Guide to the New Strut

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Currently, embedding youtube clips or other video effs up the page layout, on pc's, not on macs. Makes it very annoying to read the threads? Can this be fixed?

It's a Firefox PC problem (IE is fine). Something to do with the script that takes the embed code and puts it in a div. Raj you have DIV nesting issues.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Currently, embedding youtube clips or other video effs up the page layout, on pc's, not on macs. Makes it very annoying to read the threads? Can this be fixed?

What version of Firefox are you on? Can you attach a screen shot?

I look at the "Post a Banger thread" which is Youtube heavy on the latest version of Firefox using a PC and all seems to be fine.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    RAJ said:
    staxwax said:

I look at the "Post a Banger thread" which is Youtube heavy on the latest version of Firefox using a PC and all seems to be fine.

Yeah, PC/Firefox/Windows XP and no problems at all for me.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    RAJ said:
    staxwax said:

ok ill post screen grabs - i acces the site from different platforms and keep noticing this on certain pc's - I'll only be able to do so on tuesday or wednesday tho

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    RAJ said:
    staxwax said:

So these are shots from the 'rap you're liking' thread in the latest version of firefox (firefox 3.0.11) on an old dell pc (like, 7 years old)
    The far left corner of the pics is the far left corner of the screen - page margins dissappear after embedding...

hope this helps...

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Hey Raj, not sure if this has been addressed, but when I search for e.g. Stark Reality, the results appear, I click on "Now," and there's another page where I have to click "Now" again. I assume this is because there could be another review/page for the same album? Well, if there isn't, couldn't it take you directly to the review itself?

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Nice Raj!

After a long hiatus, I resurface (not that anyone noticed my absence). Much improved format, for me at least.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the site is so ill now that i've gotten used to it
    love the front page and new features...all of our strut dreams come true

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Feeling the new look Raj.

Only problem I've noticed is when we click links in a thread we get directed away from the page instead of a new window opening.

Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    Feeling the new look Raj.

Only problem I've noticed is when we click links in a thread we get directed away from the page instead of a new window opening.

tet

• hi guys,

question must have been already asked but......
    why isn't it possible to download the mixes?

i think it's a shame because:
    1. i can't take them with me on my ipod ;)
    2. what about bandwidth? if someone listen to the same mix 10 or 20 times,doesn't it waste bandwidth?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Not a crit, but an observation...

I think that on the old Strut, a good feature of threads was that you could reply to specific posts without needing to quote, which kind of avoided confusion as to who your response might be aimed at. Now, I feel that I have to unnecessarily quote blocks of text with the username bit so people know who/what I'm talking about.

While this isn't massively important, I feel it slows down the 'conversation feel' to some threads, and with people saying they see less on their screens (more scrolling), extra text won't help.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I miss being able to click on a thread and it will go to the first unread post. Now I click on the last page of a thread and read backwards until I get where I started.

Gary said:
    I miss being able to click on a thread and it will go to the first unread post. Now I click on the last page of a thread and read backwards until I get where I started.

click on the little arrow in Latest Post Info

• <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    was googling a rare record and one of the first results was a classified ad here.. which will expire in two days. soulstrut has a lot of credibility both with record folks and search engines, i noticed the tail end of the URL had the artist name and title name which is big for search rankings.

you might want to think beyond the 7-8 day cycle of ebay listings, even if the majority of classified ad revenue comes from ebayers. the thing is, many users here might be very inclined to pay $5 or $10 to post a set sale ad that falls off the classified page in 8 days but isn't deleted, remaining in google search in perpetuity.

i'm not advocating a discogs or GEMM overstuffed/overpriced model but it would be nice to be able to toss up a couple raers at just under market price or request trade offers knowing you might get a PM or email three months down the line. and remember set sale posts are a form of content, lurkers who missed a good one will be more motivated to check more often or even reg, buy more, and feed the cycle of people listing classifieds.

all i'm suggesting is not auto-deleting classifieds, but reducing their on-site visibility as you're already doing.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Raj, I'm curious, it's been a couple of months now since the change - have you noticed any signifigant differences in traffic/demogrpahic/usage? The board definitely slowed down (traffic-wise) initially after the change, but seems to have picked up quite a bit lately.

SoulOnIce said:
    Raj, I'm curious, it's been a couple of months now since the change - have you noticed any signifigant differences in traffic/demogrpahic/usage? The board definitely slowed down (traffic-wise) initially after the change, but seems to have picked up quite a bit lately.

Traffic has actually dropped a bunch (like 40%). Moving the board over to a different platform killed all my Google referral traffic (like the weirdos who popped in the Fat Joe and Popeye's Chicken threads). At this point, I have been doing some Search Engine Optimization tactics to get that traffic back.... not that we really need them, but it would be good from advertising perspectives.

Membership and Advertising Revenue has remained strong, though... which in the reality is what matters to me.

With all that being said, it was worth it for me to make the switch.... even if I lost a few people. I learned A LOT in the process that has benefited my professional skills... plus I enjoy the fact that the site is easier to maintain and user submitted content is flowing strongly.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Super petty observation here, but...

I dig the prestige of being a premium member, but kind of wish the banner wasn't covering one corner of my avatar.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    any news on an Iphone app? the new site is a bit precarious to navigate on the iphone...mostly my hotdog fingers hitting classifieds in the sidebar when I try to scroll and accidently hitting the breadcrums at the bottom of a page when i am trying to post a reply...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I can't see avatars next to thread titles in the main CDR forum index. I'm using Google Chrome. In Firefox it works fine.

The_Hook_Up said:
    any news on an Iphone app? the new site is a bit precarious to navigate on the iphone...mostly my hotdog fingers hitting classifieds in the sidebar when I try to scroll and accidently hitting the breadcrums at the bottom of a page when i am trying to post a reply...

iPhone app has been delayed. I started working on it immediately after I launched the site and my brain was too fried. My job has been super busy too... so Im trying to regain some sanity before I jump into it. It's coming though.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Gary said:

doesn't take you to the first unread poast though, does it? going to the latest poast still requires you to read backwards, which is a big pain in the arse. it actually WAS going to the first unread poast for a minute when the new site debuted, wasn't it? I seem to remember that.

and i'm sure someone has already asked, but is there no way to get the locations back? the locations was my main reason for even poasting at all on SS :freeway:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I Had Sex With The Lyn Christopher Record said:
    RAJ said:
    Gary said:

doesn't take you to the first unread poast though, does it? going to the latest poast still requires you to read backwards, which is a big pain in the arse. it actually WAS going to the first unread poast for a minute when the new site debuted, wasn't it? I seem to remember that.

and i'm sure someone has already asked, but is there no way to get the locations back? the locations was my main reason for even poasting at all on SS :freeway:

Didn't you invent using locations for quotes?

cosine on last post read. The little arrow takes you to the last post in the thread, not the last post I read.
    Old site remembered my last read post and took me to the first new one.

Dan

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I'm trapped in iPhone strut even on my Laptop. HALP!

musica said:
    I'm trapped in iPhone strut even on my Laptop. HALP!

Yeah... I see this.

Scroll down to the bottom and switch the theme.

:grin:

The_Hook_Up said:

I "whipped" up an iPhone Web App that's in its infant stages.

It is LIVE and usable if you want to navigate your iphone to it.

A couple of quarks:

(1) If you use SS on your iphone and computer, you will have to switch themes (unless you fancy using the Mobile Theme all the time).

(2) Iphone Web App is EXTREMELY stripped down. No PMs, No Quoting, No Member profiles, No Search. Bare essentials. You do have the ability to switch to another theme to have all these features back, BUT it won't be as iphone friendly.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Didn't you invent using locations for quotes?

Yep, that was me. One of my favorite Soulstrut things. Really miss it.

• I couldn't find anything in a search but......... is there a show who's online anywhere? Or whatever it's called. Where you can see who's viewing what post.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    OK, fixed. Thanks whoever did that.