..popular drummers whose style you don't like..

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Harvey Mason

Billy Cobham

Comments

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Cosine on the Harvey Mason. I can't really stand his drumming on Blackbyrd. Maybe the Mizell Bros. are more to blame for that sound though.

I'd pick Keith Moon, but that's a latte pass. I think we've already had a bunch of threads talking about Keith Moon's 'meh' drumming.

• Carter Beauford. Unsightly amount of drums being hit in just a few seconds for no good reason.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Strider79it said:
    Billy Cobham

why?

• unityunity 179 Posts
    left-handed hatt????

• batmon said:
    Strider79it said:
    Billy Cobham

why?

not sure why , but his distinctive way of playin really don't move me... the cymbals maybe ?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Alex Van Halen?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Bernard Purdie

• Soulhawk said:
    Bernard Purdie

c'mon ...I don't believe it

alll that "boom...bap, boom bap" shit is a pure yawnfest

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    Bernard Purdie

not surprised you would say this. pushing buttons!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Meg White. Way too sloppy.

Never mind, she's really not popular.

Steve Gadd too

pretty much anyone who played with Steely Dan really

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Strider79it said:
    Harvey Mason

What's your take on Mason's drumming on Herbie Hancock's Chameleon?

• Soulhawk said:
    Bernard Purdie

Give me Muhammad any day. Idris that is

I also don't like Lenny White - really screwed up Hubbard's Red Clay.

Jack Dejohnette too

• batmon said:
    Strider79it said:
    Harvey Mason

What's your take on Mason's drumming on Herbie Hancock's Chameleon?

Gotta defend Mason. Master of atmosphere - check out the long middle section in Chameleon - takes it beyond pure funk whilst never losing the groove

• tabira said:
    Soulhawk said:
    Bernard Purdie

Jack Dejohnette too

Do you just not like a lot of cymbal work? Dejohnette and White are both like Tony Williams in that way. I love Dejohnette on Joe Henderson's Power to the People. Fits that album really well. And I don't know if anything could ruin Red Clay, come on!

• InnerSpace said:
    tabira said:
    Soulhawk said:
    Bernard Purdie

Jack Dejohnette too

Do you just not like a lot of cymbal work? Dejohnette and White are both like Tony Williams in that way. I love Dejohnette on Joe Henderson's Power to the People. Fits that album really well. And I don't know if anything could ruin Red Clay, come on!

True I'm not a cymbal lover but still Power to the People is one of the few LPs where I like De Jonnette's playing. Red Clay's a classic but don't let that blind you to below par playing - you only need to hear most of the other versions to realise that Lenny White missed a major opportunity. I'm not just saying that because some of them are "funkier" than his, but because he was neither funky, nor swinging, just a lame beat that didn't do justice to a great composition. Still he was only 22 at the time and I think it was one of his first sessions

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    I can't believe that the first two posts on this mentioned my favourite drummer of all time, Harvey Mason.
    I know it's subjective and all, but you both need to listen to more of his playing - I think he is truly one of the funkiest, most stylish drummers there's ever been. I don't think he's ever come across as an overpowering 'fusion' drummer, the way somebody like Billy Cobham can. The other thing about Harvey is that he pays so much attention to the timbre of his kit, tuning his toms much more than most. Check out 'Modaji' from his Marching In The Streets album to hear how sonorous they are. He influenced a lot of my digging for a while as I went through his discography - that's him on the classic Sylvers albums, massive numbers of mid 70's Blue Note, Prestige LPs - and of course Headhunters.

This is Harvey Mason on drums with the Jacksons (Mizell produced)

Harvey is one of the greatest drummers of all time - RECOGNISE!

• this thread is the worst of looks.

Ringo Starr

plays the same beat for every single Beatles song

• RAJ said:
    Alex Van Halen?

I would argue that he is one of the most underrated rock drummers...my vote goes to Neil Peart, dude has never made my foot tap once, hate his style, so non swinging

• tabira said:
    InnerSpace said:
    tabira said:
    Soulhawk said:
    Bernard Purdie

Jack Dejohnette too

True I'm not a cymbal lover but still Power to the People is one of the few LPs where I like De Jonnette's playing. Red Clay's a classic but don't let that blind you to below par playing - you only need to hear most of the other versions to realise that Lenny White missed a major opportunity. I'm not just saying that because some of them are "funkier" but because he was neither funky, nor jazzy, just a lame beat that didn't do justice to a great composition. Still I think he was only 19 at the time and it was one of his first sessions

Yeah, I'm not a crazy White fan but Love Love Love Red Clay. And you might be right about his other playing. But maybe dig into Dejohnette's side gigs: Jackie Mclean- Demon's Dance and Miles Davis- Bitches' Brew for example. Can't go wrong with either of those.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Questlove.

• TomO said:
    I ..Harvey Mason...
    The other thing about Harvey is that he pays so much attention to the timbre of his kit, tuning his toms much more than most. Check out 'Modaji' from his Marching In The Streets album to hear how sonorous they are!

Modaji is a good example of the way I don't like him... that toms fill is nice, but he doesn't do much in that version (monotonous steady hi hat).

.. well, check out Modaji on Dave Grusin "One of a Kind" Lp instead, how Steve Gadd give a different spin (better imo) to that great composition...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Gadd and ?uest called out in here purely as a result of t3h Strut's almost universal hatred of The Dan and The Soulquarians. ?uest gets some gigs because of his hair but pls 2b srs... These cats can play. Mason? Come on, for Chameleon alone he gets a lifetime pass. That is ill drumming.

I have gone cool on Dennis Chambers. Sometimes it seems just too much.

• Soulhawk said:
    Ringo Starr

plays the same beat for every single Beatles song

you could say the same of Matt Cameron, who play the same beat for every single Pearl Jam song...

it seems he regressed since his Soundgarden days.....

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Alex Van Halen?

Really?

This is my personal fav, sounds like John Bonham sitting in with Gary Numan:

• Steve Gadd? That's ludicrous...

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Strider79it said:
    TomO said:
    I ..Harvey Mason...
    The other thing about Harvey is that he pays so much attention to the timbre of his kit, tuning his toms much more than most. Check out 'Modaji' from his Marching In The Streets album to hear how sonorous they are!

Modaji is a good example of the way I don't like him... that toms fill is nice, but he doesn't do much in that version (monotonous steady hi hat).

.. well, check out Modaji on Dave Grusin "One of a Kind" Lp instead, how Steve Gadd give a different spin (better imo) to that great composition...

We'll have to agree to disagree! I don't understand what you think a drummer should be doing in a song like Modaji (it's quiet, laid back) - to my mind the hi hat is not monotonous - Harvey is in fact doing what he does every time he plays - playing musically, listening to the other players and reacting, and playing something that sounds just right, *with feeling*. Some of the grooves he holds down are ridiculous, and it's a testament to his musicality that he's not flossing his technique every time he sits at the kit (like some do). It's a bit like saying 'Miles isn't that great a trumpeter, there's this one song where he only plays a few notes, it's really boring!' It's not just what Harvey plays, it's how he plays it. If you want to hear what Harvey *can* do, then listen to 'Shiftless Shuffle' from the Mr Hands album (if you haven't already) - it was culled from the 1973 recording session for 'Headhunters' (they recorded 8 tracks and only had space for 4 on the eventual LP). If you don't like his playing then you've got a problem, because he's on thousands of excellent albums!

• J i m s t e r said:
    Mason? Come on, for Chameleon alone he gets a lifetime pass. That is ill drumming.