The BP Oil Leak

124»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm with Harvey.
    Business should be barred from influencing representatives of the people.

I also agree with everyone who says the government has not done enough to deal with this.

From electric cars, to oversight, to clean up, to lifting the cap on damages.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    for starters the gov't could do something about hiring regulators who don't do meth and take gifts from oil companies:

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/citybusiness-blog/?p=1326

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts
    *waves hands towards the gulf stream*

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I'm with Harvey.

I also agree with everyone who says the government has not done enough to deal with this.

Not all lobyists represent big business. The Gay/Lesbian lobby is a very powerful lobby as is AARP and hundreds of lobbyists representing smaller trade groups made up of thousands of small business. Why is it that whenever democrats get control, they immediately start trying to shut down the democratic process.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    I'm with Harvey.

Not all lobyists represent big business. The Gay/Lesbian lobby is a very powerful lobby as is AARP and hundreds of lobbyists representing smaller trade groups made up of thousands of small business. Why is it that whenever democrats get control, they immediately start trying to shut down the democratic process.

I'm a little unclear on how anything mentioned here shuts down the democratic process.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Speaking of BP, my BP went up after watching this segment on youtube:

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    "all they get better at it making the risks worse"
    tragic

sad fact is this shit will keep happening and people will keep dealing with the fallout as we keep going about our daily lives,completely dependent on cheap oil. i dont see any real way to change this

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    What's funny, is up here in Canada (While all this stuff is happening). BP is trying to get the government to lift its tight rules for drilling and safety.

That's not funny...

fuckers

that shit should be highly publicized

Unfortunately it's not.

thanks man i posted it up on fbook

http://www.truthout.org/screw-environment-bp-and-audacity-corporate-greed59864

birds caught in oil here in the gulf, Boston.com pics here: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/caught_in_the_oil.html

and i know y'all caught Palin's comments blaming environmentalists right?!?

SMH

new estimates released today about how much oil was ACTUALLY spewing out since April?

2 MILLION FUCKING GALLONS A DAY!! it's almost beyond comprehension to me...

http://www.wdsu.com/money/23866765/detail.html

:face_melt:

and for more insanity, there's this Rolling Stone article about the gov't "regulators"

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/111965

Okay everybody, put your imagination caps on, and Hopenchange will show you how the oil spill is all the fault of those flinty hearted republicans.

In an interview with POLITICO, the president said:

???I think it???s fair to say, if six months ago, before this spill had happened, I had gone up to Congress and I had said we need to crack down a lot harder on oil companies and we need to spend more money on technology to respond in case of a catastrophic spill, there are folks up there, who will not be named, who would have said this is classic, big-government overregulation and wasteful spending.???

See, It doesn't matter that he did nothing, because he would have been powerless against the folks in Congress. And there's no need to talk to anyone, because he already knows what they are going to say.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Do you agree with Palin that it's the fault of environmentalists?

Duderonomy said:

No. It's the president's fault for allowing his administration to give BP a pass on already existing regulations because BP was a big contributor to his campaign for president.

sabadabada said:
    Duderonomy said:

No. It's the president's fault for allowing his administration to give BP a pass on already existing regulations because BP was a big contributor to his campaign for president.

That's hardly something new though. Politics is in industry's pocket, so I don't think there's any point in blaming an individual for the way things have been running for the last... century?
    The blame game is a lot of hot air, but writes headlines.
    Would be nice to see BP pick up the tab for all of this mess, but I'm guessing that as usual the point of concern lies not with the environmental cost, but TAX DOLLARS (wailing and gnashing of teeth - "who's gonna pay? Tell me who's gonna paaaaaay!"). The horror.

Duderonomy said:
    sabadabada said:
    Duderonomy said:

That's hardly something new though. Politics is in industry's pocket, so I don't think there's any point in blaming an individual for the way things have been running for the last... century?
    The blame game is a lot of hot air, but writes headlines.
    Would be nice to see BP pick up the tab for all of this mess, but I'm guessing that as usual the point of concern lies not with the environmental cost, but TAX DOLLARS (wailing and gnashing of teeth - "who's gonna pay? Tell me who's gonna paaaaaay!"). The horror.

The blame game has served the democratic party well for the last nine years, but I can see the advantage in changing one's tune now. But riddle me this. Why do we need more government regulation, when the regulations already on the books aren't even being enforced? And, how is the federal government going to manage healthcare, mortgages, student loans, pension plans, when they can't even do the things they are supposed to be doing effectively?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    you have to bring criminal charges against the regulators that allow oil companies to fill out their own safety inspections (to my knowledge, that is what happened), clean house of the regulators...get new folks in there. Mandate a regulation that makes companies spend a certain percentage of profits on R/D of safety modifications and audit those motherfuckers EVERY SIX MONTHS...make them report all of their progress on safety modifications every six months...no progress...no permit. Since there is a reported "75,000" folks looking to be out of work because of the moratorium...put them to work on modifying the rigs as the developers come up with new safety modifications. All of this smokescreen crying about jobs is bullshit. Sorry, but it isnt worth destroying the planet so some roughneck can make his motorcycle payment.

So Obama has put the cost at $34 BILLION, wants to be seen as keen to "make 'em pay". Environmental disaster, and a lot of people out of pocket.

What would Obama's bill for Bhopal/Union Carbide be? A few trillion?

• edubedub 715 Posts
    been reading some of these articles over here:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=19660

it's making me sick how this is being politicized, but there's definitely some shady shit going on.

if this leak will really take years to stop I'm sayin' it's game over for much of the Atlantic coastline - not just in US, but also Europe

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The blame game has served the democratic party well for the last nine years, but I can see the advantage in changing one's tune now. But riddle me this. Why do we need more government regulation, when the regulations already on the books aren't even being enforced? And, how is the federal government going to manage healthcare, mortgages, student loans, pension plans, when they can't even do the things they are supposed to be doing effectively?

Classic bait and switch tactics here. "We can't have new regs because the old one's aren't being enforced". Uh, to borrow a phrase, yes we can. In fact, we need both better enforcement of what is on the books already and lots of new, stronger regulations that will deter and prevent the kinds of corruption that lead to this problem. For example, current regulations only allow for damages of 75mil in cases of oil spills. Clearly that is not going to work in this case. On top of all that Slababaroo fails to mention that the people who cut the nuts off of the MMS regulators are GOP admins that he always supports. Does he have any outrage about their actions? Of course not. Crocodile tears as per usual.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    At least we can finally put this "the oil has vanished!" BS behind us:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100820/NEWS/8200316

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    So Obama has put the cost at $34 BILLION, wants to be seen as keen to "make 'em pay". Environmental disaster, and a lot of people out of pocket.

What would Obama's bill for Bhopal/Union Carbide be? A few trillion?

THIS.

Duder, Bhopal related: have you seen the Yesmen doco?