Just who IS the acknowledged "greatest rock n roll band in the world" these days?

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
It's not the Rolling Stones.
Please let it not be U2.
Surely it can't be Kings of Leon or similar low-key scruffsters.

Please speak on it.

Comments

• Radiohead...?

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    radiohead ?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Doesn't Mike Love still tour as The Beach Boys?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    neil_something said:
    Radiohead...?

Are they a rock'n'roll band though? Guitars - yes, rock'n'roll - ??

What about that group with Jack White and some other guys. Fits more easily into the pigeonhole imo.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I think the fact that it's probably still assumed to be U2 or Radiohead is a clear sign that the days of a recognised biggest/greatest band are probably gone for good.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    How are you defining GREATEST?

Biggest selling? Most influential? Most respected?

Poo2 probably win the money made category. No idea about about the others tbh.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    skel said:
    It's not the Rolling Stones.
    Please let it not be U2.
    Surely it can't be Kings of Leon or similar low-key scruffsters.

Please speak on it.

Coldplay

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Coldplay could've got it a few years ago, not so sure now.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Okem said:
    How are you defining GREATEST?

Biggest selling? Most influential? Most respected?

Defining it thus: it won't make you LOL if you hear the epithet applied to the band, and it generally is applied to them.

They're at the top of their game, you may even hate them but their appeal / swagger / LearJet-ability is undeniable, every inch of their pomp being justified. It's a congnoscenti consensus thing.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It, unfortunately, could well be Kings of Leon then. Although they're widely considered to be past their best.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    black keys or white stripes?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    lil wayne

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    The Fooeys!!!!!

:beerbang:

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    The fact that rock and roll does not matter as much anymore certainly makes this designation more difficult.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Fatback said:
    The fact that rock and roll does not matter as much anymore certainly makes this designation more difficult.

Lenny Kravitz was right.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I feel like this is such an internet-age argument...

"Who is the best? These three are bands I hate, IHOPEIHOPE it isn't them!!!!"

Like who you like, fuck what some pop station thinks of Kings of Leon.

Thanks for that contribution

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    No problem. Glad I could help.

It just seems silly that you ask a question; throw out three answers that are probably right, but make you butthurt; and then look for people to tell you that it'll be ok, there is more rock out there.

U2 is huge, and I hatt them. Waaaambulance, move on.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    It's still Led Zep, even with only half the band.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's Fishbone...duh.

gareth said:
    No problem. Glad I could help.

It just seems silly that you ask a question; throw out three answers that are probably right, but make you butthurt; and then look for people to tell you that it'll be ok, there is more rock out there.

U2 is huge, and I hatt them. Waaaambulance, move on.

Man, you've changed since your KK days. More clenched.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I would argue that it is AC/DC...considering their music is the essence of rock n roll and it hasnt changed in over 30 years and they can still fill a 100,000 seat stadium at the drop of hat...

as far as the Kings of Leon, they lose the award in my eyes over an incident I was involved in with them years ago...I was hanging out with some old bandmates who were on tour with KOL..we were partying in a limo...there was a bottle of REALLY good tequila going around. Tequila so smooth you could pour it on paper cuts and road rash and it would of even stung. Anyway, bottle gets passed to guitar player dude, who was wearing a Jack Daniels t-shirt, had the "I dont give a fuck" cigarette hanging out fo his mouth, Keith Richards/Rod Stewart rooster haircut, and he looks at the bottle and says "I dont know, Im scared its going to burn" I laughed (I was drunk) and said "and you wanna be Keith Richards?" His asshurt level went from yellow to red instantly...so VERY unrocknroll.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I would argue that it is AC/DC...considering their music is the essence of rock n roll and it hasnt changed in over 30 years and they can still fill a 100,000 seat stadium at the drop of hat...

as far as the Kings of Leon, they lose the award in my eyes over an incident I was involved in with them years ago...I was hanging out with some old bandmates who were on tour with KOL..we were partying in a limo...there was a bottle of REALLY good tequila going around. Tequila so smooth you could pour it on paper cuts and road rash and it would of even stung. Anyway, bottle gets passed to guitar player dude, who was wearing a Jack Daniels t-shirt, had the "I dont give a fuck" cigarette hanging out fo his mouth, Keith Richards/Rod Stewart rooster haircut, and he looks at the bottle and says "I dont know, Im scared its going to burn" I laughed (I was drunk) and said "and you wanna be Keith Richards?" His asshurt level went from yellow to red instantly...so VERY unrocknroll.

Hahaha! In fairness to KoL, they started out fairly young and green, despite the off-the-peg central casting rock'n'roller threads. I imagine most of us wouldn't have looked terribly self-assured when we took our first shot of the hard stuff. I know I didn't afterwards...

At a push, I'd have said AC/DC too, although quite how widely acknowledged that is is debatable. If a bunch of drips like Coldplay can even be considered a rock'n'roll band, much less the world's greatest, it suggests to me that the terms of qualification might need recalibrating.

If it was a matter of personal taste, then I'd say Queens Of The Stone Age.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    STEVIE WONDER!!!!!!!

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    batmon said:
    STEVIE WONDER!!!!!!!

disallowed due to that mushy cover of ribbon in the sky he always plays

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    If it was a matter of personal taste, then I'd say Queens Of The Stone Age.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Guys, stop being ridiculous, it's obviously U2

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    What about these guys?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If you're basing it solely on commercial popularity I'm afraid it's Pearl Jam which boggles my mind.

Go look at the Spin/Rolling Stone recent "Best of The Year" polls.

• what about the boss?