The "Recommend a Slept-On Album that Can Be Found Cheap" Thread

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
The idea is to let people know a record they may otherwise flip past is actually pretty dope:

I got this one at a thrift for $1 with very low expectations, but this album rules.

Mellow guitar/bass interplay over some very nice drums on some tracks.

The Bach tracks are very cool in their own right as well.

Fans of "Jazz Raga" by Gabor Szabo will definitely feel this one.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Been recommending this one for 19 years now. Right in the Bill Withers folk-soul bag. He's still around, too...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

In most dollar bins, the track 'She Didn't Lie' is beautiful.

Beats yo.

nzshadow said:

In most dollar bins, the track 'She Didn't Lie' is beautiful.

Massive cosign on this. Jeffreys' Ghost Writer was a good one, as well. This included his cult classic "Wild In The Streets."

After you get past the two hit singles (printed in boldface on the cover), this is more psychedelic than you'd expect.

• "on the corner" mode but much tighter and less aimless...

"slow dance on the killing floor"

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    BAN

B/W

despite the folky drawings of acoustic guitars on the front and back covers, and the cornball Harry Chapin-esque album title, this LP is actually funked-up soul jazz from the early 70's with a great band including Cornell Dupree and Ray Barretto. I'm sure it would fall under "tacky funk" for many, but if this LP were on Blue Note it would get sweated, and I have found multiple copies all over the place, for $5 or less every time. I bet if you bid on one on eBay you could get it for like $4. Try getting Jack Wilkins for $4 ...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

Good all the way through.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    OK It's very well known to a lot of people but it's also dirt cheap and common as muck so I wonder how if any new generation beat heads pass it up. If it was on Eastbound it would go for 200$. The first track is mind blowing.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    grover washington jr is the obvious mascot for this thread

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Here's a couple a bit more in the rock vein...

Crosby's solo is definitely not as slept on anymore as it once was, but if you don't already have this one and flip past it make sure to grab it up.
    Amazing playing and songs.

Absolutely beautiful playing by the Youngbloods on this LP.
    Just beware that once you get a copy you may feel impelled to keep buying every copy you see just to get the cleanest sounding one you can find.

tabira said:
    OK It's very well known to a lot of people but it's also dirt cheap and common as muck so I wonder how if any new generation beat heads pass it up. If it was on Eastbound it would go for 200$. The first track is mind blowing.

This was Grover's first album, and it's funky like a BITCH. Not quite as cheesy as what he became known for later.

And while we're dwelling on the Kudu label, I may as well cop a plea for Alone Again Naturally and From A Whisper To A Scream, both by Esther Phillips.

SoulOnIce said:
    BAN

B/W

despite the folky drawings of acoustic guitars on the front and back covers, and the cornball Harry Chapin-esque album title, this LP is actually funked-up soul jazz from the early 70's with a great band including Cornell Dupree and Ray Barretto. I'm sure it would fall under "tacky funk" for many, but if this LP were on Blue Note it would get sweated, and I have found multiple copies all over the place, for $5 or less every time. I bet if you bid on one on eBay you could get it for like $4. Try getting Jack Wilkins for $4 ...

I gotta get my ass out to Boston, then, because I've never seen this. At. All.

Heard of it, seen pictures of it, been on the lookout for it, read an old interview with Berliner where he made reference to it, have a Mainstream various-artists compilation that has a really good track from it, but have yet to hold one in my hands. Off to eBay I go!!!

BTW, the Mainstream-label comp I mentioned is a real good dollar-binner, itself...it's titled The Guitar Players. It's a very weird selection that goes way past being "eclectic" and winds up being "a bunch of people that have nothing in common except being guitar players who recorded for Mainstream," but if you can handle urbane jazz pickers, rural blues cats, and Ted Nugent screaming away on the Amboy Dukes'"Baby Please Don't Go," all on the same platter, it's a good listen.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    goatboy said:
    Here's a couple a bit more in the rock vein...

Crosby's solo is definitely not as slept on anymore as it once was, but if you don't already have this one and flip past it make sure to grab it up.
    Amazing playing and songs.

Goatboy, long time no see fella.

It was a thread here that hipped me to this album, it now lives in my 'i really should file these back' pile, but it never makes it back to the expedit, A solid favorite.

• that berliner lp is good and although it certainly turns up from time to time, its not dollarbincommon.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Anamaria e Mauricio Vol 2.

$29.99 two copies available

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANAMARIA-MAURICIO-Vol-2-REISSUE-LP-ARTHUR-VEROCAI-/220638810884?pt=Music_on_Vinyl

An excellent LP from first track to last.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Just about everything in this series:

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

• pickwick33 said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    BAN

B/W

Heard of it, seen pictures of it, been on the lookout for it, read an old interview with Berliner where he made reference to it, have a Mainstream various-artists compilation that has a really good track from it, but have yet to hold one in my hands. Off to eBay I go!!!

yeah, i was gonna say, i'd take a copy for five bucks!

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=jay+berliner+bananas&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• double post

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    tabira said:

Please be serious.

Neither good nor slept on.

PUB ROCK'S LAST STAND.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    walter_chron said:
    pickwick33 said:

yeah, i was gonna say, i'd take a copy for five bucks!

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=jay+berliner+bananas&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I said in auction ... dudes floating it out there for $20 - $30 with no takers is not indicative of it's auction price ... I'm just saying, I had two dupes in trade/sale boxes for a while and finally had to FORCE them on friends (just ask AxeFoley from the Strut) ... I guarantee if someone put it up for auction with a $5 minimum bid it could be won for that amount. Anyway, yes I had that same Mainstream guitar comp - that was what made me look out for the Berliner LP in the first place~

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    tabira said:

Please be serious.

Typical Faux - taking pop shots from the parapets. Like I care what you think.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Not really that slept on, but I see it everywhere, and its got some jams and breakz you can play out.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    BAN

Kashif on the beat? Shit is hot...get familiar

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    tabira said:
    faux_rillz said:
    tabira said:

Please be serious.

Typical Faux - taking pop shots from the parapets. Like I care what you think.

Let's be clear: all you little dudes hold your breath until I speak on an album

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    BAN

B/W

Just put one out for $8 two days ago.