Best Opening Drums

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Victors have a version of "The Magnificent Sanctuary Marching Band" on 7" with the break.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Ninety percent of the breaks listed here get eaten with socks on by Sadistic Mika Band's "Silver Child," off that weird promo 45. That shit is raw, paw.

I like Ronnie Mitchell's "Soul Meeting," too.

Best ever intro-to-the-drums may be Eddy Giles:

Everybody's talkin'
    about 'give the drummer some'
    Looka here:
    My drummer got so much soul
    he just
    takes what he wants...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    This count?

bangin ass flip too

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    IMO, "Wah Wah Man" was always pretty dope.

youngholt shit? no doubt about it

this isnt on par with some of the posts (lover and a friend ruleS), but i love this intro:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    two that i like, probably a bit busy to "use" for anything, but cool breaks.
    The Bag

Ross D Wylie

Eddie Bo - Lover and a Friend

Great break, also Little Buck "Little Boy Blue" on Seven B

i was gonna post that!!!

how bout dee dee warwick drums?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The Bag

In a box somewhere I have an ooooold pause-button tape where I rock (well, "rock") this break at 33 and pitched-up some. Later that same tape, the "Holy Ghost" break at 45. Oof. I think everyone goes through a phase like that. "It's cool like that, at original speed, right? Okay? But check it: How about if I slow it down? Shit is bonkers, right? Right?"

What yinz know about Delegations' "Oh Honey" 45 played at 16, though? Your carpet turns tarpit and I swear you can actually feel yourself going back in time. Pour a cocktail and try it sometime. Just make sure you're sitting down and that your afternoon is free.

Sorry--back to the thread.

The Bag

In a box somewhere I have an ooooold pause-button tape where I rock (well, "rock") this break at 33 and pitched-up some. Later that same tape, the "Holy Ghost" break at 45. Oof. I think everyone goes through a phase like that. "It's cool like that, at original speed, right? Okay? But check it: How about if I
    slow it down? Shit is bonkers, right? Right?"

What yinz know about Delegations' "Oh Honey" 45 played at 16, though? Your carpet turns tarpit and I swear you can actually feel yourself going back in time. Pour a cocktail and try it sometime. Just make sure you're sitting down and that your afternoon is free.

ha ha, know exactly what you mean, years back I went crazy with the Buzzcocks break in all 3 options, slowed, normal speed & then sped up.

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    Fatback band "let the drums speak".

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Here's one I've always liked.... hardly mentioned. Not the hardest or cleanest drums...but I like the way the sound.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Nice cheapy 45, one banging break;

Aviary Connection 'Superbird' on Mesa

:raw:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Fatback band "let the drums speak".

best melody EVER, but the drums are better on Dance Girl...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I think a lot of yall are just thinking "Drum Braeks" in general and missing the "45" aspect. Or is that just me splitting hairs?

I think people failed to see the "45" rule.

Yup, we've lost'em bruh!

I'm pretty sure these are all on 45s although some made it onto LPs too. You're strict!

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Im Violating all thread rules here but hey... its :raw: as fusk and its purdie so how can you argue?

• Marvins Groove

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Just to add to the field:

Jerry Ford- Your Love (sorry, this is a shit copy)

I'd love to add Nola & The Soul Rockers to this list, but alas, no digital file

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    We the people "breakdown" is a 45 I always include in my sets of late..
    The only version i could find on youtube is a super lo res upload from bboybraeekz.com however

Just to add to the field:

Jerry Ford- Your Love (sorry, this is a shit copy)

I prefer the Many Styles of Bobby Day's version:

• ArksArks 133 Posts

Dope - had heard this on dusty fingers, didnt know it was from a 45.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dope - had heard this on dusty fingers, didnt know it was from a 45.

MGM. The group, as far as I know, only put out this one single.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    The Bag

In a box somewhere I have an ooooold pause-button tape where I rock (well, "rock") this break at 33 and pitched-up some. Later that same tape, the "Holy Ghost" break at 45. Oof. I think everyone goes through a phase like that. "It's cool like that, at original speed, right? Okay? But check it: How about if I
    slow it down? Shit is bonkers, right? Right?"

I NEED THIS BOX!

• Real answer: Ohio Players - Funky Worm

take a close listen,those drums you hear are not even ohio players... they are the detroit emeralds, tacked on to the beginning. so that doesnt count.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

Real answer: Ohio Players - Funky Worm

take a close listen,those drums you hear are not even ohio players... they are the detroit emeralds, tacked on to the beginning. so that doesnt count.

Does anyone know the reason for this?? It just seems awfully odd.

• Real answer: Ohio Players - Funky Worm

I wish i had copy and pasted it but there was a very very long in detail thread about this. Time flies so fast but i'd say it was around two to three years ago. For some reason I think someone involved with the whole thing ened up explaining it. Maybe someone else remembers the thread.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

Real answer: Ohio Players - Funky Worm

I wish i had copy and pasted it but there was a very very long in detail thread about this. Time flies so fast but i'd say it was around two to three years ago. For some reason I think someone involved with the whole thing ened up explaining it. Maybe someone else remembers the thread.

My thing is if they did use the same intro 1) why did they edit the bass drum hits, that happens right before the pattern starts on the Emeralds one? 2) why did they use it at all? Can someone try to find the thread or is that shit gone forever now?

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    just a little something to add on to what's been mentioned