The "Recommend a Slept-On Album that Can Be Found Cheap" Thread

13»

Comments

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    Santana "Welcome"
    Few tracks maybe be a little bit cheesy but it's a great brazilian fusion LP

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    goatboy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    until I started to feel reaaaally lonely haha.

Hola, compadre.
    Count me in as one of the 3%.

I'm a three-percenter.

But I blame my gf.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    I have the Crosby on mp3 today. Not yet "Spun" it. This is progress, I gather?

I'll be hitting the bong next.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    There are some interesting, much-appreciated recommendations here, but I have to say that in more than a decade of weekly dollar bin and flea market visits and buying up personal collections, I've never seen a handful of these records (the first three of the thread, for starters). I'm sure they could all be had for a dollar when a copy turns up but, then, so could almost any record. What about narrowing to bargain records that you've seen a minimum of ten times or something?

Something like:

or

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    erewhon said:
    There are some interesting, much-appreciated recommendations here, but I have to say that in more than a decade of weekly dollar bin and flea market visits and buying up personal collections, I've never seen a handful of these records (the first three of the thread, for starters). I'm sure they could all be had for a dollar when a copy turns up but, then, so could almost any record. What about narrowing to bargain records that you've seen a minimum of ten times or something?

Erewhon, I hear you on that. But, I guess we can put it down to record collecting being regional. I'm not doubting you or anyone in this thread about what they've seen on a regular basis, but I genuinely think it varies from city to city, in some cases. See my comments about the Jay Berliner album mentioned earlier. I've shopped at every used store from one end of Chicago to another and I know damn well I've never laid hands on that one...but it might be different elsewhere? I don't know...

I posted one of the first three albums in this thread, and let me tell you, Meet Mississippi Charles Bevel definitely fits the criteria. When I used to work in a used record store in the nineties, we ALWAYS had a copy of this on hand (and not the same one, either). It always seemed to linger around other stores as well, for $5 and under, and yet the rare-groove set always passed it by. So, if I saw it ten times back in 1991, I've probably seen it 1000 times by now.

I'm guessing it's a common record because it was recorded here in Chicago, and one of the songs was a minor local hit ("Sally B. White"). I haven't checked for it in a long time, but I'm quite sure it's still making the local rounds. Don't know if anyone else outside of the city limits has seen this on the regular, though...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    erewhon said:

Erewhon, I hear you on that. But, I guess we can put it down to record collecting being regional. I'm not doubting you or anyone in this thread about what they've seen on a regular basis, but I genuinely think it varies from city to city, in some cases. See my comments about the Jay Berliner album mentioned earlier. I've shopped at every used store from one end of Chicago to another and I know damn well I've never laid hands on that one...but it might be different elsewhere? I don't know...

I posted one of the first three albums in this thread, and let me tell you, Meet Mississippi Charles Bevel definitely fits the criteria. When I used to work in a used record store in the nineties, we ALWAYS had a copy of this on hand (and not the same one, either). It always seemed to linger around other stores as well, for $5 and under, and yet the rare-groove set always passed it by. So, if I saw it ten times back in 1991, I've probably seen it 1000 times by now.

I'm guessing it's a common record because it was recorded here in Chicago, and one of the songs was a minor local hit ("Sally B. White"). I haven't checked for it in a long time, but I'm quite sure it's still making the local rounds. Don't know if anyone else outside of the city limits has seen this on the regular, though...

Word. The local digging experience is definately a huge factor. That's something I don't think I would have fully appreciated had I not moved from a so-so digging city to a great one.

By the way, I meant to agree with you about liking what I've heard of those "Rhythm and Blues Oldies" series records, although I've only ever turned up two of them: Louis Jordan (Vol 1) and Pee Wee Crayton (Vol 5). I've never really been able to get more info on them.

This is another one that comes to mind that I slept on myself for a few years, but the production is so lush and beautiful:

I even slept on the cover art. At first glance it looked like a throwaway, but it has really grown on me.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    vinegar said:
    Santana "Welcome"
    Few tracks maybe be a little bit cheesy but it's a great brazilian fusion LP

That's my favourite Santana album. Alice Coltrane, Flora Purim, Leon Thomas, John McLaughlin...cosmic jazz for days.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts