deep cover bassline?

2»

Comments

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    Anyone know where the basslines for Molecular Beats Squadron's "Coming By Storm" is from?
    UR DEAD! transmit power is the joint. B side wins again.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    People still haven't found "Shook Ones Pt II".

Haven't they?

Wasn't there a thread on here just a couple of months ago with the source revealed?

there was a youtube clip I think that showed the source and pitched it up to the sample speed.

maybe I can find it ...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You sure you're not thinking of "Ice Cream"?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The "Ice Cream" sample was apparently Earl Klugh.
    IIRC the Mobb Deep sample was taken from the "To Sir With Love" soundtrack, right?

No, the "To Sir With Love" theory was debunked years ago I think.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    No, the "To Sir With Love" theory was debunked years ago I think.

Was it "officially" debunked? I never believed it but I think a lot of people have just accepted that that's the source.

I think the Real Schitt Committee did not accept it, as such I am not one to argue.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i remeber listening to that queensbridge collection that strictly put out, and that song didn't sound like shook ones to me. chopped, unchopped, didn't sound like it to me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ugh ... was I really thinking of the "Ice Cream" thread ... ? I need to lay off the green.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the work they would have had to have put into chopping and tweaking that sample, as opposed to the simple loops that make up the rest of the album, seems ridiculous.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    How is Deep Cover not a sample ?

b/w

I've always suspected Shook Ones is a combination of two piano chops .."Thackery..." and something else unknown

the thing is, the mobb deep sample is obviously pitched way down, and played over several keys (you can hear the sample slowing down with each trigger)... it's not something that is technically hard to do, there's no real chopping involved... but you're looking for a sample that's maybe 1 second in length and at a totally different speed.

Did anyone ever find "Flavor In Ya Ear"?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i found it this morning when i blew dry my hair. ;-)

actually, i heard moe bee say that a session guy played that.

ive always had my own theory that those note hits in "flava in your ear" are from lou donaldson "whos making love"

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    the thing is, the mobb deep sample is obviously pitched way down, and played over several keys (you can hear the sample slowing down with each trigger)... it's not something that is technically hard to do, there's no real chopping involved... but you're looking for a sample that's maybe 1 second in length and at a totally different speed.

Reguarding the shook ones sample. I can't call it but remember the sample was posted by Dusty Kid after he saw the sample clearance sheet for the mariah carey rooftop remix which had a beat that the trackmasters did to sound like shook ones. It was just assumed it was shook ones as well. But nobody has seen anything stating it was mobb, just the mariah carey song. So I take it all with a grain of salt. But Havoc is on that song as well so it would be odd if he didn't say something.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I think the Real Schitt Committee did not accept it, as such I am not one to argue.

I dunno if my membership has been accepted yet, but that thackery schitt ain't that schitt. Keep huntin folls.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

I was at a production "workshop" about 12 years ago in Miami and Easy Mo Bee was on the panel, along with Hank Shocklee, D-Dot and a few others, and Mo Bee said that "Flava in ya ear" was actually "Billie Jean" pitched way down. I tried it on the SP-1200 and it does sound just like it, but he could have been bullshitting for the fuck of it. Who ever has a SP, try it for yourself and you judge.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    jaymack said:
    the work they would have had to have put into chopping and tweaking that sample, as opposed to the simple loops that make up the rest of the album, seems ridiculous.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    jaymack said:

I'm not sure who this was aimed at but if it was in reference to the "Billie Jean" comment, it really ain't much time or chopping. Just sample the 2 main hits from MJ and pitch them down and play the same pattern.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I Had Sex With The Lyn Christopher Record said:
    Digger_Phelps_II said:
    woody shaw - melinda

yeah, I was just about to say??? definitely a sample. Never could remember whose record it was from. Right in the middle of some upright bass noodling, there it is.

Just like the McCoy Tyner bassline Black Sheep used. That record stared me in the face for years before I realized that was it. BTW, what's the "Gaurd Your Grill", "How I could just kill a man", "Search for the Lyte" bassline from. That's been killing me for years!!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Breez said:
    I Had Sex With The Lyn Christopher Record said:
    Digger_Phelps_II said:
    woody shaw - melinda

yeah, I was just about to say??? definitely a sample. Never could remember whose record it was from. Right in the middle of some upright bass noodling, there it is.

Just like the McCoy Tyner bassline Black Sheep used. That record stared me in the face for years before I realized that was it. BTW, what's the "Gaurd Your Grill", "How I could just kill a man", "Search for the Lyte" bassline from. That's been killing me for years!!

around 7 mins in...

• scribescribe 16 Posts
    Just read this interview with The D.O.C. the other day. According to him, it's Colin Wolfe:

ThaFormula.com - It's funny how that album turned out to be the best album he ever recorded and had a sound similar to the Chronic.

D.O.C. - Yep. I mean the formula goes where I go. You took 2 of the major components from the Chronic days with me and Colin Wolfe, and moved them over here and that's really what it was. Colin was a musician so Dre would say play, and Colin would play. Sooner or later he would come up on a couple of chords that we all liked so, uh, I'll give you a perfect example. ???Deep Cover,??? the guy was just playin??? the 4 notes and Dre said ???wait a minute keep playin??? that.??? That baseline was Colin Wolfe's shit. Dre added the drum the piano hit and that was it, that was the song.

http://www.thaformula.com/doc_ruthless_to_death_row_thaformula_music.html

Breez said:
    the McCoy Tyner bassline Black Sheep used.

where is that sample in the song? i was trying to recreate that song for fun once and that was the one sample i couldnt pinpoint.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    jaymack said:
    Breez said:
    the McCoy Tyner bassline Black Sheep used.

where is that sample in the song? i was trying to recreate that song for fun once and that was the one sample i couldnt pinpoint.

Listen at the 3:04 mark. I happens once.

thanks!
    jesus thats obvious