such ridiculous statement, is testament to the prevalence of the rightwing brainwashing in the US.

But I'm sure you can give me examples of blatant widespread brainwashing, in other well established democratic countries.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Okem said:

But I'm sure you can give me examples of blatant widespread brainwashing, in other well established democratic countries.

Where is that Susan Boyle from???

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    day said:
    Good boy.

totally. i want more of this.

The worst thing isn???t that these people have their opinions, it???s that they flat out refuse to listen to anyone who challenges their version of ???truth???. Even when presented with facts or evidence, the minute it contradicts their beliefs, it???s a wrap.

Yes, you got me. I refuse to listen to all these facts you've presented. I'm exactly like them.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    day said:

Lately it feels like America is a volcano waiting to erupt.

Honestly, my take is that after 8 years of playing offense, it's been weird trying to play defense for barely two years but we are so far far far away from the kind of social turmoil of the 1960s and '70s. I'm not saying shit couldn't blow up but generally speaking, I feel like the reason why it all feels worse is because mass media is so much more ever-present in our lives and thus amplifies shit beyond its actual reality.

If you are actually perceiving things as 8 years of offense and 8 years of defense, then sorry to break it to you...but you are just as caught up in the mainstream media stupidity as just about anyone else.

day said:
    mannybolone said:
    day said:

I feel like the reason why it all feels worse is because mass media is so much more ever-present in our lives and thus amplifies shit beyond its actual reality.

I was gonna say the same thing in my last post. It makes it a challenge to keep your perspective at times and maybe I've got it all wrong. You can either look at it as exaggerated, or there really is an underlying sense that many people aren't happy in this country.

I agree, we have a long way to go before it's 1968 again. There won't be any rioting until people can't get McDonald's or cable TV. That's when shit will hit the fan.

There's too much survellaince and police presence nowadays for rioting to ever again be anything but an instant deathwish.

Well, if those systems first break down, then yeah...but as long as the powers that be remain in power...fuggitaboudit.

• Options
    mannybolone said:
    Okem said:

There aren't many other democratic countries where brainwashing is so prevalent and accepted.

Don't be so naive.

I'm not out to "defend America" but the idea that we've cornered the global market on ignorance is ridiculous.

But there is a special kind of profound ignorance here. Here's one illustration:

This is a chart showing the acceptance of evolution in the listed countries.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/21329204.html

day said:
    sabadabada said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    mannybolone said:
    day said:

Honestly, my take is that after 8 years of playing offense, it's been weird trying to play defense for barely two years but we are so far far far away from the kind of social turmoil of the 1960s and '70s. I'm not saying shit couldn't blow up but generally speaking, I feel like the reason why it all feels worse is because mass media is so much more ever-present in our lives and thus amplifies shit beyond its actual reality.

Really? I would argue that the transgressions of the Bush-era were equal to or greater than the turmoil of at least the 70s...people went to the streets then for less...

Are we talking about all those transgressions that have been continued by the Obama-era, like Guantanamo, Dont Ask Dont Tell, Government Eavesdropping on Americans, the Afghanistan War, Killing People with Drones, Trying to assassinate American Citizens, etc. Or are we just talking about those transgressions specific to Bush?

"The Obama-era" is less than 2 years old. Yes, he's been wishy washy and failed at times, but some of the things you're talking about can't be magically fixed in that span of time. Don't let that stop you though.

You're only supposed to drink the Kool-Aid, not bathe in it.

• PelvicDust said:
    mannybolone said:
    Okem said:

Don't be so naive.

But there is a special kind of profound ignorance here. Here's one illustration:

Oh yeah! How's all them smarts working out for Iceland? Isn't the whole country bankrupt?

• PelvicDust said:
    InnerSpace said:
    PelvicDust said:
    InnerSpace said:
    So my parents, whom I love, are exactly like these people and it is sad because most of them consider themselves "Christian" and want the nation to go back to Christian values and what "America use to be". They think that they are upholding those values and saying that Islam is the problem, and that we need to get back to what we were when the founding fathers started this country. Fact is they have made Nationalism their religion, not Christianity and denied God by doing this.

They're just doing what every believer I have ever met does. They have crafted a god in their minds that agrees with everything they believe.

Love what both of you have said. As far as what you said Pelvicdust, they are essentially making themselves god. God defines himself very well and is just that, GOD. Place other things as his character including the mythical "blessing of America" as His country and all the other countries are infidels, and you have come up with a false representation of HIM.

How when or where does this "HIM" define itself? I've never seen any reason to think there was a god.

This could go into a lot of "believe what you want" but everyone has their own opinions so I'll just state this: I believe in the Bible. Not that crazy right winged fundamentalist bull. I just believe that God revealed himself through it. I was brought up on some insane notions about God and later found them to be off kilter. When I read back through it, I found all the reasons in the world to believe he exists. And quite honestly it is a great peace to know it. I didn't have to make up a lot of beliefs in my mind, it just made all the existence of the world come to a head. That is why I liked your quote, it is exactly what most people do, define God into something that is their own conjured up belief system rather than God defining himself purely for who he really is. Does that answer your question?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Okem said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:

I don't know Johnny. Asian guy. It's going to make it tough to connect him to the tea-party, they're all white.

Okem said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Okem said:

Maybe it will help if you imagine some of that Benny Hill music is playing while you read it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Okem said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Okem said:

Maybe it will help if you imagine some of that Benny Hill music is playing while you read it.
    Why? Cause you can't actually argue with salient points or facts.

• ""All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions," it reads. "In those programs' places, programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility must be pushed. All former pro-birth programs must now push in the direction of stopping human birth, not encouraging it."

Harveycanal?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    mannybolone said:
    day said:

Really? I would argue that the transgressions of the Bush-era were equal to or greater than the turmoil of at least the 70s...people went to the streets then for less...

Are we talking about all those transgressions that have been continued by the Obama-era, like Guantanamo, Dont Ask Dont Tell, Government Eavesdropping on Americans, the Afghanistan War, Killing People with Drones, Trying to assassinate American Citizens, etc. Or are we just talking about those transgressions specific to Bush?

What does "Trying to assassinate American Citizens" refer to?

As for the rest all are continuation of Bush era policies. Some he is trying to work with congress to change, others (Afghanistan/drones) he has embraced and expanded.

Harvey is right, I am not trying to play offense, just pointing out.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    PelvicDust said:
    mannybolone said:
    Okem said:

Don't be so naive.

Suck it, Turkey! USA! USA! USA!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I don't know Johnny. Asian guy. It's going to make it tough to connect him to the tea-party, they're all white.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/425902_clerk30.html

• LaserWolf said:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/0831/Anwar-al-Awlaki-ACLU-wants-militant-cleric-taken-off-US-kill-list

The US government has linked Anwar al-Awlaki, a US citizen in Yemen, to the Fort Hood shootings and the Christmas Day bombing. But the ACLU filed a lawsuit Monday to stop an alleged plan to assassinate him.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Things are not near as divided or violent as in the 60s into 70s. In my opinion.

We saw the assassination of 4 very high profile leaders.
    Riots, despite the fact that police had shoot to kill orders.
    A systematic campaign to kill or jail Black Panthers and Weather Underground members.
    (BP & WU were serious about revolution in America and were armed and carried out bombings.)
    Protesting students were shot in SC, OH, MS and CA.

The Tea Party and Timothy McViegh and the governments response don't come close to any of that.
    Except that high tech and Bush era rules have greatly increased the gvts ability to spy on us.

As for divided public opinion. Perhaps about the same.
    Segregationist and civil rights supporters, hawks and doves were as opposed to each other as any 2 groups today.

The political parties are much more divided today. Republicans and Ds worked together on both sides of these and other issues.
    There was nothing like foxnews or other partisan media. Broadcast media was barred from taking sides.

• Options
    day said:
    sabadabada said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/425902_clerk30.html

"Brock Stainbrook" would be a good generic term for teabaggers.

"What's going on at the National Mall?"

"Just a bunch of Brock Stainbrooks screaming about taking their country back."

• LaserWolf said:
    Things are not near as divided or violent as in the 60s into 70s. In my opinion.

A systematic campaign to kill or jail Black Panthers and Weather Underground members.
    (BP & WU were serious about revolution in America and were armed and carried out bombings.)

The Tea Party and Timothy McViegh and the governments response don't come close to any of that.
    Except that high tech and Bush era rules have greatly increased the gvts ability to spy on us.

Segregationist and civil rights supporters, hawks and doves were as opposed to each other as any 2 groups today.

The political parties are much more divided today. Republicans and Ds worked together on both sides of these and other issues.
    There was nothing like foxnews or other partisan media. Broadcast media was barred from taking sides.

Its not so much that the parties are more divided today. But today the federal government is so pervasive that the stakes are higher. Do you think the people of rural Mississippi want to live according to the opinions of the people living on the upper West Side? About as much as all of you would want to live according to the opinions of the rural Mississippians. Used to be that individuals in a community could express these preferences through their local and state governments. Nowadays, so many of the things that were once local, schools, roads, parks, environment, commerce is dictated by the federal government, so there is no other forum in which a person can make a meaningful difference.

• LaserWolf said:

http://www.aclu.org/national-security/al-aulaqi-v-obama-complaint

I think now more than ever calling your opponent names is passing for political discourse.

• Options
    sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:

Its not so much that the parties are more divided today. But today the federal government is so pervasive that the stakes are higher. Do you think the people of rural Mississippi want to live according to the opinions of the people living on the upper West Side? About as much as all of you would want to live according to the opinions of the rural Mississippians. Used to be that individuals in a community could express these preferences through their local and state governments. Nowadays, so many of the things that were once local, schools, roads, parks, environment, commerce is dictated by the federal government, so there is no other forum in which a person can make a meaningful difference.

Ah, for the good old days when local folks could get salmonella with their eggs without some damn revenooer getting in the way! And you can hardly get away with killing those pesky civil rights workers anymore.

"Boy, the way Glen Miller played. Songs that made the hit parade.
    Guys like us, we had it made. Those were the days.
    Didn't need no welfare state. Everybody pulled his weight.
    Gee, our old LaSalle ran great. Those were the days.
    And you know who you were then, girls were girls and men were men.
    Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.
    People seemed to be content. Fifty dollars paid the rent.
    Freaks were in a circus tent. Those were the days.
    Take a little Sunday spin, go to watch the Dodgers win.
    Have yourself a dandy day that cost you under a fin.
    Hair was short and skirts were long. Kate Smith really sold a song.
    I don't know just what went wrong. Those Were The Days."

Okem said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Okem said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Okem said:

Why? Cause you can't actually argue with salient points or facts.

Exactly.

smh

It was a joke.....ya know, like Monty Python and that little dude on Benny Hill......I suggested that voting Susan Boyle as some sort of "Idol" was brainwashing.

Comedy is not good when it has to be explained.....my apologies.