New Official Breaking Bad Thread (spoilers)

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    It gets better & better.

Walt's always steady rockin' the Wallabees.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Holy shit. Literally did not see that coming. Superb episode all round

b/w

Mike's monologue. I think a lot of people sleep on how good Jonathan Banks is.

Breaking Bad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else on TV.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    didn't see that ending coming at all!
    im just dreading waiting another year for another season

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    fishmongerfunk said:
    the onion av club has been doing really good summaries of each show:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/half-measures,41825/

A breakthrough in the Hank storyline: Thanks to a lost bet and the funniest smash cut of the season (from his eyes rolling back to being wheeled out of the room with flowers on his lap), he's out of the hospital.

So true. Loved that.

I watched that run of Jeopardy!, and like Walter Jr. said, that guy was really good. "What's a yawp?" "It's a loud yell." "That's what I said!"

I thought I saw the rehab counselor dude on the Jeopardy clip?

mylatency said:
    :hard_as_fuck:
    X infinity

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    sunday's episode was one of the most entertaining of the season. there are a few pieces of the story, however, that just don't make sense.

1) the show's writers didn't give jesse enough reason to want to kill those drug dealers in the first place (before they shot his girlfriend's brother). bottom line was that his boy was killed because he was dealing on their turf. it was never personal. all of the sudden jesse is a vigilante?

2) why would skylar want to get involved? she is right that you cannot compel a married woman to testify against her husband. in fact, the husband can utilize the privilege too and the court will prohibit the wife from testifying even if she wants to. that should be the end of the discussion. are we really supposed to believe that she wants to involve herself so that she can properly launder the money? or because she thinks a court would already find that she is complicit in walt's actions? not believable.

• KVH: i think both jesse's and skylar's actions at this point are not necessarily motivated by reason. in fact, the "reasons" they give are more or less rationalizations to just do whatever the hell they feel like doing.

skylar wants her own shop so she can boss people around and feel important and whatever. jesse is basically still reeling over the death of his last gf which he may or may not feel responsible for deep down. perhaps his misguided attempt to save thomas was an attempt to to make amends or something to that effect?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    amazing ending! i love Walt's expression as he heard the news about the 11 year old kid and how that became the catalyst to finally make Walt relate to Jesse and provoked Walt to act on a strong emotional impulse like him. Still can't believe that he would not have the sense to think about how this would put his family in danger, but I guess that's the point because it's setting up a stronger, more loyal bond in their odd couple meets dysfunctional father-son relationship.

keithvanhorn said:
    sunday's episode was one of the most entertaining of the season. there are a few pieces of the story, however, that just don't make sense.

1) the show's writers didn't give jesse enough reason to want to kill those drug dealers in the first place (before they shot his girlfriend's brother). bottom line was that his boy was killed because he was dealing on their turf. it was never personal. all of the sudden jesse is a vigilante?

Jesse's one moral boundary when it comes to drugs is when it affects/harms children. he has been super sensitive to this ever since he showed up to that junkie couple's place to take back the stolen bag and saw the neglected kid there and the smacked out mom push the atm machine on the dad's head. also, the kid walking into the living room was the reason why he couldn't go through with selling to the woman at the NA meeting. I can understand why Gus using kids as runners compels violent anger in Jesse.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    that's a good point about jesse's history with kids. obviously, it's a bit hypocritical considering he is responsible for ruining families and killing kids, albeit without it happening right under his nose. but you are right, the show's writers have definitely made an effort to define his moral boundaries.

Also remember how quickly Jesse changed his tune when he saw the girl in rehab had a kid. The reason he was there was to get her using again.

also, regarding Combo, Jesse said "I put him on that corner." he clearly feels some responsibility for his death and wants personal revenge. unlike Gus, Jesse hires people who are friends to be on the front line and ends up with these personal emotional attachments. a tremendous flaw for someone trying to move into baller status.

Jesse is such an impulsive and emotionally unstable character. It gives me a headache to try to analyse his motivations.

If you get the show through iTunes, there's a bonus panel discussion where Vince mentions that they originally intended to kill off Jesse in the first season, but found something very rich in the narrative of Walt's persistent attempts to help Jesse.

Now we have to see what Jesse is going to do after Walt saved (again). Is Mike right? Will he just keep doing the same stupid shit? Or was this what it took to straighten him out?

my boyfriend thinks that contrary to the idea that they've endangered themselves and their loved ones, walt's actions will somehow elevate their status in Gus's organization

edith head said:
    my boyfriend thinks that contrary to the idea that they've endangered themselves and their loved ones, walt's actions will somehow elevate their status in Gus's organization

He may be right. Because it's difficult to understand why Gus would even let it get this far.

Fatback said:
    edith head said:

He may be right. Because it's difficult to understand why Gus would even let it get this far.

I don't think Gus has as much power as he think he does. He's a business man and him telling them "no more children" and forcing them to shake hands is such a superficial solution and sounds like something a helpless parent does. I think one of the points of this episode and plot is to expose Gus as not being infallable and bulletproof. He tried to intimidate both at the meeting and to not cross him but that didn't work. Jesse tried to kill those gang dudes. And they obviously didn't care enough about Gus's orders to resist the temptation of revenge.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    edith head said:

Jesse's one moral boundary when it comes to drugs is when it affects/harms children. he has been super sensitive to this ever since he showed up to that junkie couple's place to take back the stolen bag and saw the neglected kid there and the smacked out mom push the atm machine on the dad's head.

I imagine that Jesse's issues extend back to his protective feelings for his younger brother Jake. It's been far too long since I've revisited season one, but I remember Jesse covers for Jake's joint when his parents find it in the house. Doing this solidifies his estrangement with his parents.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    FATBACK DID YOU NOTICE THE LACK OF A VEGETABLE PLATTER DURING THE MEETING WITH POLLOZ

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Brian said:
    FATBACK DID YOU NOTICE THE LACK OF A VEGETABLE PLATTER DURING THE MEETING WITH POLLOZ

Ha ha, I definitely noticed that. I wonder if it's symbolic of Gus starting to lose control of the situation.

Plus it was weird seeing Walt sitting on Gus' side of the table.

• Walt straightening his jacket once he sent Jesse on his way to Gale's was so baller.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    EPIC AS FUK
    EMMY AWARDS ALL AROUND
    SERIOUSLy

EPIC

• 48volts48volts 18 Posts
    I think this has been one of my favorite episodes so far. I was on the edge on my seat for the last 10 minutes. Intense...

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    :face_melt:

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    okay i've been rewinding the end. what do you guys think jesse shot at?

he didn't shoot to wound cause he didn't drop his aim so he wouldn't have hit the lab assistant. if he would've shot that gangster that went to rush to his place he was kind of slow to pull the trigger and you'd think the gangster would've been fast enough to get the drop on him. so did he just not have the guts to kill? also i've been trying to study the room to see what's on the right from the door and I haven't figured out if there's an entry point that the gangster could have used. there's the window but i guess it would have been broken and it would have made a noise that would've been heard..

anyhow hard.as.fuk episode!.

• no question, jesse killed gail. it was an exact parallel of what walter said to mike. jesse realized that as much as he din;t want to kill gail he had no choice.

f*cking amazing season finale. best show ever.

• fishmongerfunk said:
    best show ever.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    ok. after reading that interview and watching the end again, it's obvious that it was the camera moving positions, not jesse's aim. i guess that's what i get for being too impatiant to wake up properly before watching the episode...

this series is definetly in my top3(the other two being sopranos and wire) all time tv-shows. it might even have the potential to be the best so far, but i guess the question is to see how it will pan out in the long run, and if they will somehow drop the ball before the series ends(of course hoping they won't, and so far it doesn't look like they will anytime soon).

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    instead of studying for my final exams in 24 hours, i watched all 3 seasons of this show, and was highly satisfied... not as good as The Wire, but still probably in my top 10 TV series of all time... AMAZING... ending was hard as fuck...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am cueing up the season finale of season 1
    it's already entered the holy tv trinity for me

excellent. all due respect to the Skylar and Hank story lines, but i love that this episode was 100% gangster. the balloon scene was fantastic. and the incredible ending is a great set up for the next season. yeah, Walt popping his collar when Victor ran off was beyond hard as fuck.