New Official Breaking Bad Thread (spoilers)

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    The cinematography on the show is on point.

Each new episode displays a great and unique scene taken from Noir and Italian films.

The "eclipse" scene in the Chicken mans office trailer, where the two were talking while a shadow split each others face while talking was great.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    that was the all-time worst episode of breaking bad. major cringe moments when walt's wife was describing his gambling scheme. jesse's "yo's" are really starting to get irritating...he might as well be saying "step off" or "sit on it" for that matter.

hank, walt and pollo's guy are such good actors that they can still make that pos episode somewhat entertaining.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    that was the all-time worst episode of breaking bad. major cringe moments when walt's wife was describing his gambling scheme. jesse's "yo's" are really starting to get irritating...he might as well be saying "step off" or "sit on it" for that matter.

hank, walt and pollo's guy are such good actors that they can still make that pos episode somewhat entertaining.

disagree. it was tough to follow the last two episodes, but this was not bad. some great comedy with the Pollos commercial, the Nail scene with Saul and the NA meeting scene with Skinny Pete. and if you are just now getting annoyed with Jesse's vocabulary, I wonder if we are watching the same show? also, some important resolution between Gus and Walt. they also needed to bring Sky back into the fold somehow. she proved early in this season that she could sac up. would you expect her to just ride the sideline for the second half? remember she's published short stories in the past. so she's pretty good at making up shit. once she realized Marie was going for it, she really laid into the bullshit. you almost thought she was trying indirectly give Walt some props, but in the end, she stuck it to him again. it's crazy how much she seems to hate Walt. she's like the most evil person on the show.

the Nail scene with Saul and the NA meeting scene with Skinny Pete

a terrible plot line. they are going overboard in showing jesse's self-destructiveness. selling the pollo's meth in the same city? please. his whole crew is unbearable to watch. all of this bothers me only because breaking bad is the only show i look forward to watching at the moment.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    But yo w/o Jesse who would be the main antagonist with the Cartels neutralized and Gus and WW working hand in hand? A debilitated Hank and Gomie?

If Jesse gets put in his place, they will have to develop new characters or maybe Skylar will start cooking her own meth, hah.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    plus dude is making a half million a month and now wants to make extra cream selling what is essentially floor sweepings to a handful of rehab meth heads. Jesse just hasn't been consistant this season - granted he has fallen apart post junkie jane's OD but he seems to oscillate between cold calculating bad man and sketchy tweeker a little too much for mine. minor gripe, but just chiming in on KVH's comment.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    all of this bothers me only because breaking bad is the only show i look forward to watching at the moment.

yeah, this was the weakest episode ever. the whole idea that jesse is going to double cross the chicken guy to make some nickle and dime moves when he is making millions just isn;t credible.

the skyler monolgue about gambling was pathetic, although i sensed it was supposed to be somehow. it was her way of saying that she understood what walt did and why and with ted out the way i guess that leaves the possibility that the divorcees reunite.

btw- i find skyler's character unbearable, to the same degree as janice on sopranos but that takes some real talent to pull off...

what is the explanation for walt's suicidal highway driving scene? my thoughts are that either he thinks he is invincible (now that he knows he narrowly escaped death from the brothers) or he feels evil for putting hank in that situation and now sealing a $15mil a year job.

plus dude is making a half million a month and now wants to make extra cream selling what is essentially floor sweepings to a handful of rehab meth heads. J

well put

Again. Jesse is a dumbass. Has been from episode 1. Now he's dumb and bad. The writing fits. What show have you guys been watching? Breaking Smart?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Again. Jesse is a dumbass. Has been from episode 1. Now he's dumb and bad. The writing fits. What show have you guys been watching? Breaking Smart?

What show have you guys been watching? Breaking Smart?

• i'm not really understanding why people don't like skylar. really? after what walt did?

everybody hates her. take at look at the discussions over at the facebook fanpage. it should actually be called 'the people who hate skylar' fanpage. it's bizarre. people get the same way about betty draper.

i'm not really understanding why people don't like skylar. really? after what walt did?

i do. walt is an ass and a liar but he didn't intentionally try to hurt his family. she sleeps with her boss to be malicious to walt. i find it hard to like her with the selfish/cruel games she plays, not just doing that to piss off walt but it's also messed up leading her boss on into thinking this fling was something meaningful

but like you said earlier, and I agree, none of the main characters are likable--except maybe Hank. why single out Skylar? she's playing the cards she was dealt. and playing them well IMO.

but like you said earlier, and I agree, none of the main characters are likable--except maybe Hank. why single out Skylar? she's playing the cards she was dealt. and playing them well IMO.

ha! the main difference for me is the "unlikeable folks" redeem themselves by providing good comedy at times. i never find skylar funny. even marie i can't stand sometimes, but find her uptight purple demeanor amusing and the scenes in their kitchen with all the purple appliances was comedy gold

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    find her uptight purple demeanor amusing and the scenes in their kitchen with all the purple appliances was comedy gold

damn, not much gets past you. thanks for pointing that out.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    just got season 1...watched the opening scene and got to 3 weeks earlier
    than stopped
    MUST FINISH MASTERS BEFORE GIVING IN
    too scared of getting sucked in...
    is it an addictive edge of your seat show (wire,sopranos)
    or a hard to digest,leaves you thinking (a la Oz)
    also how long are episodes on DVD?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

also how long are episodes on DVD?

About 47 to 48 minutes, or about 5 minutes longer than typical network fare. You should definitely wait until you have a little time to enjoy the show, and for god's sakes stay out of the spoiler threads.

find her uptight purple demeanor amusing and the scenes in their kitchen with all the purple appliances was comedy gold

damn, not much gets past you. thanks for pointing that out.

yeah, I remember laughing at that one scene where she has all the packs of Splenda lined up. and her whole shoplifting thing is kinda cute.

Learn to love me
    Assemble the ways
    Now, today, tomorrow and always

ha! the main difference for me is the "unlikeable folks" redeem themselves by providing good comedy at times. i never find skylar funny. even marie i can't stand sometimes, but find her uptight purple demeanor amusing and the scenes in their kitchen with all the purple appliances was comedy gold

the only thing I've noticed about Gus that is funny would be that he always puts out the cheapo veggie tray for meetings.

that, and maybe the Milfmobile that he drives.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

To be fair, Jesse isn't stupid, he's spoiled. His sense of entitlement leads him to make bad decisions and that makes him a dumbass. He has also demonstrated a degree of cunning although it's largely eclipsed by his self-destructive tendencies and annoying vernacular.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    for the meeting walt was in all black so I'm wondering if he's getting back in to heizenberg mode, but then they end up with him in that blue and yellow shirt at the end so who knows.

I'm wondering if the blame for jesse's skimming off the top is gonna get nailed on Gene. They are definitely going to find out about it.

Gus is my favorite character on the show right now

the only thing I've noticed about Gus that is funny would be that he always puts out the cheapo veggie tray for meetings.

oh man i have never noticed the crudit? platter with gus before. hahaha

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    those platters always cracked me up
    who is he going to meet there that actually will eat that shit?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Gus runs the city and the western region right now
    Jesse better not fuk with him too much
    show is getting really good

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

Jess was a dumbass. we've seen him mature and develop from the chilli P days to surviving a near death scare in the desert with Walt. He's learned to respect the chemistry and the game and pulled up some grown folk moves like renting and furnishing an apartment, managing and concealing his operation, managing and keeping in line a crew of dealers. then the first true love of his life dies and he unravels a bit - i get that, but then he emerges as 'the bad man' and pulls off a cold calculated swindle on his parents which would have required a lot of thought and has his big revenge monologue moment to walt in a darkly lit hospital room. Then 2 episodes later he's acting like he was back in the first episode, all while staying completely clean. Just sayin, i don't think it's consistent character development. Obviously the main theme of the show is greed and Jesse feels he's not getting what he's due but it still seems a little odd. Not ruining the show for me, i just think it's a little off.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I thought Jesse's desire to remain a criminal was the best thing in an otherwise dull* episode.

I disagree that his development has been inconsistent. His maturity has always been more of an act than a belief, and that is coming through now - his line "what?s the point of being an outlaw when you?ve got responsibilities?" was the best of the show and spelled out his mentality perfectly (and his use of "Kafkaesque" was hilarious).

It is completely in line with his character to want to be the boss and believe he can make a bigger piece of the "96 million" doing it himself.

*edit: "dull episode" is unfair - things have just been popping off the past few weeks, and this was a "catch your breath" episode, with lots of plot-building and loose ends tied up.