New Official Breaking Bad Thread (spoilers)

Comments

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    yeah i agree with what you're saying maybe i just think that he would go for his in a more sophisticated method after all the shit he's been through and learned.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you would hope so, and being able to kick so calmly would suggest that he has learned some self-control ... I think it's his hate for Walter that is driving so much of what he's doing, and that hate makes him act like the "bad son" again, rebelling against whatever he relates to Walt.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

who is he going to meet there that actually will eat that shit?

A last meal?

I thought he was gonna tell him about letting Jane die.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    that episode was novel but disappointing.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    3 episodes to go and it feels like there is nothing really brewing for a finale, they're just gonna throw out some cliffhanger in the last episode and make us wait another year..

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I thought the scene when he was thinking back about exactly when he should have died was extremely good. he is going crazy.

i don't see this show lasting for more than one more season and still being good though.

the slapstick in the first half of the show was hilarious.

I mean, watching alone, I was cracking up pretty loudly to Walt's
    amazing falls. His comedic timing with physical humor is the stuff of golden age Hollywood.

the latter half was not so satisfying. the realization that the episode really
    was never going anywhere but at the lab with Walt and Jesse,
    the cheap tease in making us think Walt would confess to his negligent
    murder of Jane, the overstated revelation that Walt is really losing it. ehh.

It was all worth it to see Jesse blast Walt with that swatter, though. haha.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

murder of Jane

what happened again? he came in the apartment and saw her dying, but didn't take her to the hospital?

btw, i now amend my last post in which i said the episode from 2 weeks ago was the worst ever.

murder of Jane

what happened again? he came in the apartment and saw her dying, but didn't take her to the hospital?

all he really had to do was turn her over.

Standing alone. I would have to agree that the episode was not very good, but I'm hoping it will have an important context after the next three episodes. I have the itunes season pass and every week I get a 5 minutes wrap-up of the episode that includes interviews with actors and Vince. Vince said that this episode was going to go down as most people's all time favorite. I was like, "Really?"

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I need to re-watch the episode before I know exactly what I think. Director Rian Johnson (Brick, Brothers Bloom) definitely put his fingerprints all over this episode. According to the podcast, they basically have a bottle episode to save some money, it costs a lot less to have an entire episode in one set rather than a lot of locations.

Last year's bottle episode (Four Days Out) is pretty classic. Perhaps the success of that episode plus the directing of Rian Johnson is the source of Vince Gilligan's optimism.

I need to re-watch the episode before I know exactly what I think. Director Rian Johnson (Brick, Brothers Bloom) definitely put his fingerprints all over this episode. According to the podcast, they basically have a bottle episode to save some money, it costs a lot less to have an entire episode in one set rather than a lot of locations.

Last year's bottle episode (Four Days Out) is pretty classic. Perhaps the success of that episode plus the directing of Rian Johnson is the source of Vince Gilligan's optimism.

Four Days had some suspense and was in the classic stranded genre. This one was flat and slightly surreal. I can appreciate the direction and cinematography. But overall I was left feeling like I watched film school project from a kid who recently discovered Jarmusch and Sartre.

I just re-watched the episode and I think it's great. After a season where Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul have been largely separated, we finally get a large dose of them interacting, leading to two long monologues, first Jesse then Walt, that I found emotionally engaging. Some people have compared Fly to the Pine Barrens episode of the Sopranos. I think what was important in that episode was what occurs between Christopher and Paulie, and the fate of the Russian is ultimately not important and never revealed. I think what's important in Fly is Walt's mental state. He's clearly being torn apart and is ready for a major shift in his relationship with Meth, Jesse, Gus and Heisenberg. It's telling that he says the meth is "all contaminated", not chemically but morally. I don't think Walt has the reserves to keep making meth and think that he's doing the correct thing.

This season has had an interesting structure, slowly building to a huge climax with Hank's shootout with the Cousins, and then slowing down again for the last 3 episodes. I guarantee I big payoff in the last three episodes, though.

As an aside, I thought Johnson's directing was interesting. There were a few too-cute POV shots but it was a far more dynamic camera than we're used to in Breaking Bad with some really fun tracking shots. Full disclosure: Brick was one of my favorite movies of the last few years so I'm probably not entirely objective.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    The relationship between Walt and Jesse is my favorite thing about the show, so I definitely enjoyed "The Fly".

I just re-watched the episode and I think it's great. After a season where Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul have been largely separated, we finally get a large dose of them interacting, leading to two long monologues, first Jesse then Walt, that I found emotionally engaging. Some people have compared Fly to the Pine Barrens episode of the Sopranos. I think what was important in that episode was what occurs between Christopher and Paulie, and the fate of the Russian is ultimately not important and never revealed. I think what's important in Fly is Walt's mental state. He's clearly being torn apart and is ready for a major shift in his relationship with Meth, Jesse, Gus and Heisenberg. It's telling that he says the meth is "all contaminated", not chemically but morally. I don't think Walt has the reserves to keep making meth and think that he's doing the correct thing.

This season has had an interesting structure, slowly building to a huge climax with Hank's shootout with the Cousins, and then slowing down again for the last 3 episodes. I guarantee I big payoff in the last three episodes, though.

As an aside, I thought Johnson's directing was interesting. There were a few too-cute POV shots but it was a far more dynamic camera than we're used to in Breaking Bad with some really fun tracking shots. Full disclosure: Brick was one of my favorite movies of the last few years so I'm probably not entirely objective.

Those are good points. I should watch it again, but will wait until the season is over.

Seriously. These next three episodes need to be the best TV ever.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    What I'm wondering is how dude kept his Clark's so clean.

I should watch it again, but will wait until the season is over.

I think this is a good strategy. I'll sometimes re-watch individual episodes during the season, but I really savor going back at the end of the season to see it from the beginning.

My wife had an important insight into Walt's mental state, that after his meeting with Gus in Episode 9 Walt is probably scared shitless of Gus and his organization. Now Walt knows how powerful and dangerous they actually are, and he now knows his family's safety is contingent upon remaining in Gus' good graces. Perhaps he feels that his death would be the only way out of the situation which would keep his family protected. He speeds up and closes his eyes while driving away but he's just too naturally cautious for suicide, as seen by the fact that he turns on his turn signal after spinning out. In Fly he's fantasizing about having died from the cancer because wouldn't be able to kill himself. I don't know if he's come up with a plan B yet, but I'll bet whatever that is, it will play out in the last 3 episodes. (and please, please, please don't let it be disappearing into witness protection)

The previously on clips really telegraphed the reveal with Tomas.

"Don't make the same mistake twice."

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    that was another odd episode. tons of great saul: "I actually beleived i was kevin costner"...

anyhow, what do you guys make of that dinner with gus and his advice at the end? was it a threat or a warning of some sort? what is the past mistake he reffered to? it immediately cut to jessie about to make some mistake that he should have learned from already....

fishmongerfunk said:

anyhow, what do you guys make of that dinner with gus and his advice at the end? was it a threat or a warning of some sort? what is the past mistake he reffered to? it immediately cut to jessie about to make some mistake that he should have learned from already....

It's really hard to say what Gus' motivations are at this point???he's clearly ten steps ahead of any other character or us the viewer. I think what's important at this point is Walt's perception of what Gus said, and I think Walt will definitely perceive the dinner as a threat.

Last night's episode gave me terrible nightmares.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So glad I can finally click on this thread.

Me & my girl just watched episodes 1 through 11 straight, with just a break for dinner. Absolutely mindblowing shit, especially episodes 7 and 8, which are probably the best bits of TV drama I've seen since The Wire finished. Loved the (almost) two-hander as well.

Jesse is letting his reckless tendencies get the better of him again, and for me this is completely consistent with the way his character's developed across all three seasons ??? season one, it was getting involved with Tuco that saw him come unstuck, season two saw him over-reach himself in the game once more, resulting in Combo getting popped. Now it's Gus making what Jesse considers a disproportionate profit from his and Walt's graft that's clouding his judgement. I think it's going to cost him, sadly ??? it's about the right time in the story for a major character to catch a bad one.

Really enjoying the way the chaos theory motif has been integrated into the story. Pretty original also to use the flashbacks to show us things we haven't seen before, rather than just as recaps or padding, which is so often the case.

I think Skyler's a really underrated character, but there's a consistency in the way she's developed. Even now that she know's what's up, she still manages to be super-controlling yet oddly loyal at the same time. Stupid hot, too.

Also, Jonathan Banks. So slept-on.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Another thrilling ending tonight. Things are going to get a little wild in the season finale.

I really like the scene when the hitman dude came to Walt's place and had his monologue. I was definitely disappointed to see Jesse break out the ice again though. I guess that's why everyone still referred to him as a junkie.

Anyways, I'm still not sure this show can last more than one more season and still stay pretty solid.

This is the first time I've seen the credit of David Porter for music. Is it THE David Porter, I wonder?

• great ending!

I'd say things are definitely ramping up for the season finale. That episode had everything I need in an hour of television, from hooker blowjobs to a paraplegic handjob to assault with a deadly Aztec.

bluesnag said:

This is the first time I've seen the credit of David Porter for music. Is it THE David Porter, I wonder?

Naw, he's a young white guy:

"Run"

Absolutely insane ending.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Am I the only one who thought the ending was kinda ?

• the onion av club has been doing really good summaries of each show:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/half-measures,41825/

Brian said:
    Am I the only one who thought the ending was kinda ?

yeah, I'm pretty sure you must be.

unless you didn't see the ending where Walter plowed over the 2 meth dealers with his car and then shot one in the head?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    :hard_as_fuck: