deep cover bassline?

axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central

this is kinda bugging me cuz i have the record, put it on 45 and there it is.
problem is i cant remember what lp its from. my boy came by a few months back and pulled it outta my stacks :NO: , i was smoking the pot that night and now i cant figure it out. BAKE-0!

THX.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it isn't a sample. I remember years ago people trying to say that it was the Gene Russell record but I dunno...

• isnt it the undisputed truth?

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    really? maybe im confusing it with another loop from dre or snoop.. the undisputed truth shit is "i can feel it" vocal thang they use..thank u guys.

im gonna go through some records and report back..this is why i dont smoke pot anymore, well just a lil bit ;-)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    I'm pretty sure it isn't a sample.

Yeah, it was played by a studio bassist (Colin Wolfe, I think). Not sure if it was intentionally a replay of the Gene Russell record or if that's just the lick he happened to come up with.

cosmo u right man- i got it confused. the shit im talkin bout is the jerry butler jawn dre used for "the day the ninjas took over"

fahkin weed dood-yikes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This the jawn which when I first got this record back in the day my dudes were like "It's Deep Cover" and I was like non cipher.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    This the jawn which when I first got this record back in the day my dudes were like "It's Deep Cover" and I was like non cipher.

Hahaha, non cipher. That Gene Russell did get used for this beat, which I always thought was :hard_as_fuck:

DJ_Enki said:
    Cosmo said:
    I'm pretty sure it isn't a sample.

Yeah, it was played by a studio bassist (Colin Wolfe, I think). Not sure if it was intentionally a replay of the Gene Russell record or if that's just the lick he happened to come up with.

not off tone tantrum or nexus is it?

hahah whoops disregard my last post

DJ_Enki said:
    Cosmo said:

Hahaha, non cipher. That Gene Russell did get used for this beat, which I always thought was :hard_as_fuck:

that second hop record had some really ill upright bassline loops..come to think of it pretty much all the beats were really dope.

• woody shaw - melinda

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Digger_Phelps_II said:
    woody shaw - melinda

yeah, I was just about to say??? definitely a sample. Never could remember whose record it was from. Right in the middle of some upright bass noodling, there it is.

update: while the Woody Shaw record does indeed have a bassline that plays like Deep Cover... it's not the same record that I heard years ago (and have on a tape somewhere, probably never to be found). I think the other record is the actual Deep Cover sample... dude is playing the upright bass solo and grunting, then that little one bar piece comes in, sounding exactly like the Dre & Snoop record IIRC. I know somebody told me what it was years ago, but I tried to commit it to memory and failed. Ah, well...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i remember a interview where dre said that a session guy was playing bass and he played that line. so many producers have tried to claim ish was played when they were trying to obscure what they were using.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    it's definitely a live bassplayer and not a straight sample.. dre did that alot around that time... used a mix of live musicians, samples,and drum machines...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    We've had this conversation before. I also, have it on cassette tape somewhere. I was in NYC recording a radio show and they dropped it. I heard it loud and clear. Phil is totally right in the fact its a breakdown in the middle of a bass solo. Maybe it was replayed but thats where they got it from. A jazz record...

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Which Woody Shaw LP is "Melinda" from?

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Cosmo said:

What a bassline. Two other Gene Russell uses from 1994 (both replayed):

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    i remember a interview where dre said that a session guy was playing bass and he played that line.

It's in a few different places - the bassist was Colin Wolfe and according to what several biographers have written, Dre and Wolfe were just messing around in the studio and Wolfe came up with that 4 note bassline.

It could be that Wolfe was drawing on some shit he heard elsewhere - I mean, as far as a bass line progression goes, it's not out the realm of possibility that many bassists have come up with that exact same arrangement of notes but until I actually hear someone play me a snippet of "an original source", I'm going to assume "Deep Cover" wasn't an interpolation (and it almost certainly was not a sample).

• roisto said:
    Which Woody Shaw LP is "Melinda" from?

mannybolone said:
    SIRUS said:
    i remember a interview where dre said that a session guy was playing bass and he played that line.

It's in a few different places - the bassist was Colin Wolfe and according to what several biographers have written, Dre and Wolfe were just messing around in the studio and Wolfe came up with that 4 note bassline.

It could be that Wolfe was drawing on some shit he heard elsewhere - I mean, as far as a bass line progression goes, it's not out the realm of possibility that many bassists have come up with that exact same arrangement of notes but until I actually hear someone play me a snippet of "an original source", I'm going to assume "Deep Cover" wasn't an interpolation (and it almost certainly was not a sample).

so me and Dee Rock are either lying or don't know what we're talking about? i know we're not like experts on samples, loops and breaks or anything... :oh_my: :cheese:

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Anyone know where the basslines for Molecular Beats Squadron's "Coming By Storm" is from?

I Had Sex With The Lyn Christopher Record said:
    mannybolone said:
    SIRUS said:

so me and Dee Rock are either lying or don't know what we're talking about? i know we're not like experts on samples, loops and breaks or anything... :oh_my: :cheese:

I'm not calling anyone out. This just sounds like one of those "Mardi Gras w/o the bells" situations. I'll believe it when I hear it

Heck, prove it and I'll write it up for Wax Poetics and assign full credit to you and 'Preme!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    mannybolone said:
    SIRUS said:

I'm not calling anyone out. This just sounds like one of those "Mardi Gras w/o the bells" situations. I'll believe it when I hear it

Heck, prove it and I'll write it up for Wax Poetics and assign full credit to you and 'Preme!

the thing is, this isn't Talking All That Jazz/Expansions... the bassline to Deep Cover is very simple, just a tri-tone w/ a cue note... it's like Louie Louie or somethin, it's in the ether... even if there a jazz track with the exact same notes and feel, it doesn't mean dre heard it... it's simple enough that the idea could have come independently... or, dre heard a bassline that had the same notes and feel and streamlined it...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    This just sounds like one of those "Mardi Gras w/o the bells" situations.

b/w

"Vitamin C" vs. "24 Karat Black Theme"

mannybolone said:
    mannybolone said:
    SIRUS said:

nah, that's okay... i'm not looking for any credit. I didn't discover the sample. I still don't even know what it is. just sayin' i heard it... from what I remember it sounded EXACTLY like the Deep Cover bassline. It's not about just playing the same notes- the woody shaw record plays the same notes but it still sounds different than Deep Cover if you have a discerning ear. this record had the exact same sound and feel as the Deep Cover schitt... it's distinctive, even being just four notes. hey, believe what you will but for the sake of truth i'm just lettin' you know what it is... let the hunt for another breakbeat bigfoot begin :holygrail:

and BTW, you do know that producers lie and / or are secretive about their sample sources, right? especially back around that time when people were getting sued out the ass for unauthorized sample usage :bizzo:

I know producers lie but "Deep Cover" was big enough that you'd think people would have sourced the heck out of it at this point. Then again, considering how long it took people to figure out "Shook Ones II" or "Nas is Like," I guess some things take more time.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    People still haven't found "Shook Ones Pt II".

Haven't they?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The Deep Cover bassline could be anything. "Sourcing the heck out of it" isn't exactly the same science as finding something like Vic Juris.