sex and the city 2

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Ebert

U serious?

What? I dunno if you never got the memo. But in the world of notable movie reviewers. Ebert is the man.

In 2010 u actually follow, as a grown man, Roger Ebert's opinions on movies?

Seriously?!?

He's your barometer?

I don't follow anyone opinion. I simply see things I find interest of some sorts.

But Ebert is the man. One could post a crapload of examples as proof.

Ebert is indeed the man. However, his once ruthless regard toward middle-of-the-road movies has lessened ever since his cancer scare and he is now much more friendly to seemingly everything he watches. Sure, he will pan stuff that absolutely needs to be panned but some stuff that wouldn't get more than a star in previous years now get three stars sometimes. He had a flash with death and can now find the good in almost anything.

I'd rather see the Ebert-penned female entourage movie Beyond the Valley of the Dolls over Sex and the City any day.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

I knew a lot of girls who tried to recreate the Samantha character because of the show--eeeeek.

that should be 'yaaaaay'.

ha!

unless by recreate, you mean they started fueding with sarah jessica parker and shot a home video version of mannequin.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    ...so what are you guys wearing?

I was thinking my Uniqlo chinos, a Lucky Brand burgundy chambray button-up and navy blue Chucks. Whatchu think? To cazhhh?

no accessorieesssssth?!

Just my never-coming-off onyx bead necklace and maybe a Starck-designed Fossil watch. Lately I've been wearing this personalized handmade bracelet my ex got me in Mexico a few years back too. If it's chilly enough I'll rock my denim jacket that has plenty of fun buttons, some 'Strut-related ("I ain't talkin' 'bout chicken & gravy, meng!") Those count, right? I'll leave the straw Trilby at home 'cause it IS midnight movie.

By the way, I'm being a little cheesy and over-descriptive just for the fun of the thread. Thought I should clarify that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ebert

"The characters of "Sex and the City 2" are flyweight bubbleheads living in a world which rarely requires three sentences in a row."

I don't follow anyone opinion. I simply see things I find interest of some sorts.

Ur werent quoting/Following Ebert's opinion to make a point?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    ...so what are you guys wearing?

I was thinking my Uniqlo chinos, a Lucky Brand burgundy chambray button-up and navy blue Chucks. Whatchu think? To cazhhh?

no accessorieesssssth?!

Just my never-coming-off onyx bead necklace and maybe a Starck-designed Fossil watch. Lately I've been wearing this personalized handmade bracelet my ex got me in Mexico a few years back too. If it's chilly enough I'll rock my denim jacket that has plenty of fun buttons, some 'Strut-related ("I ain't talkin' 'bout chicken & gravy, meng!") Those count, right? I'll leave the straw Trilby at home 'cause it IS midnight movie.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Ebert

"The characters of "Sex and the City 2" are flyweight bubbleheads living in a world which rarely requires three sentences in a row."

Ur werent quoting/Following Ebert's opinion to make a point?

Naw, I was posting the quote because I thought it was funny.

If I was trying to make a point, I would have posted the review.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100525/REVIEWS/100529986

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    the odd part isn't that Batmon or any other guy rides for SATC. i sat through many an episode with my gf. its that he's pre-riding for a movie thats going to be HORRIBLE. i mildly enjoyed episodes here or there, but the first movie was near unwatchable and the second one doesn't appear to be any better, and reeks of being much much worse. (never watched much sopranos. would post 5000 times in a Wire movie thread.) good night.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The show was vile

The movies are likely even worse

You should all be embarrassed of yourselves

That said, I understand that wifey's bachelorette party this Friday involves a group excursion to see it

the odd part isn't that Batmon or any other guy rides for SATC. i sat through many an episode with my gf. its that he's pre-riding for a movie thats going to be HORRIBLE. i mildly enjoyed episodes here or there, but the first movie was near unwatchable and the second one doesn't appear to be any better, and reeks of being much much worse. (never watched much sopranos. would post 5000 times in a Wire movie thread.) good night.

You may be right, but I'm not the type that can just walk away from it. I've invested this much in it, might as well finish it up. A bad movie at this point won't affect my appreciation for the show!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I want to know what are the subtle levels of New Yorkitude that I am missing?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I want to know what are the subtle levels of New Yorkitude that I am missing?

Ask wifey!

b/w

You getting married? Congrats!

• thropethrope 750 Posts

You may be right, but I'm not the type that can just walk away from it. I've invested this much in it, might as well finish it up. A bad movie at this point won't affect my appreciation for the show!

this is how i felt during season six of Lost. now i get it. (except of course this season ruining the whole show for me )

Meh In The City.

These ladies had absolutely NO chemistry. The whole "homage" to the Middle East thing was so damn disrespectful too. And that Liza "Single Ladies" thing was just plain ol' SHIT. And I thought the rendition I saw on the Alvin & The Chipmunks trailer was bad!

Bring on the "I told you so's," folks!

b/w

At least Salaam Remi got paid!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    would have never been better used. you blew it.

would have never been better used. you blew it.

Damn it! You're right, Thrope! Ah well...

Elise & I decided that this one's for the gheys (more so than the others). They deserve it!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Elise & I decided that this one's for the gheys (more so than the others). They deserve it!

• OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
    One of the best movie reviews ever:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/burkas-and-birkins/Content?oid=4132715

Sample:

At sexism's funeral (which takes place in a mysterious, incense-shrouded chamber of international sisterhood), the women of Abu Dhabi remove their black robes and veils to reveal?this is not a joke?the same hideous, disposable, criminally expensive shreds of cloth and feathers that hang from Carrie et al.'s emaciated goblin shoulders. Muslim women: Under those craaaaaaay-zy robes, they're just as vapid and obsessed with physical beauty and meaningless material concerns as us! Feminism! Fuck yeah!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Herm, I am wondering about the term "finishing it up." Is there any question with the financial power of the franchise that this won't become a trilogy?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I couldn't get past the first third of this thread, but I have to note that my lady, while a fan, laments the impact that this show has had on New York women. Talmbout ladies using thier refrigerators and ovens to store more shoes 'cause their Manhattan studio can't handle their My Little Pony record clothes collection, and eating out for every meal 'cause they want to be like Carrie.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I couldn't get past the first third of this thread, but I have to note that my lady, while a fan, laments the impact that this show has had on New York women. Talmbout ladies using thier refrigerators and ovens to store more shoes 'cause their Manhattan studio can't handle their <s>My Little Pony</s> <s>record</s> clothes collection, and eating out for every meal 'cause they want to be like Carrie.

I think that says more about the women than the show.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I enjoy the Sex and City saga after they retire, move to Florida and they call the show "The Golden Girls"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The whole "homage" to the Middle East thing was so damn disrespectful too.

You don't say!

Uniqlo

When Elise asked the question yesterday, that's what I was wearing too! I got these so so cute lemon jeans when I was in New York back in March, teamed with a light gray t and gold sequin sandals.

SATC can fck off, but I will say that at this point, the widespread love of this show has crossed over from being just another pop culture annoyance to a curiosity. Whatever makes you (and your girl) happy.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

Uniqlo
    that's what I was wearing too! I got these so so cute lemon jeans when I was in New York back in March, teamed with a light gray t and gold sequin sandals.

Ha, I'm wearing a fav Uniqlo shirt right now. Wishing they would come to Toronto. That and Muji!!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    ah, if only defending this dogshit show (and movie) were as easy as painting its male detractors as hypermasculine.

the show is weak. like REAL weak. its like a female entourage. so there goes your masculine argument.

Give me the pre-cursors to Sex In The City?

The don of this shit. SATC is just a prequel.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The show was vile

The movies are likely even worse

You should all be embarrassed of yourselves

That said, I understand that wifey's bachelorette party this Friday involves a group excursion to see it

Congratulations, D. That's awesome.

And yeah, I don't care about the show or movie but I think it's pretty harmless - except for the fact that it did spawn a whole legion of SITC clones that run around Manhattan and are crazy annoying. Like Magnolia Bakery isn't really that good, holmes.

But whatever - I love The Godfather / Sopranos / The Wire.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    3 pages on Sex In The City 2: Abu Dahbi Boogaloo??

My wife watches the show and even she was like "that looks horrible".

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    3 pages on Sex In The City 2...

And it took a concerted effort to get my Stevie Wonder thread up to 2 pages. Maybe I should have named it "Look at this BLACK PERSON"

Viva Soulstrut.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    got these so so cute lemon jeans

sorry, but this made me laugh and thirsty at the same time.

and i agree with whoever said this show is vile!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    One of the best movie reviews ever:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/burkas-and-birkins/Content?oid=4132715

Sample:

At sexism's funeral (which takes place in a mysterious, incense-shrouded chamber of international sisterhood), the women of Abu Dhabi remove their black robes and veils to reveal?this is not a joke?the same hideous, disposable, criminally expensive shreds of cloth and feathers that hang from Carrie et al.'s emaciated goblin shoulders. Muslim women: Under those craaaaaaay-zy robes, they're just as vapid and obsessed with physical beauty and meaningless material concerns as us! Feminism! Fuck yeah!

You beat me to it. Girl goes at that shit with a pair of flensing knives.

Never paid much attention to either the TV show or the movies, although the presence of J-Hud in the first movie caught my attention for a minute. All the same, I can't help but feel that criticising a story about rich, self-obsessed Ladies Who Lunch for being shallow and superficial is a little like complaining about ice-cream being cold. I recognise that, in the early days of the TV show, there were some ground-breaking and innovative aspects to it, but all of that seems to have since been abandoned in favour of a bunch of fairly simplistic ciphers for conspicuous consumption and having-it-all "fabulousness". It's like the Spice Girls all growed up. I should add that I know almost as many women who despise it with a passion to rival Lindy West as I do women who love it for its soapy fluffiness.