The BP Oil Leak

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
These were taken by a guy on a flight from Florida to Arizona. Fuck.

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    We're fucked by water (oil spill) and by flight (volcano). The END is coming people!!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I saw these on another board so I have no legit source for them. Some folks are saying it's marshland, but I find that hard to believe (especially after the 2nd picture). Any way it goes, this is bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP#Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

On May 11, 2010, Congress called the executives of BP, Transocean, and Halliburton to a hearing regarding the oil spill. When probed for answers regarding the events leading up to the explosion, each company blamed the other. BP blamed Transocean who owned the rig, who then blamed the operators of the rig, BP. They also blamed Halliburton, who built the well casing.[55]

Scientists have been requesting the right to monitor the amount of oil that is actually being released per day, but "'The answer is no to that,' a BP spokesman, Tom Mueller, said[/b] on Saturday, May 15. 'We?re not going to take any extra efforts now to calculate flow there at this point. It?s not relevant to the response effort, and it might even detract from the response effort.'[56]

Steven Wereley, an associate professor of mechanical engineering at Purdue University, analyzed videotape of the leak using particle image velocimetry and estimated oil flow rates at between 56,000 barrels to 84,000 barrels per day, [57] or equivalent to one Exxon Valdez spill every 3.5 to 2.4 days.[/b]

A second, smaller leak has been estimated to be releasing 25,000 barrels per day by itself [58], suggesting that the total size of the leak may well be in excess of 100,000 barrels per day and could possibly be one of the largest oil spills in history and the worst man-made disaster recorded.[/b]

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Regardless if these pics show the oil or marshland, it's still the fact that it's there. Millions of gallons are there and visible. Extremely bad situation!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    It's extremely fucked up how BP is dealing with all this.

From the CEO saying shit like "The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume".

To them constantly playing off how much oil is flowing.

To the one where I think it was a CBS news crew showing up to film on the shore and a BP boat rolling up with Coast Guard people on board telling them they have to leave or they will get arrested.

It's been a month and oil is still flowing...

Oi...

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/05/22/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T2

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    This is so fucked, haven't been keeping up with the news. Is there a BP boycott yet? Are people still buying gas their? Would it even matter at this point? These pictures and estimations are shocking.

• who cares really? oil leaks and spills are the most over hyped ecological 'disasters' ever. Oh noes the pelicans are dirty!!! I CRY NOW

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Why do you post here? I don't understand it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    why are you not BANNED yet? (hopefully SS 2.0 can have a ban-o-metre) enough votes and like G rap said
    ya lose!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    who cares really? oil leaks and spills are the most over hyped ecological 'disasters' ever. Oh noes the pelicans are dirty!!! I CRY NOW

Why don't you head down there and go for a long swim?

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts
    It's extremely fucked up how BP

+ US government
    + mass media worldwide

is dealing with all this.

Some people say that this happening marks the beginning end of USD currency
    and the things going on in europe (euro drama) are just constucted to cover that whole topic.

Totally wrong scenario?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    this is a severely depressing situation
    i really hope BP and haliburton suffer permanent damage from this

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    who cares really? oil leaks and spills are the most over hyped ecological 'disasters' ever. Oh noes the pelicans are dirty!!! I CRY NOW

Why don't you head down there and go for a long swim?

We could charge tickets for who could be first in line with a book of matches.

• Allowing BP to manage this crisis is irresponsible and unforgivable. Obama's administration is inept.

• analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
    that's a scary look, I still can't belive that so much has leaked into the ocean. BP needs to start digging deep into there DEEEEEEEEEP pockets and take care of all that have been affected by this

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Some people say that this happening marks the beginning end of USD currency
    and the things going on in europe (euro drama) are just constucted to cover that whole topic.

Totally wrong scenario?

Let me guess, Mr. Kraut, you are in Europe? Yes, the U.S. diabolically constructed a bank crisis across the Euro Zone in an effort to delay the "beginning of the end" of the dollar. Crazy talk. More like: Greece's unbelievable kush lifestyle perhaps isn't as sustainable as we once thought.

Let us not forget that BP -- British Petroleum, Beyond Petroleum, whatever -- is an English company.

I agree there is not the sense of urgency in cleaning up this mess that most of the country would like.

Purely from a logistical standpoint, this is an extremely difficult story for the media to cover -- involving underwater cameras, helicopter fly-bys and needing the expertise of people who work in the oil/energy industry. It's not an excuse, but think about it: Most major newspapers long since closed their bureaus in New Orleans, like they did in countless other cities around the world and now have to pay big money to cover a story for a newspaper that still doesn't make a solid profit. How many papers do you have to sell to cover the cost of hiring a helicopter to fly over the U.S. Gulf?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Let us not forget that BP -- British Petroleum, Beyond Petroleum, whatever -- is an English company.

BP is 40% owned by UK interests, and - guess what - 40% by US interests.

BP is 40% owned by UK interests, and - guess what - 40% by US interests.

Well, OK. Founded in England by a Brit and still based there, with its CEO also a Brit.

Let's see.

Chairman is Swedish

CFO is American

CEO is British

Assorted members of the governance committee from Netherlands, US, UK and so on.

Companies of this size are multinational. It doesn't do any good, and certainly misrepresents the true picture, to start bringing domicile, stock exchange listing and nationalities into it.

In fact, it makes it look like you want to hang blame on someone whilst in a lynch mob frame of mind.

Clean the thing up.
    Have the enquiry.
    Recognise culpability across the board from governmental level down to company level, to include BP, Halliburton et al.
    Resolve to Do Something About Big Oil.

And then carry on as usual, until we take the bold step of going nuclear with help from sustainable sources.

I' m living in Europe, right.

Crazy talk.
    We have had alot of crazy talk within the last 10 years, a lot of which is connected with US and it's way of treating "world concerns".

Do we agree on the oil leak being a "world concern"?

an English company.
    You know about the separated position of UK on Europes political landscape?
    You are aware about some "connections" of GBP and USD?

My post here is an maybe early question towards the maybe happening spread of oil towards the international sea. Is it still an US thing or yet an international concern?

I agree there is not the sense of urgency in cleaning up this mess that most of the country would like.

I would agree on the government not acting.

Please read: not acting... NOT "not acting in time".

We have lacking of securty mechanisms, no-control benefits for the drillings, use of dangerous (and in other countries illegal) chemical substances, media betrayal (the size of poring oil, death of fauna) and so on.

Purely from a logistical standpoint, this is an extremely difficult story for the media to cover

Maybe we just have to think about our expectations towards the media?

Is it wrong to expect "experts" talking about such a giant topic
    without manipulation in the background?

After 4 weeks we clearly got the picture that
    government and BP did all to hold things "under water"-
    No need to compile a list of questions and present them to
    ALL parts involved (media, government, companies)?

I have no interest is blaming anyone. I personally don't think any off-shore drilling is a good move and the reason why is right before our very eyes. I think we should move away from using oil as soon as possible and leave as much as we can right there in the earth's crust. God we knows we might need it sometime to power a spaceship to blow up an asteroid (hey, Michael Bay).

You quoted my post, which was a response to a ridiculous conspiracy theory about the devaluation of the euro (not the pound) somehow masking fallout from the oil spill and subsequent plummeting of the dollar.

As far as multinationals go, I will stand by that. Coca Cola operates in probably most countries on the earth but would anyone call it anything other than an American brand? The company I work for was bought by a Canadian company, is listed on Canadian and American stock exchanges and has a huge headquarters in Times Square in New York City. But for all practical purposes, would anyone argue that Reuters is not a British news agency?

-edit: sorry about the posting mess-

Future thoughts:
    - Companies being responsible for such an incredible kind of damage
    should be banned from future business?
    - How should the world treat the pollution of sea (endangering worldwide life but being judged by national laws)?

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    in the us corporations have citizen rights (Now)

Bring back the corporate death penalty in the us and kill BP fr this.

If not for the ecological disaster for negligence and the death of the oil workers. I don't see how the govnmt isn't going forward with this.

Bp needs to stop trying to harvest the spilled oil and save thie f'in well and close it permanantly.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I don't see how the govnmt isn't going forward with this.

Because, unless the trial was a complete sham, they would be found to be complicit.

Or do you think was there some legitimate reason BP was granted an exemption from the studies and inspections that are otherwise required by law?

Dudes, I am with you. If it's me, I call in the U.S. Navy and whatever other naval fleet and whatever type of expertise with have and throw the kitchen sink at the problem. Kindly thank BP for their efforts and get them the f^ck out of there, tell them to go back to the office and wait for the bill in the mail.

Surely this will go down as the most expensive man-made disaster in history and it will result in new laws in the U.S. and elsewhere.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    No, I understand how things work. I'm just saying from a human/logical perspective. As someone who likes oceans, nawmean?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

- Companies being responsible for such an incredible kind of damage
    should be banned from future business?

You mean, like the banks? You know, the ones that were "bailed out"?

Again and again and again, the US government does not work in the interests of the people...or duh, the environment for that matter. Their agendas are on some whole other shit...and if anything we are just in their way.

So basically, stop consorting wit them and their devlish ways. They are the enemy.

Dudes, I am with you. If it's me, I call in the U.S. Navy and whatever other naval fleet and whatever type of expertise with have and throw the kitchen sink at the problem. Kindly thank BP for their efforts and get them the f^ck out of there, tell them to go back to the office and wait for the bill in the mail.

Surely this will go down as the most expensive man-made disaster in history and it will result in new laws in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Friend, to be as kind as possible, this is incredibly naive.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Friend, to be as kind as possible, this is incredibly naive.

For real, what naval fleet ANYWHERE has "expertise" with capping a busted oil rig well?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    b/w this:

"Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Continue": http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/24/us/24moratorium.html?hp

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I personally blame gov't regulators more than BP. These companies are running a business, and they will always cut corners on safety if we let them. It's the government's job to make sure that the laws are adequate (or better), and that they are enforced.

From what I've read, Cheney and co scaled these laws back a lot, to the point where the government was simply taking BP on their word that things were safe. I would've liked Obama to roll stuff back and introduce additional oversight, and I have no doubt he could've done more.

Going a bit further, we should acknowledge that our current campaign finance system demands our representatives appeal to these companies, in order to raise the money needed to get elected. In that regard, Americans can blame themselves for not demanding better from our system of government.

The whole thing is incredibly depressing, and no one's without blame. BP, Bush, Cheney, Obama, everyone. Unfortunately, it looks like we're only going to consider addressing this now that the worst case scenario has taken place..